Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #1

Sway bars

So I've been considering adding M030 sways to my 04S. I don't do any serious driving or anything, I just thought it would be a relatively simple mod to tighten the handling a bit. I came across this chart that shows that Cayman sways are fairly comparable to M030 sways and was wondering if 987 sways in general were compatible with a 986 as they can be found pretty cheap on ebay. For search purposes, can anyone clarify if there are any differences in thickness and diameter (or even fitment) between the 987.1 Cayman S and Boxster S bars? They have slightly different part numbers.

Lastly, would there be any adverse effects of upgrading the rear bar alone? It's much simpler to install so I would probably do it first and may not even bother changing the front depending on the outcome. My previous car was FWD (understeered) so most people, myself included, just changed the rear bar and left the front bar stock. This car is obviously different, so I thought I'd check first.

boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #2

Front Cayman bar isn't compatible with 986 boxster but rear should be.

Some folks like to put just the rear M030 as the stiffer rear bar can help the car rotate more. I've never run this configuration myself as I have both M030 bars.

Last edited by steved0x; 01-01-2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: booster autocorrect typo
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:17 AM   #3

Thanks for the info regarding the front bar. Looks like I might just try the rear cayman bar considering how cheap they are. I've noticed some are sold with endlinks and some are sold without. I know I will need the bushings and little metal brackets/clamp pieces for the cayman bar but I'm assuming the endlinks on my car right now will work just fine?

Also, I've found out that the 987 base cayman rear bar is 18.5mm. According to ECS, the 987 base boxster, boxster s, and cayman s all use the 19.3mm rear bar referenced in the chart. At least for the 987.1 non PASM cars. For anyone considering this upgrade, the part number for the 19.3mm bar is 98733370104.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #4

i have just a cayman rear bar. Not much of a difference, but maybe a touch better on turn in. For a street car, I would not waste the money.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #5

Appreciate the input. Might not bother with it in that case.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:45 AM   #6

also, from what i've read, the Cayman S bar won't fit a 986.

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote