986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Glass v Plastic rear window: which do you prefer? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71193-glass-v-plastic-rear-window-do-you-prefer.html)

L1ttleBastard 02-28-2018 06:23 PM

Glass v Plastic rear window: which do you prefer?

My 99 has a GAHH replacement top that is coming unglued around the glass.
My first thought is to replace the top and cables that are aged and no longer fulfilling duties.

One of the pitfalls of a glass window top is service accessibility. I learned that the hard way when I was trying some minor service and had to play octopus. However I presume the glass top should last longer? My car is a fair weather car. I don’t really need a rear defroster so that’s not swaying me.

Has anyone had both for an extended period of time?

tommy583 02-28-2018 06:47 PM

Yes. I prefer the glass top because I think it looks way better. The plastic window looks cheap to me. But the biggest reason is i can drop the top no matter how cold it is without having to worry about cracking the plastic window.

78F350 02-28-2018 06:58 PM

Yes. I prefer the glass top because I think it looks way better. The plastic window looks cheap to me. But the biggest reason is i can drop the top no matter how cold it is without having to worry about cracking the plastic window.
(+1)
...one of my cars did have the old style GAHH glass that eventually came out. Replaced it with the newer style.

Deserion 02-28-2018 07:34 PM

For the original frame I prefer plastic as I feel that fits the style better, and allows more visibility on the fewer bows.

For the later frame... glass of course. ;)

thstone 02-28-2018 08:03 PM

Yes, I had both types of top for a couple of years. When I had the chance, I replaced the plastic window top with a glass window top. I was much happier with the glass because it looked better and I could see out much more clearly.

The rear field of view is slightly reduced with glass but IMHO the Boxster's rearward visibility is already so badly compromised that the glass top didn't make it hardly any worse than it already is. But I would recommend that you sit in a friend's car that has the glass top to see firsthand if the slight reduction in rearward visibility is acceptable to you.

rfuerst911sc 03-01-2018 02:18 AM

I prefer the glass window . I had mine replaced with glass and have no regrets .

Ciao 03-01-2018 07:00 AM

I have plastic, but have seen P cars with glass and look much better. I am switching to glass which can also be tinted easier than plastic

njbray 03-01-2018 07:57 AM

I ended up putting on a 2004 glass window top and frame. You get a big window that works with the included frame and is easy to swap over and you still have good engine access.
If you can get one for around $1000 - basically same price as new top and labor to install.
The aftermarket glass tops sometimes look a bit weird to me and it is quite a job to install.
The best thing about any glass window is ease of use - no getting out to chop - use in any weather, etc.

Brian in Tucson 03-01-2018 12:39 PM

Engine accessibility really concerns me, so I'm probably gonna stay with the plastic. I am considering have a new window installed and have the local top shop make so it can zip out and zip back in. Nothing new, they were doing that back in the late 50's & early 60's.

For now, I've ordered cleaner/polish from the guy on Ebay.

MN 986 03-01-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbray (Post 564057)
I ended up putting on a 2004 glass window top and frame. You get a big window that works with the included frame and is easy to swap over and you still have good engine access.
If you can get one for around $1000 - basically same price as new top and labor to install.
The aftermarket glass tops sometimes look a bit weird to me and it is quite a job to install.
The best thing about any glass window is ease of use - no getting out to chop - use in any weather, etc.

This is one of the best mods I have done (04 top/frame on my 02) as far as ease of putting the top down in cold Minnesota Spring and Fall weather. Pretty simple swap. Highly recommended if you can find one!

joecal 03-02-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson (Post 564098)
Engine accessibility really concerns me, so I'm probably gonna stay with the plastic. I am considering have a new window installed and have the local top shop make so it can zip out and zip back in. Nothing new, they were doing that back in the late 50's & early 60's.

For now, I've ordered cleaner/polish from the guy on Ebay.

Hi Brian, I replaced mine on my 99 about 2 years ago with one with the plastic window. Partly for originality purposes and it was around $100. cheaper I think at the time. I had a Triumph TR6 years ago and I think the rear plastic window had a zipper on it which I liked.

achillies 03-02-2018 02:20 PM

I have an 03 but in side profile..top up...can't beat the origional profile

KevinH1990 03-02-2018 04:56 PM

I have an 04 top and frame on my 2000 Boxster. An added bonus is that you also have a headliner which gives the interior of the early cars a higher-quality ambiance. The car is also a bit more quiet with the top up.

L1ttleBastard 03-02-2018 06:27 PM

Im going with the Gahh German Sonnenland top in metropol blue with glass

Having an Arctic Silver on Black/Black is killing me. Too common and no true color

Boxstard 03-02-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L1ttleBastard (Post 564214)
Im going with the Gahh German Sonnenland top in metropol blue with glass

Having an Arctic Silver on Black/Black is killing me. Too common and no true color

Why not burgundy, like 987 RS60? That’s what I’m debating, along with glass vs plastic.

patssle 03-02-2018 08:03 PM

I'm a DIY mechanic so I want the best access to the engine. Plastic. Also as a sporty driver I want the best view. Plastic.

Plastic is more functional. Glass is more cosmetic.

Geof3 03-02-2018 10:08 PM

Yeah, plastic for me too. Mine is in great condition fortunately. I don't sweat the "issues" such as the karate chop, not lowering colder than 50 deg etc. Also, though marginal, it is lighter. And the fastest, easiest way to make these cars faster is to make them lighter.

itsnotanova 03-03-2018 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof3 (Post 564231)
Yeah, plastic for me too. Mine is in great condition fortunately. I don't sweat the "issues" such as the karate chop, not lowering colder than 50 deg etc. Also, though marginal, it is lighter. And the fastest, easiest way to make these cars faster is to make them lighter.

My boxster had the aftermarket glass window when I bought it and switched it to the plastic for the weight savings. Along with making it manual.

KevinH1990 03-03-2018 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patssle (Post 564222)
I'm a DIY mechanic so I want the best access to the engine. Plastic. Also as a sporty driver I want the best view. Plastic.

Plastic is more functional. Glass is more cosmetic.

Bottom line up front - Your comparison between the plastic window and an aftermarket glass-window top is valid. But, I haven't heard anyone say that they regret putting an 03/04 top and frame on an earlier car.

Access to the engine is fine with an 03 or 04 top and frame. I've heard that the aftermarket glass window tops on an original frame make life a bit more difficult for the DIY mechanic.

The rear view with the 03/04 top and frame is also good. The plastic window was larger, but when they get hazy you feel like you are looking through a shower curtain in the back. I kept my plastic window pretty clear with regular polishing, but it was never going to be as nice as glass. Again, I have no first hand experience but I heard that looking through the aftermarket glass windows is like looking through a mail slot.

The glass windows also have a defroster which comes in handy if you drive your car year round.

L1ttleBastard 03-03-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxstard (Post 564217)
Why not burgundy, like 987 RS60? That’s what I’m debating, along with glass vs plastic.

Because I like Blue and you're not the boss of me! :D