Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
rggav

Key troubles

I just bought a 2000 Boxster S. It has one working key and one key fob(which works) without the metal key part. I got a valet key cut at keys-in the-post. I thought if I put both on the same key ring the valet key would start the car............NOPE. If I remove the metal key part of the valet key and install it into the fob with no metal key will it start the car????:ah:

RG2000S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
The fob has/needs a transponder in it. Mine look like a glass pill. The car has to be programmed to read each pills corresponding number. If the number is not in the cars memory, it will not start. Open up the fob and see if it is in there. If it is, then you need to take it to the dealer and or a higher end indy to get it programmed. If it isn't, you need to buy a transponder/fob. I believe you can get that from keys-in-the-post also. Either way, you probably need to have the car programmed for another key.

Welcome to tribe.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
The fob has/needs a transponder in it. Mine look like a glass pill. The car has to be programmed to read each pills corresponding number. If the number is not in the cars memory, it will not start. Open up the fob and see if it is in there. If it is, then you need to take it to the dealer and or a higher end indy to get it programmed. If it isn't, you need to buy a transponder/fob. I believe you can get that from keys-in-the-post also. Either way, you probably need to have the car programmed for another key.

Welcome to tribe.
That will not work. The key and transponder came with a very long IPAS code tag, which is the data that has to be entered into the system for the car to recognize the key. No IPAS code, no programing. There is no known way to recover that IPAS code from the transponder itself. If you don't have the original tag, you are out of luck.

Time for new keys and dealer programing, bring a large bag of cash......
Old 03-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
The cheap and 'risky' solution:
DIY: Making cheap spare keys
I have done this to four Boxsters, two of which I sold and explained to the buyers. They were buying at a good price and happy for the extra keys.
While I understand that a pro or a purist would find it to be a cringeworthy solution, to those who own Boxsters as a fun, depreciated car it may make sense.

***I may have mis-read your post. You will need at least one correct key-transponder to make this work.
This glass pill thingy:

Last edited by 78F350; 03-09-2018 at 04:01 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The cheap and 'risky' solution:
DIY: Making cheap spare keys
I have done this to four Boxsters, two of which I sold and explained to the buyers. They were buying at a good price and happy for the extra keys.
While I understand that a pro or a purist would find it to be a cringeworthy solution, to those who own Boxsters as a fun, depreciated car it may make sense.

***I may have mis-read your post. You will need at least one correct key-transponder to make this work.
This glass pill thingy:
What you are describing will get the car running, but with two major caveats: Your alarm and immobilized systems are permanently disabled, making stealing the car a snap. If the car was stolen in this state, insurance would not pay out as you had purposely disabled these systems. Second, the presence of the RFID pill in proximity of the ignition will keep the immobilized and alarm in an active state, which will cause a continuous drain on the car’s battery. This is why the owner’s manual suggests against leaving the car parked in the garage with the key in the ignition.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #6

Let me get this straight...

1. You have one working key (with working key fob).

2. You have another working key fob (missing the metal key part).

3. You had a valet key made that has a removable metal part.

Sounds to me if you take the metal part from the valet key and move it over to the fob that is missing the metal part, you should then have 2 fully working keys. (toss the rest of the valet key - it's useless)...
Old 03-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #7

If you lose your one working key, you will need an expensive service to rekey it. The cheap and effective solution is to go to your local Porsche dealer and have your key and the electronics copied/cloned. Between $250 & $400. Cheap compared to losing the key and needing a new key made from scratch.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
If you lose your one working key, you will need an expensive service to rekey it. The cheap and effective solution is to go to your local Porsche dealer and have your key and the electronics copied/cloned. Between $250 & $400. Cheap compared to losing the key and needing a new key made from scratch.
No dealer I am aware of can “clone” the RFID pill in the key fob, that is why you must have the IPAS code tag.........
Old 03-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #9
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
...the presence of the RFID pill in proximity of the ignition will keep the immobilized and alarm in an active state, which will cause a continuous drain on the car’s battery. This is why the owner’s manual suggests against leaving the car parked in the garage with the key in the ignition.
From what I have observed, it must be in very close proximity, if not actually in the ignition. For the past couple of days I've been running various tests with the key in various locations (inside vs outside of car) and although I'm not done with my observations, it's becoming clear that the key left in the ashtray vs key away from vehicle poses no difference in either alarm or time interior lights stay on. I'll post results later.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
From what I have observed, it must be in very close proximity, if not actually in the ignition. For the past couple of days I've been running various tests with the key in various locations (inside vs outside of car) and although I'm not done with my observations, it's becoming clear that the key left in the ashtray vs key away from vehicle poses no difference in either alarm or time interior lights stay on. I'll post results later.
My comment was directed at another poster who is actually permanently mounting the RFID in very close proximity to the receiver. That will dramatically shorten the car’s battery life.......
Old 03-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Yeah, that’s a no go. You can get the blade copied but not the little green pill. That is a new key and reprogram. Unless you have the original code. I was going to get a second key made and was quoted about 450.00. Not cheap, but a steal compared to most keyless fobs these days.

Can the profession Durametric allow this, or is that a dealer only thing?
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #12
rggav

Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
Let me get this straight...

1. You have one working key (with working key fob).

2. You have another working key fob (missing the metal key part).

3. You had a valet key made that has a removable metal part.

Sounds to me if you take the metal part from the valet key and move it over to the fob that is missing the metal part, you should then have 2 fully working keys. (toss the rest of the valet key - it's useless)...
That is correct. The valet key I ordered does not have a slot all the way around to pry it open..It has a small hole on the metal key side and a square red insert on the back side. I can't figure out how to open it to get the metal key out?
Old 03-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
rggav

Have working FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Yeah, that’s a no go. You can get the blade copied but not the little green pill. That is a new key and reprogram. Unless you have the original code. I was going to get a second key made and was quoted about 450.00. Not cheap, but a steal compared to most keyless fobs these days.

Can the profession Durametric allow this, or is that a dealer only thing?
I have a working key and a working fob with no key.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #14
rggav

on same keyring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
I have a working key and the valet key on the same keyring and still didn't work.

Last edited by RG2000S; 03-12-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #15
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
If I understand you correctly, the FOB (without the blade) works all of the remote functions properly? If that is the case, then all you need is a blade to fit the FOB? Keys in the post will make just the blade that should fit your FOB. I worked with them via pics/email and they were very helpful.

https://keysinthepost.com/product/porsche-key-blade/

You could try to remove the head, from the valet key, and see if it has the same profile. Then put that in into your FOB?

Last edited by rexcramer; 03-12-2018 at 01:49 PM.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #16

Maybe try these guys. Means going without the car for a while but what other options other than the dealer? Lost Porsche Keys

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote