Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
Ben

Garage
Tips for installing oil scavenge pumps?

I went through Insite's timing thread to reset the timing and, while in there, found the 4-5-6 oil scavenge pump had a cracked drive "tooth", and also noticed that both pumps were installed upside down. I bought a replacement pump but can't get it to slide in. Anyone have any tips? It seems like the tolerances are so tight that getting them lined up properly while the engine is in the car is next to impossible.

sactostrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #2

In theory
loosen the adjacent cam cover bolts a little (warping risk!)
A little grease on the mating/sliding surfaces[/I]
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:21 AM   #3

I've done it and its a ********************. I had to tap with with a drift and rubber mallet once you got it started.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sactostrat View Post
I went through Insite's timing thread to reset the timing and, while in there, found the 4-5-6 oil scavenge pump had a cracked drive "tooth", and also noticed that both pumps were installed upside down. I bought a replacement pump but can't get it to slide in. Anyone have any tips? It seems like the tolerances are so tight that getting them lined up properly while the engine is in the car is next to impossible.
Words in bold are very true, once the pump is perfectly aligned & lubed they slide into place easily if the drive tang is positioned properly. Be POSITIVE they right side up not inverted.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
Ben

Garage
Thanks for these responses. I hope to have time tomorrow to work under the car. -Ben
Old 11-05-2017, 07:47 AM   #6

Some will wince at this but if you very carefully relieve the sharp edges and corners of the drive tang, it may help . Obviously do this with a file,carefully, by hand not a die grinder and take precautions to collect the filings(grease). Clean meticulously and start pushing rotating slightly left/right to coax it back on.If it goes in slanted , start over and don't use the bolts to pull it in.You'll strip threads.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
Ben

Garage
DONE! The 4-6 side was more difficult to slide in for me even though it was the easiest to access and see. Once I got the drive tang lined up as best I could visually, I lightly tapped around the bolt holes with a screwdriver and rubber mallet and it eventually went in with just a bit of friction. The 1-3 side was a total pain to remove because of the more limited access and I was really dreading trying to reinstall it. But, as I was trying to wiggle it into place by hand, it just slid right in. To me, the hardest part is trying to align the drive tang with the slot in the sprocket before tapping it in. Also, there was no way to get my torque wrench on the 1-3 side and I had to snug them up with a combination wrench. Thanks for all of your help and tips. The car is back on the road for now