Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 09:15 AM   #21

I love Forest Green

The dark olive metallic is also quite nice.

Xenons: no debate (can't believe they aren't standard in a car of this class)

One reason they're not standard is because the stock headlights are excellent. They use an H7 clear-glass projector beam not a standard reflector setup, and in no way resemble the halogens on a 986. The non-xenons are also color-matched to the other lights so debatably look better. I'm not trying to talk you out of the xenons, but you see alot of dealer spec cars without xenons which is partly attributable to Porsche removing the xenons from Preferred Package after 05, but is also a testament to the quality of the standard lights. The only time I notice the increased performance of the xenons is when I use high beams.

But should I get it in conjunction with the Bose? I love my music (have 2600 track Phatbox in the tt)

We love to malign the CD24 but frankly it's an above average sounding stock stereo (better for example, than the stock stereo in the SLK350). Top up it actually sounds good, it's top down that's the problem. The engine noise in the base 987 makes it noticeably louder top-up or down then the S which is also a less than ideal place to appreciate the finer nuances of a stereo system. The Bose is pretty good, I'd give it a 7 out of 10, but still is no match for 90 mph in fourth with the top and windows down.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #22
bmussatti

Those greens are very nice colors. Just don't do the Rolex Green option!

The Forest Green Metallic (code 53) is $825.

The Dark Olive Metallic (7G) is $3,070.

IMHO, I think there is a lot better way to spend $3,000 on options.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #23

John Y quote:
"Now if I opted for a coupe however, there has to be soemthing to replace that huge experience that is being missed out on, and that can only be one thing...powa! So I'd go for a Cayman S in that case. I'd love to get input on any of this from you guys!"

I don't quite get your logic. Why pay more for a coupe (Cayman S) when you can have the roadster that you really want (07 Boxster S) with the same power (295HP) for less?

Frankly, I am surprised by how many list the xenons as a must. Just don't get the hype and they were at the bottom of my list.

Dollar for dollar there is nothing on the options list of a Base Boxster that can beat the 3.4L engine upgrade (i.e. the "S upgrade") -- both in performance, everyday feel, and resale value. Of course, IMHO and to each their own.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
John Y - There are quite a few of us Daily Drivers out there. But there is also a very large contingent who winter their cars. To each their own.

I've always had the mindset of getting the best engine available. It keeps the buyers regret lower when I'm next to some guy with the exact same car but more horsepower. It also helps tremendously with resale.

Just my $.02 - but don't buy a Non-S and then start posting threads about trying to get more power....
I agree with you, and I've spent plenty of $$ on my TT and GTI, where there is cheap horsepower to be had; I'm aware there really are no effective (in bang for the buck terms, anyway) options when it comes to upgrading these cars, since they are normally aspirated, and because Porsche doesn't leave much on the table, unlike the VW or the Audi - the Boxster motor comes fairly fully-tweaked from the factory, I suppose.

I may have been unclear in my first post that I think I could live with a Cayman as an only car, but that would be more difficult with a Boxster. I could swing paying for a Boxster and my new GTI (the fun but still practical car), but if I go Cayman S that would have to be my only car - I'd need to use the equity in the other two (mostly in the TT which is paid off) and there's no need to keep the GTI if I have a Cayman. I am finding two cars just for me to be a luxury I don't need, and in addition to the cost, taking care of them and keeping them in the condition I like is often a PITA, too. That's why I asked how many of you make do with just the Box - the Cayman would seem a better choice for an only car, though I suppose it may not be MUCH more practical than the Box...?
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #25

[I don't quite get your logic. Why pay more for a coupe (Cayman S) when you can have the roadster that you really want (07 Boxster S) with the same power (295HP) for less?

As I tried to explain below to another poster, it's because I would rather have 1 car than two at this point, and the Cayman seems like a better bet than the Box, if that's the case. But if my love for the Roadster prevails over my desire to have just 1 car, then I'll go for the Boxster and keep my GTI as a 'practical' car. Keeping and (paying for) 2 cars is $$, so the TTR will go and I can manage a non-S, and my GTI. Is that clearer?

Frankly, I am surprised by how many list the xenons as a must. Just don't get the hype and they were at the bottom of my list.

I guess it's because the HIDs on my GTI and TT are alot better than any of the non-HID lamps I've experienced on other cars; sound as if that may not be so much the case on the Porsches...

Dollar for dollar there is nothing on the options list of a Base Boxster that can beat the 3.4L engine upgrade (i.e. the "S upgrade") -- both in performance, everyday feel, and resale value. Of course, IMHO and to each their own.[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with that at all, although on fairly short test drives last year, I didn't feel the 3.2 was dramatically better than the 2.7l. I thought both had great response, quite flat torque curves, and rev-ability, though neither amazed me with the amount of torque - I'm comparing to two chipped, turbo cars. The 2.7 is way off what the GTI or TT put out in terms of torque. Yet, because of the things I just listed, as well as curb weight, it never felt under-powered. I will be driving the variocam-plus 2.7l this weekend, albeit in a Cayman.

Money and the practicality (almost one and the same) issues hold me back from the S. To put it another way, the only 'S' I can afford is the Cayman, to my way of thinking, as odd as it sounds. Initially more expensive, but I would be unloading 2 vehicles instead of 1, not to mention insuring, storing, maintaining and generally squandering my time obsessively, over 1 instead of 2 cars! Better in the long run, I think. Now if you guys convince me the Boxster S is every bit as practical and good a long-term prospect as the Cayman S, then it's a win-win! BTW, I've never been this undecided about a car before; I never had to shop or compare, because there was only 1 vehicle I really wanted. But these 4 Cayman and Boxster models are giving me fits!

Last edited by John Y; 08-10-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:53 AM   #26

And thanks for everyone's input so far! I've already learned some things I didn't know SD987, I guess I will have to pay attention to the sound system for a change on the next Boxster or Cayman I drive...

Last edited by John Y; 08-10-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #27

As I tried to explain below to another poster, it's because I would rather have 1 car than two at this point, and the Cayman seems like a better bet than the Box, if that's the case. But if my love for the Roadster prevails over my desire to have just 1 car, then I'll go for the Boxster and keep my GTI as a 'practical' car. Keeping and (paying for) 2 cars is $$, so the TTR will go and I can manage a non-S, and my GTI. Is that clearer?

Clear. Your previous post explained it.

Money and the practicality (almost one and the same) issues hold me back from the S. To put it another way, the only 'S' I can afford is the Cayman, to my way of thinking, as odd as it sounds. Initially more expensive, but I would be unloading 2 vehicles instead of 1, not to mention insuring, storing, maintaining and generally squandering my time obsessively, over 1 instead of 2 cars! Better in the long run, I think. Now if you guys convince me the Boxster S is every bit as practical and good a long-term prospect as the Cayman S, then it's a win-win! BTW, I've never been this undecided about a car before; I never hard to shop or compare, because there was only 1 vehicle I really wanted. But these 4 Cayman and Boxster models are giving me fits!

For me, the roadster part of the Boxster was THE largest attraction. The way the engine sounds with the top down is just magical -- a four wheel motorcycle with all the safety that comes with it. And I don't think I'd be salivating as much over my impending early Saturday morning drive if it wasn't in a roadster. So if it was me, and if you don't plan to track much, I'd just keep it simple and forget the Cayman.

Consider unloading the two cars and get a Boxster S with just windstop and heated seats (Bose or not) + a used Maxima/Camry/Accord/Civic/etc for $6-9k to drive in winter or around town (especially if you live around NYC). That would simplify care, insurance, and maintanance a lot, and allocate cars optimally between pleasure and utility. Again, just IMHO.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #28

Those are some good points, Z12358. I see a Box S stickering for between 57.5 and 59.5, along the lines you're suggesting. I suppose the rubber will hit the road when I find out what kind of a break I can expect on an ordered car as opposed to one from dealer stock.

By the way, what kind of mileage do you get with your S? And what is the insurance premium difference between standard and non-S, typically? I know, I should've searched for those, and I will, but I'd appreciate people's real world input; thanks.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:02 PM   #29
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Y
By the way, what kind of mileage do you get with your S? And what is the insurance premium difference between standard and non-S, typically? I know, I should've searched for those, and I will, but I'd appreciate people's real world input; thanks.
Mileage on my car is about 24 MPG on the highway with the top down.

I think it is almost impossible to really compare insurance rates among other owners (you vs. me for example) because of locations, driving records, claims history and actual coverage. Now, doing a comparison among vendors (Geico vs State Farm) is another issue that could prove beneficial.

At the end of the day, you still get-what-you-pay-for. So be careful. Cheap insurance may prove to be cheap service and poor coverage.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #30

I see a Box S stickering for between 57.5 and 59.5, along the lines you're suggesting. I suppose the rubber will hit the road when I find out what kind of a break I can expect on an ordered car as opposed to one from dealer stock.

You should be able to get a VERY good deal on a 06 S from stock right now and through the rest of the year (but, of course, from a shrinking pool of colors and options available). Consider scanning your area dealers this winter (say, Dec 30) for the best deals, both on 07s and 06s (I've heard of $10k+ off MSRP). I would think the discount for stock would be considerable vs an ordered one, so if you don't intend to customize a lot (which I don't recommend anyway) buying from stock should be worthwhile.

I've been getting 23mpg with mixed driving -- mostly country roads with a lot of shifting gears and little highway, which is close to bmussatti's number. Don't worry about the milleage too much, it will be in that area, and one could argue that the S would get better than the base as you will strain it less.

I found Geico to be most competitive by far for the Porsche so I switched my other car to them as well for even a better deal. The package was much less than what I was expecting to pay. You just have to do your own legwork (ok, mousework) on this one but I don't think the base will be much different from the S.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #31

I'm only averaging 17.8 mpg and 30mph on our crowded local roads. That's a 987S with 5100 miles.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #32

I disagree heartily with SD987 about the stereo--it's the worst premium system I've ever heard and used in my life. Don't spend any extra money on it at Porsche!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #33

Denverpete you have some good points - I will take all of that into consideration. I am trying to keep a hard line on how much money I am going to spend though. But thanks for the comments.

Does anyone out there have any experience w/ a 6 speed base (2.7). Some input there will help my decision.

Thanks,

Tony
Maxhouse97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:01 AM   #34
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JB
IMO and it's only my opinion I do not intend to offend anyone SC is a waste of money as is PSM unless you're going to the track. Note that Porshce does not claim an faster 0-60 times with SC. It's a gimmick with a wart to boot. The chrono has got to have Porsche laughing in its sleep. You can't use the silly thing effectively with the stalk let alone read it while driving.

Hi 1JB, I have just a few comments for you.

I have the Sport Chrono and like it! This was one of those options that I just did not know if I really wanted to include in my custom build & factory order. Many people said it was a "must have" while others said it was "as waste". Just about everyone said the "wart" on the dash looks awful and to some extent I agree with the wart comment . Ultimately I decided to get it, because I did not want to have the "buyer’s remorse" thing and in principle the SC makes sense on paper from a technical perspective. And for the $920 I was willing to roll-the-dice!

I drove several demos, with and without, but I could not really tell the difference. I think this is because I am not really familiar with the car and not really getting into it from a performance standpoint.

In your post I think you are confusing PSM with PASM (or it was just a typo! ).

PSM- is Porsche Stability Management (standard on the 987)
PASM- is Porsche Active Suspension Management (option code #475 for $1,990)

Sport Chrono interacts with both. AND THIS WAS THE MAIN SELLING POINT TO ME. While I do not have the PASM option I can definitely see the added advantage of SC with the standard PSM. With SC engaged, you can give more driver input to the car, especially in aggressive cornering, before the PSM kicks-in to make adjustments for under steer & over steer and power to the rear-end. As I see it, this is the major benefit of SC and makes it more worthwhile vs. worthless.

As for making the car have more throttle response...it does...but this effect is less noticeable than the interaction with PSM, for me at least. The car has great throttle response on its own!

SC does interact with PASM (if you have this option) by putting the car in sport mode for the suspension.

SC also interacts with the cars "rev-limiter" but I have not experienced this, since I don't get that high in the rev range.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:17 AM   #35
1JB

bmussatti - Thanks for the insights. You're right I did mean PASM. I even thought about before I typed and still mixed it up. I do it all the time. I was really trying to get to whether the prospective buyer should by a base Boxster with those options or an S without. I'd go for the S without. I got into the build on line syndrome and kept adding options because I didn't want buyer's remorse either. In the end it turned out the dealer had a car coming in with the minimum options I wanted and PASM and SC weren't among them along with self dimming lights and auto sensor rain wipers. I bought the car and think it's absolutely perfect but I don't drive aggressively just spiritedly.

Did you get your painted side vents from Bumperplugs? I"ve had a set on order for 6 weeks from them and they're scheduled to arrive in 2 weeks hopefully. Did you install them yourself? I've done all the searches and think I know how to take the old ones out. If you did it yourself did you just basically pull the old ones out with some down force while you pulled on each vent slat that has a clip? tyi.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:52 AM   #36
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JB
Did you get your painted side vents from Bumperplugs? I"ve had a set on order for 6 weeks from them and they're scheduled to arrive in 2 weeks hopefully. Did you install them yourself? I've done all the searches and think I know how to take the old ones out. If you did it yourself did you just basically pull the old ones out with some down force while you pulled on each vent slat that has a clip? tyi.

Hey 1JB, I think the whole Sport Chrono thing is one of the harder options to understand. Many of the dealerships got it screwed-up too in their explanations when I was shopping for the car and options, last year.

Yes, www.bumperplugs.com did my painted side vents. Eric Sklut's work is excellent and his personal attention to detail and customer service are even better. I wish he were a sponsor here and an active member like he is on the RennTech site. Maybe Brucelee is working on this.

I have pictures posted with my painted side vents. Do a search and you should find them. Another forum member, with a Guards Red Boxster, had it done, and his car looks great. Eric is also doing a painted Cayman vent swap for the Boxster.

The dealership that I purchased my car from did the install for me prior to final delivery. They charged me $20! This was very worthwhile because I have heard that the process requires a lot of pushing & pulling to get them out, and I feared that I may do it wrong.

You know, I almost bought a Midnight Blue Metallic Boxster! What a great color! I decided on the white because I knew it would be easier to keep clean!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #37

Maxhouse97, John Y --

Good luck with your searches and keep us posted on the final outcomes.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:56 AM   #38

Thanks z12358, will do. Had a fairly long drive in a new Variocam Plus 2.7l Cayman this weekend, which gave me some more things to think about. Posted my thoughts on it in response to a question from MikenOH in the "VarioCam Plus" discussion thread...
Old 08-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #39

Buy the Porsche extended warranty. Only available from them at purchase time.

Money well spent.

Good luck

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:14 AM   #40

"Buy the Porsche extended warranty. Only available from them at purchase time."

Just called the dealer and asked him about it. Says:
-- No such thing.
-- Some time ago Porsche used to contact owners before their 4yr warranty expired and offered them the CPO extension warranty. He's not sure they still do it.

I'd have considered an extended Porsche warranty if it was available when I purchased my 06 S three months ago.