Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #1

Following my Boxster with a drone

So we had a nice weather day today for once, and I decided to play with my drone and Boxster. I bought a DJI Spark last month, and it does what is called Active Track. You draw a box around a subject and it follows it.

https://youtu.be/zutFriCBCkM

Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Cool. What is the fastest you could drive and it be able to keep up? Do you choose the hover altitude and is it adjustable?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #3

Hover altitude is adjustable. Fastest I think it can go is about 25 mph.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

That is really cool!

I ran a drone company from 2013-2017 but we focused all of our efforts on applying drones to farms and agriculture.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #5

That's not bad. Smooth. But as a former cinematographer I would of liked to see some camera moves , something similar to what I've done in this music video I shot https://youtu.be/f5evR6rw9Ik . I know sometimes it's easier said than done, my Porsche videos I do pretty amateur style www.youtube.com/amazingquirks as I try to focus on what I'm doing and don't have help like I would on a film set bit just sharing
Amazing Quirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #6

Ha cool! Obviously need some wide open space. It would be cool to do one right off the back of the car.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
That is really cool!

I ran a drone company from 2013-2017 but we focused all of our efforts on applying drones to farms and agriculture.
I’ve been reading about that. Never really thought of it until I bought mine. They have all kinds of good and positive uses. The LAFD has one they use to find hotspots in wildfires. A police department out here on the east coast just used one to find a guy who’d gone missing while hiking a month or so ago.

As for the angle it can track from. It can do it from any angle you want. I plan on playing with it more and seeing what it can do. I watched a few videos last night on YouTube. One guy got up to 30mph and it was keeping up.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Quirks View Post
That's not bad. Smooth. But as a former cinematographer I would of liked to see some camera moves , something similar to what I've done in this music video I shot https://youtu.be/f5evR6rw9Ik . I know sometimes it's easier said than done, my Porsche videos I do pretty amateur style www.youtube.com/amazingquirks as I try to focus on what I'm doing and don't have help like I would on a film set bit just sharing

It was just me playing. I didn’t operate the drone at all. I set it in a mode called active track. It followed the car automatically. It was a last minute thing when I got off work and there was still daylight. I even forgot the ND filter for the lense.