Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #1

Question Upgrade... or is it?

As an unfortunate IMS lottery winner (8 years ago) I couldn't bear to buy another 986 as much as I love mine. I'm not a fan of the new Subaru... I mean 718 and while I like the 981's more aggressive exterior I'm not crazy about the new interior console layout.

Came across this car at a Pcar dealership out west when I was out of town on a business trip. I just put my deposit down for it and it's going to arrive in 3 weeks.

It's a 09 S (yay dirty valves!) and loaded with options like the turning headlights, LSD, Bose, PCM, vented seats compare to my almost bare-bone base with Litronics and heated seats.

It's the same colour inside and out. The average person probably couldn't tell it's another car.

Last edited by ekam; 03-31-2018 at 12:41 PM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #2

Nice, congrats! love to hear your impressions when you have a chance to get familiar with it. i'd trade dirty valves for IMS any day of the week ; )
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:00 AM   #3

Smile Upgrade ?

Ekam,

Congrats on your new purchase, and am sorry to hear about your IMS failure experience on your previous 986.

I hope you enjoy this 987 of yours as much as you've enjoyed the 986.

t2
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
MWS

Upgrade or not? Sure, with an asterisk. Nice car, and an outstanding replacement.

*i prefer the 986, but I guess I need help. Lol. For me the interior of the 987 is rather flat and bland.

718 Subaru...that's just too darn funny.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #5

BTW, I was invited by Porsche through PCA to drive the 718 at a local track last year when it was first introduced. They couldn't stop telling us how much faster the new car is, but as we all know Boxsters are never about performance numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMHl3R7ba64

Subsequently, the 9x7.2 cars are holding their value. I paid slightly above half off MSRP on this car which is kind of crazy as it's almost 9 years old.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I have a 97 and an 09S. Two completely different cars. Both great. The 09 makes me feel like I can actually drive the 97 at the limit. (I really can't. I also really need a proper PCA DE in my future) The 09S is a rocket-ship. Sports+ button on, watch out. I have had it just over a year (+/- 5200 miles) and already destroyed the rear Pirelli's. And that's with the PDK and never turning the traction control off. Congrats, safe travels and ease into it.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
The 09S is a rocket-ship.
I've driven a 997.2 4S in Germany. It runs out of breath at around 150mph.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I rarely get much above 100. Nor should I. I work for the local Sheriff's department and that would definitely go on my permanent record. Plus, the local freeways are just too congested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
I've driven a 997.2 4S in Germany. It runs out of breath at around 150mph.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the new Subaru... I mean 718
hahahaha this is great
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #10

The car is finally due to arrive tomorrow morning. I already ordered the Fabspeed headers/exhaust but still a few weeks out as they make them per order.

Going to get Ceremic Pro done on it ASAP.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:10 AM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

Congratulations on the new car! Good to see that you're back in the Boxster game.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #12

Only got a few minutes seat time and it's already feeling quite different...

Old 04-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #13

Wow. I think I'm going to miss my 986.

Few observations:
- My 986 felt like a race car compare to the 987. Shifter, clutch, gas pedal all felt soft and no sensation?
- Car is way too quiet.
- You feel the car is moving but you feel less involved. Even turning the key felt like some software is cranking the engine for you instead of the mechanical feel of the 986.
- This is definitely a real hairdresser car, 986 not so.
- Bose sound system is a waste of money.
- Previous owner didn't bother to update the maps on the PCM, which kinda makes this useless at the moment (couldn't even find my street address) too other than the bluetooth feature.
- The DFI motor is VERY rev happy.
- Who actually drives with the Sport button turned off? Makes the motor all retarded. The sport button on my 986 is ALWAYS ON.

I kind of expected it... the mass appeal of Porsche is definitely felt through this car.

Someone needs to do a Restomod on the 986... DFI motor anybody?

Last edited by ekam; 04-30-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Wow. I think I'm going to miss my 986.

Few observations:
- My 986 felt like a race car compare to the 987. Shifter, clutch, gas pedal all felt soft and no sensation?
- Car is way too quiet.
- You feel the car is moving but you feel less involved. Even turning the key felt like some software is cranking the engine for you instead of the mechanical feel of the 986.
- This is definitely a real hairdresser car, 986 not so.
- Bose sound system is a waste of money.
- Previous owner didn't bother to update the maps on the PCM, which kinda makes this useless at the moment (couldn't even find my street address) too other than the bluetooth feature.
- The DFI motor is VERY rev happy.
- Who actually drives with the Sport button turned off? Makes the motor all retarded. The sport button on my 986 is ALWAYS ON.

I kind of expected it... the mass appeal of Porsche is definitely felt through this car.

Someone needs to do a Restomod on the 986... DFI motor anybody?
“- Who actually drives with the Sport button turned off? Makes the motor all retarded. The sport button on my 986 is ALWAYS ON.”

Funny lmao
Old 05-02-2018, 04:01 AM   #15

So the story on dirty valves with a quick chat with my mechanic who deals with VW/Audi, BMW and Pcars.

- Highly dependent on the type of driving you do. If you don't drive your car hard and get stuck in traffic a lot, that's bad news. The engine needs to heat up to reduce the accumulation.

- BMW is worse than Audi on this matter, so much so they make valve cleaning as part of their regular maintenance schedule.

- 100k km would be a safe number for the service. The mechanic says it can be anywhere from 80-200k km, based on your driving style.

- Forced induction engines don't seem to have dirty valves due to extra heat and airflow.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:20 AM   #16
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

So this evolution into appliances is not a Porsche only issue. ALL of the cars have evolved into boring, but extremely competent vehicles.

It’s like the difference between shooting with an old Nikon F or using your iPhone as your camera.

Sure, the iPhone is easier and gives nice photos super fast, but the ART and FUN and SKILL is lost.

PDK and seventeen drive modes just dumbs down the car for the greater masses.

Will a new 718 absolutely spank my 2004 Boxster S “50 Years of the 550 Spyder” Edition six-Speed manual 986? Of course it will.

Do I care? Would I have more fun in the new car?

I’ve driven a 718.

No thanks.

I will keep my old analog car because I’m actually DRIVING her. And driving is a lot more fun than being a passenger.

The same is true for Ferrari, BMW et al.

I have no desire to drive any automatic Ferrari.

Anything designed after about 1995 has lost something. Government regulations have destroyed the fun.

It’s like the Rush song “Red Barchetta” has come true.

Look at London, it will cost you $4,000 a year to drive a 986 in Downton London every year starting next April because they are not Euro 4 compliant.

I’m so glad I’m old and live in the country.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:54 AM   #17

I would've bought a Lotus Elise but ingress and egress get tired VERY quick.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #18
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
So this evolution into appliances is not a Porsche only issue. ALL of the cars have evolved into boring, but extremely competent vehicles.

It’s like the difference between shooting with an old Nikon F or using your iPhone as your camera.

Sure, the iPhone is easier and gives nice photos super fast, but the ART and FUN and SKILL is lost.

PDK and seventeen drive modes just dumbs down the car for the greater masses.

Will a new 718 absolutely spank my 2004 Boxster S “50 Years of the 550 Spyder” Edition six-Speed manual 986? Of course it will.

Do I care? Would I have more fun in the new car?

I’ve driven a 718.

No thanks.

I will keep my old analog car because I’m actually DRIVING her. And driving is a lot more fun than being a passenger.

The same is true for Ferrari, BMW et al.

I have no desire to drive any automatic Ferrari.

Anything designed after about 1995 has lost something. Government regulations have destroyed the fun.

It’s like the Rush song “Red Barchetta” has come true.

Look at London, it will cost you $4,000 a year to drive a 986 in Downton London every year starting next April because they are not Euro 4 compliant.

I’m so glad I’m old and live in the country.
YES!!! Nice rant, completely sums up my view of what has happend to cars...akin to toasting a marshmallow over a campfire vs buying a machine to toast one while you set on your couch watching a nature show....but I guess that's where we're heading. Sigh...
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #19
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1 and eight more characters to make the machine happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
I’m so glad I’m old and live in the (almost) country.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #20
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Oooooh...Lotus Elise.....

.....The Elise was high on my list.

But.

I've been driving a Miata for the past 25 years and the Elise was even more hard core than that fine machine.

I LOVE them, but I needed a sports car that was just slightly more of a GT car for cross-country vacation driving and the Elise would not work for THAT application.

The Boxster is THE perfect compromise sports car for me that is a "pure" mid-engined two seat convertible, yet is JUST big and cushy enough for my spouse and I to drive from coast-to-coast in.

S2000's are nice, too.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote