Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

Code 46 Throwing Airbag Light

Apparently my 986 thinks my belt buckle (Code 46 Driver Belt Buckle) is unsatisfactory. I know I gained a lot of weight over Christmas but throwing an airbag light because my belt buckle is loosened a couple of notches is just plain uncalled for.

Yes, the light stays on when the seat belt is on.

Thoughts? I personally think I should take out the airbag warning light

https://www.porscherepair.us/porsche-986/fault-code.html calls for disconnecting the plug connection XI6 and testing. Not sure where X16 is but I assume there is a plug on the base of the buckle.

Last edited by Porsche-Eh; 01-23-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Porsche-Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #2

Oh, found my own answer: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/41177-airbag-fault-code-45/ and https://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/236-seatbelt-airbag-light/

BUT, I do have a follow-up someone might be able to answer: If the airbag light is on because of the driver's or passenger's side buckle error will the respective airbags still deploy? In other words, until I do the fix (see links above) am I driving around with no driver's airbag? I don't understand why the airbag would care if the seat belt is being detected as buckled or not. It would seem to me that the airbag should deploy regardless.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited by Porsche-Eh; 01-23-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Airbags are disabled when the fault light is on. There is a TSB covering fixing this which you have already found in the link above.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 01-23-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-Eh View Post
Oh, found my own answer: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/41177-airbag-fault-code-45/ and https://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/236-seatbelt-airbag-light/

BUT, I do have a follow-up someone might be able to answer: If the airbag light is on because of the driver's or passenger's side buckle error will the respective airbags still deploy? In other words, until I do the fix (see links above) am I driving around with no driver's airbag? I don't understand why the airbag would care if the seat belt is being detected as buckled or not. It would seem to me that the airbag should deploy regardless.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Airbag can hurt you without you restrained with seatbelt during crash. Later moder cars have belt pretensioner for this reason.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Airbags are disabled when the fault light is on. There is a TSB covering fixing this which you have already found in the link above.
Thanks!

Seems like a possible solution / work around for people who want to put little children in the front passenger seat. Simply install a switch that interupts the ground on the passenger seat belt buckle and presto the passenger air bag is disabled.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Airbag can hurt you without you restrained with seatbelt during crash. Later moder cars have belt pretensioner for this reason.
Right. Early car air bags do scare me. Are ALL the airbags disabled or just the driver's steering wheel air bag I wonder? The car does have airbags in the doors as well.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-Eh View Post
Right. Early car air bags do scare me. Are ALL the airbags disabled or just the driver's steering wheel air bag I wonder? The car does have airbags in the doors as well.

Thanks!
Just closing this off as I finally did figure out what was causing it - an upplugged cable under the driver’s seat! Plugged it back in and all was good.

I noticed it finally because my power tilt on my seat stopped working. So, if you get and airbag light check to see if your seat still moves