Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #1

Glass v Plastic rear window: which do you prefer?

My 99 has a GAHH replacement top that is coming unglued around the glass.
My first thought is to replace the top and cables that are aged and no longer fulfilling duties.

One of the pitfalls of a glass window top is service accessibility. I learned that the hard way when I was trying some minor service and had to play octopus. However I presume the glass top should last longer? My car is a fair weather car. I don’t really need a rear defroster so that’s not swaying me.

Has anyone had both for an extended period of time?

L1ttleBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Yes. I prefer the glass top because I think it looks way better. The plastic window looks cheap to me. But the biggest reason is i can drop the top no matter how cold it is without having to worry about cracking the plastic window.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Yes. I prefer the glass top because I think it looks way better. The plastic window looks cheap to me. But the biggest reason is i can drop the top no matter how cold it is without having to worry about cracking the plastic window.
(+1)
...one of my cars did have the old style GAHH glass that eventually came out. Replaced it with the newer style.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
For the original frame I prefer plastic as I feel that fits the style better, and allows more visibility on the fewer bows.

For the later frame... glass of course.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Yes, I had both types of top for a couple of years. When I had the chance, I replaced the plastic window top with a glass window top. I was much happier with the glass because it looked better and I could see out much more clearly.

The rear field of view is slightly reduced with glass but IMHO the Boxster's rearward visibility is already so badly compromised that the glass top didn't make it hardly any worse than it already is. But I would recommend that you sit in a friend's car that has the glass top to see firsthand if the slight reduction in rearward visibility is acceptable to you.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:18 AM   #6

I prefer the glass window . I had mine replaced with glass and have no regrets .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #7

Garage
I have plastic, but have seen P cars with glass and look much better. I am switching to glass which can also be tinted easier than plastic
Old 03-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #8

I ended up putting on a 2004 glass window top and frame. You get a big window that works with the included frame and is easy to swap over and you still have good engine access.
If you can get one for around $1000 - basically same price as new top and labor to install.
The aftermarket glass tops sometimes look a bit weird to me and it is quite a job to install.
The best thing about any glass window is ease of use - no getting out to chop - use in any weather, etc.
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #9

Engine accessibility really concerns me, so I'm probably gonna stay with the plastic. I am considering have a new window installed and have the local top shop make so it can zip out and zip back in. Nothing new, they were doing that back in the late 50's & early 60's.

For now, I've ordered cleaner/polish from the guy on Ebay.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
I ended up putting on a 2004 glass window top and frame. You get a big window that works with the included frame and is easy to swap over and you still have good engine access.
If you can get one for around $1000 - basically same price as new top and labor to install.
The aftermarket glass tops sometimes look a bit weird to me and it is quite a job to install.
The best thing about any glass window is ease of use - no getting out to chop - use in any weather, etc.
This is one of the best mods I have done (04 top/frame on my 02) as far as ease of putting the top down in cold Minnesota Spring and Fall weather. Pretty simple swap. Highly recommended if you can find one!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Engine accessibility really concerns me, so I'm probably gonna stay with the plastic. I am considering have a new window installed and have the local top shop make so it can zip out and zip back in. Nothing new, they were doing that back in the late 50's & early 60's.

For now, I've ordered cleaner/polish from the guy on Ebay.
Hi Brian, I replaced mine on my 99 about 2 years ago with one with the plastic window. Partly for originality purposes and it was around $100. cheaper I think at the time. I had a Triumph TR6 years ago and I think the rear plastic window had a zipper on it which I liked.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #12

I have an 03 but in side profile..top up...can't beat the origional profile
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #13

I have an 04 top and frame on my 2000 Boxster. An added bonus is that you also have a headliner which gives the interior of the early cars a higher-quality ambiance. The car is also a bit more quiet with the top up.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #14

Im going with the Gahh German Sonnenland top in metropol blue with glass

Having an Arctic Silver on Black/Black is killing me. Too common and no true color
Old 03-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1ttleBastard View Post
Im going with the Gahh German Sonnenland top in metropol blue with glass

Having an Arctic Silver on Black/Black is killing me. Too common and no true color
Why not burgundy, like 987 RS60? That’s what I’m debating, along with glass vs plastic.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #16

I'm a DIY mechanic so I want the best access to the engine. Plastic. Also as a sporty driver I want the best view. Plastic.

Plastic is more functional. Glass is more cosmetic.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #17

Yeah, plastic for me too. Mine is in great condition fortunately. I don't sweat the "issues" such as the karate chop, not lowering colder than 50 deg etc. Also, though marginal, it is lighter. And the fastest, easiest way to make these cars faster is to make them lighter.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Yeah, plastic for me too. Mine is in great condition fortunately. I don't sweat the "issues" such as the karate chop, not lowering colder than 50 deg etc. Also, though marginal, it is lighter. And the fastest, easiest way to make these cars faster is to make them lighter.
My boxster had the aftermarket glass window when I bought it and switched it to the plastic for the weight savings. Along with making it manual.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by patssle View Post
I'm a DIY mechanic so I want the best access to the engine. Plastic. Also as a sporty driver I want the best view. Plastic.

Plastic is more functional. Glass is more cosmetic.
Bottom line up front - Your comparison between the plastic window and an aftermarket glass-window top is valid. But, I haven't heard anyone say that they regret putting an 03/04 top and frame on an earlier car.

Access to the engine is fine with an 03 or 04 top and frame. I've heard that the aftermarket glass window tops on an original frame make life a bit more difficult for the DIY mechanic.

The rear view with the 03/04 top and frame is also good. The plastic window was larger, but when they get hazy you feel like you are looking through a shower curtain in the back. I kept my plastic window pretty clear with regular polishing, but it was never going to be as nice as glass. Again, I have no first hand experience but I heard that looking through the aftermarket glass windows is like looking through a mail slot.

The glass windows also have a defroster which comes in handy if you drive your car year round.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Why not burgundy, like 987 RS60? That’s what I’m debating, along with glass vs plastic.
Because I like Blue and you're not the boss of me!

Tags
cloth top , new top , plastic window , top replacement