Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #21

I found this thread very interesting because I'm also in the market. Well maybe not in the market until next year but appears we have a similar budget.

I think I would lean toward #1 just because it is a newer model and an S. If I were to get that one I would immediately replace the bearing/clutch just because that IMS concerns me and I wouldn't be able to enjoy the car. The mileage mildly concerns me so I guess it may have some maintenance bills coming. I have read about suspension refreshing so something to think about.

I also liked the 2001 because it appears to have a lot of maintenance has been completed. A lot depends on the type of IMS bearing that was used. If it was the 'upgraded' bearing it would increase my interest but if it was OEM I wouldn't think about it. IMS bearing just bothers me. The 2001 becomes very interesting comes down another $2k, I'd probably get it and replace the bearing with the upgraded option if it doesn't already have it installed.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #22

Part 101 212 sure doesn't look like an IMS seal to me. Looks like it is a RMS on the end of the crankshaft. You can look up the parts on the PET pdf that Porsche offers here.

My second Boxster was hit in the rear and an insurance claim was made against the other driver so I'm sure carfax would show it. Superficial bumper damage of over $1k but an affect on handling, no. Better than new after repair. My buyer absolutely didn't question it when I made disclosure and I was prepared with post accident pictures.

The more you know about the car, the more you can pay. The less the bigger the gamble.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #23
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Part 101 212 sure doesn't look like an IMS seal to me. Looks like it is a RMS on the end of the crankshaft. You can look up the parts on the PET pdf that Porsche offers here....
Mike, Ignore the yellow highlight on that receipt. Look a few line above for:
996-105-024-01
996-105-112-01
999-707-392-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krooked View Post
There are some who would argue the seal should simply be removed, since the bearing itself is likely to get oil soaked (and therefore loose any grease it's packed with). the thought here is, without a seal, the IMSB would get far more lubrication. So, depending on who you ask, the seal being replaced can be either a good thing or a bad one. ...
In this case, I don't think that the grease seal on the bearing is relevant. The work was done on the IMS flange seal and o-ring.
tires newer, sport seats, sport exhaust, Carrera wheels...
The mileage difference between them is not significant to me. More important is knowing it was owned by an enthusiast:
Quote:
In speaking to the mechanic of number 1 he told me a lot about the owner. A 70 year old man who only buys the best and really takes care of his cars. Has about 10 I'm told. That one has all the options I want, as it was heavily optioned
IMS... If it worries you change it ASAP, if not, wait 'till it needs other service.
I'll be surprised if that one doesn't sell while you are still considering it.

P.S. PPI, PPI, PPI
Old 11-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Mike, Ignore the yellow highlight on that receipt. Look a few line above for:
996-105-024-01
996-105-112-01
999-707-392-40

In this case, I don't think that the grease seal on the bearing is relevant. The work was done on the IMS flange seal and o-ring.
IMS... If it worries you change it ASAP, if not, wait 'till it needs other service.
I'll be surprised if that one doesn't sell while you are still considering it.

P.S. PPI, PPI, PPI
Thanks, the car is mine pending PPI next week. It was my favorite of many cars I've been considering. I'll see what the PPI yields and report back!
pinksnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsy4771 View Post
I found this thread very interesting because I'm also in the market. Well maybe not in the market until next year but appears we have a similar budget.

I think I would lean toward #1 just because it is a newer model and an S. If I were to get that one I would immediately replace the bearing/clutch just because that IMS concerns me and I wouldn't be able to enjoy the car. The mileage mildly concerns me so I guess it may have some maintenance bills coming. I have read about suspension refreshing so something to think about.

I also liked the 2001 because it appears to have a lot of maintenance has been completed. A lot depends on the type of IMS bearing that was used. If it was the 'upgraded' bearing it would increase my interest but if it was OEM I wouldn't think about it. IMS bearing just bothers me. The 2001 becomes very interesting comes down another $2k, I'd probably get it and replace the bearing with the upgraded option if it doesn't already have it installed.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
It had a bunch of rear strut replacement last year, based on the records.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #26

Out of curiosity where how/where did you find these cars? I have had a hard time finding cars for sale by owner most everything I found was for sale by dealers.
gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsy4771 View Post
Out of curiosity where how/where did you find these cars? I have had a hard time finding cars for sale by owner most everything I found was for sale by dealers.
An ungodly daily management of cars.com, autotrader, eBay, and Craigslist
Old 11-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #28

Forgot to mention that the 04 has the 030 sport suspension, litronics, and pretty much every other available option at nearly 67k MSRP. So yeah I'm going to PPI this week and hopefully post pics soon , proclaiming my official real entry into this forum .thank you for the well informed replies.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksnyper View Post
Forgot to mention that the 04 has the 030 sport suspension, litronics, and pretty much every other available option at nearly 67k MSRP. So yeah I'm going to PPI this week and hopefully post pics soon , proclaiming my official real entry into this forum .thank you for the well informed replies.
We'll.....that makes the decision easier. #1
Old 11-14-2017, 01:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
We'll.....that makes the decision easier. #1
PPI came back very positive. I am flying down Wednesday to pick the car up and drive it home. Will post pictures in New member area when I do. Thanks for the tips everyone!
Old 11-14-2017, 03:19 AM   #31

Congrats. And enjoy thoroughly

GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote