Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #1

How do I remove the double DIN radio in my 986

I know, it's kind of a dummy question, but it's genuine. I have never worked with a double DIN radio, and I have never worked with the radio in a Boxster (986). Rather than start blindly prying on brittle plastic trim pieces and pulling and prying on the radio, better to fall on my sword and ask. What is the best way to get this thing out of there????

I know the single DIN uses the tools that slide in the sides to release it. This is a motorized face older unit (Eclipse AVN6620). I don't see anything resembling those slots on this radio. I can easily wire it correctly, but I have no idea how to get it out without likely damaging something. Crazy but true.......

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Images

Last edited by Doug427; 02-23-2018 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Add photo
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I know, it's kind of a dummy question, but it's genuine. I have never worked with a double DIN radio, and I have never worked with the radio in a Boxster (986). Rather than start blindly prying on brittle plastic trim pieces and pulling and prying on the radio, better to fall on my sword and ask. What is the best way to get this thing out of there????

I know the single DIN uses the tools that slide in the sides to release it. This is a motorized face older unit (Eclipse AVN6620). I don't see anything resembling those slots on this radio. I can easily wire it correctly, but I have no idea how to get it out without likely damaging something. Crazy but true.......

Any help is greatly appreciated.

At least on mine, the plastic piece surrounding the double din radio is just press fit inset from the horseshoe surround. I would try a small flathead on the lower edge and see if you can pull it out slightly. From there it should come off and you will likely see 4 small screws holding it in. Take those out and the radio should slide out

Jeff
jstoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #3

Looks like -

I believe the black plastic trim piece of the car that surrounds the radio needs to come off. I don't know what it's called. I guess the question is how do I get that off without breaking it?
Old 02-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #4
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

um.......

...........c4?
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

Garage
you have to remove the two side panels on each side(with switches and lighter). Then there are 4 torx head screws.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #6

Thanks. Do they just pry off with soft pry tools?
Old 02-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #7

Pry tools are a good idea. But if you don't have any, you can just use the redneck way and pull very hard to remove the side covers:

3:40

https://youtu.be/J38MVG0MASw

Last edited by Smallblock454; 02-23-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:48 AM   #8

just take the leather pads out near your knees (pull towards the outside of the car from the front of the car end), you can then grip the surrounds at the bottom and pull straight up and out towards the rear.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #9

Keep in mind too, the radio is part of the immobilizer system and has to be wired correctly if going aftermarket. Haven't done it myself, just an issue to be aware of.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #10

Immobilizer. Last month I had never heard of the word. Now, I buy my first Porsche and the mere mention of the word make me ticked off.

I guess it's just the power and ground lines that the immobilizer can see? I can;t imagine anything to do with speakers runs through it.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Immobilizer. Last month I had never heard of the word. Now, I buy my first Porsche and the mere mention of the word make me ticked off.

I guess it's just the power and ground lines that the immobilizer can see? I can;t imagine anything to do with speakers runs through it.
I do not know. I know that later models have part of the interface through the instrument cluster, (been researching a cluster swap, but decided against it for multiple reasons) I would guess the earlier ones do too. I'm sure someone here has dealt with these before. But, definitely want to research a how to.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:

Rereading your post it looks as though the current system is aftermarket. I would guess that if you don't have any issues, and the installer used a proper adapter, you should be fine.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Rereading your post it looks as though the current system is aftermarket. I would guess that if you don't have any issues, and the installer used a proper adapter, you should be fine.
I'm thinking that while of course the new radio will have a different plug than the old one, I will just use the same leads for power and ground to the new adapter plug and all should (at least in theory) be well.

I'm very curious as to how the new radio will work. I took a chance on something new, I ordered one of those Android touch screen head units off of eBay. They look very, very cool on eBay. We'll see what the reality is when it's installed. They're cheap enough (I paid $148) that if it turns out to be a dud it's not a huge financial loss.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:11 AM   #14

I have a Chinese Android system, on my second one now, my last one was a few years old and the new one's much faster.

As you already have an aftermarket kit fitted, hopefully whoever did the installation last time already wired in a standard DIN plug, in which case it should be plug and play. Might just be a couple of extra/optional wires you need to attach (e.g for reverse camera if you have one, illumination etc).

Depending on the unit you bought you might need to get a bit creative with a dremel on the facia surround (the 'black plastic trim piece of the car that surrounds the radio' you describe above, which should just pull straight out), the Chinese units tend to be a few mm larger that 'standard' double din, annoyingly, so getting them 'flush' takes a bit of fiddling.

Last edited by oldskool73; 02-25-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:54 AM   #15