Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #1

Ignition Coils causing car not to start?

So a while back my 2000 boxster needed the pulley on the alternator to be replaced.After i replaced it the car wouldnt start. (Here's a video of it when i try and start it.) Its for sure not the battery, i tried jump starting it and even switched in a battery that was for sure charged.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pedxsov6gcxEBjGwx9SAqkr_97ZAOxqX/view

So after doing some research i thought maybe my spark plugs or ignition coils went bad since they have not been changed since i got the car. I found that the tip of 3 ignition coils were cracked (i attached some photos). The spark plugs also have some oil on them and think i just have to replace the tube and o-ring for that.

My question is whether these problems are significant enough to cause my engine not to start?I have to move the car soon and dont know whether to take it home to work on it if its something i can do, or take it to a mechanic.

Thanks in advance.

jpdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Did the engine run before the alternator pulley was replaced?

(you can probably see where I'm going with this...)
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Did the engine run before the alternator pulley was replaced?

(you can probably see where I'm going with this...)
Yes and no. I was able to turn it on once when I moved the car to work on the pulley. I tried to turn it on with the engine cover off (and old pulley on) but wouldn’t turn on.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:16 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
The crack shown in your picture is just the tip of the boot. Not very significant. A significant crack in a coil would show in the hard plastic part on the end where the wires plug in. Also, I'd expect that at least a couple of the cylinders would try to fire. Yours all seem silent.
First, I would inspect ALL of the wiring that you touched, or may have disturbed while replacing the alternator. Next, basic troubleshooting: Fuel. Air. Spark.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The crack shown in your picture is just the tip of the boot. Not very significant. A significant crack in a coil would show in the hard plastic part on the end where the wires plug in. Also, I'd expect that at least a couple of the cylinders would try to fire. Yours all seem silent.
First, I would inspect ALL of the wiring that you touched, or may have disturbed while replacing the alternator. Next, basic troubleshooting: Fuel. Air. Spark.
Thanks for the response 78F350.
I thankfully only had to replace the pulley on the alternator so I didn’t have to take the alternator out. I had the same thought about any cables I might of disconnected on accident however there’s no cables or connections near the alternator or pulleys. Does anyone know if I might of overlooked any connections that would cause my car not to start?

Also am I safe to assume that the car would still turn on if the alternator is bad?(with a battery that is charged)
Old 01-31-2018, 01:32 PM   #6

I would start with the most basic check of all and that is to see if you popped any fuses, considering you were doing something with the alternator and had a loss of battery power and jump starting it is easy to just have a fuse pop and either the ECM or fuel pump not come on. After that start checking for spark and fuel.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:06 PM   #7

Could be that you disconnect the ground cable from the engine to the frame, behind the passenger side?

I am sorry but cannot see the relation between the alternator and the coil packs, other than a harness connection that you knocked loose.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignition coils , spark plugs