Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 03:49 AM   #1

Cayman (non-S)

I've seen some info lately on the 2007 Cayman non-S. Looks like 2.7 liter, 245 hp, if I recall. Priced at $50K.
The Z4 coupe basic model is only $40K, but handling probably not as good. The Z4 M3 would give it a run.
Not a lot else in the class, no S2000 coupes for example. The new Miata retractable, but it's not really in competition.
If you're a convertible person (and lots of past threads have discussed the P-owner preference for ragtops), you aren't going to buy one anyway, you'd probably get a Box-S for around the same money.

So, the floor is open for comment. Who's gonna buy them, and why?

For my own part, it's Porsche entry with a ton of good looks for 50 grand, along with good-enough performance for street use, and comfortable daily driving. For trackkies, it dodges the roll bar/broomstick issues. But I think the day would come when I wanted to open the top to the sky. But that's just me.

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:00 AM   #2

Smile

On the price side, the issue I see is that cars actually being delivered will be in the neighborhood of $60K.

That is a lot of dough for that car, IMHO!

At $45, it would be a good buy!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:09 AM   #3
KronixSpeed

audi tt pumped up!

i think a lot of people will buy the cayman now......i'm thinking the boxster set the stage for a porsche to not only be a 911. i guess the old 944 style cars were great, but very different looking from the traditional 911. cayman worth every penny in my mind.

the cayman does not have a sunroof, but a lot of people don't like sunroofs. a lot of people for that matter don't like convertibles. i rarely even take my roof down on my boxster, i dont know why i just don't.

i think the cayman will be a great sell. i was at the dealership yesterday...omg the car is sooooo cool. it reminds me of a audi tt pumped up.

i'd trade my boxster in for a cayman in a heart beat. only because i'm not a big fan of convertibles. don't get me wrong convertibles are amazing and the boxster looks amazing with the top down. sooo nice to drive with the top down.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
I've seen some info lately on the 2007 Cayman non-S. Looks like 2.7 liter, 245 hp, if I recall. Priced at $50K.
The Z4 coupe basic model is only $40K, but handling probably not as good. The Z4 M3 would give it a run.
Not a lot else in the class, no S2000 coupes for example. The new Miata retractable, but it's not really in competition.
If you're a convertible person (and lots of past threads have discussed the P-owner preference for ragtops), you aren't going to buy one anyway, you'd probably get a Box-S for around the same money.

So, the floor is open for comment. Who's gonna buy them, and why?

For my own part, it's Porsche entry with a ton of good looks for 50 grand, along with good-enough performance for street use, and comfortable daily driving. For trackkies, it dodges the roll bar/broomstick issues. But I think the day would come when I wanted to open the top to the sky. But that's just me.
There's very little chance that you're going to be able to pick up a Cayman (non-S) for $50K. There are just so few standard options that the options you do pay for add up quickly.

It's not going to even hang with a Z4M. The Cayman-S barely beats it in most categories. The new M3 is going to DESTROY the Cayman-S when it comes to acceleration....

Forget the Cayman non-S and give me a Boxster Turbo....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:51 AM   #5

Boxster rules

Hard to trade in my Boxster S for a Cayman. I love the fact mine is a convertible. The Cayman does even have a sunroof. Besides the styling of the Boxster is perfect for me. The design is aggressive and sexy and very unique like the Jag XK-E. Cayman is a fantastic driving machine just as the Boxster performance deltas are minimal in my evaluation. The Z cars are plain ugly for my taste.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:59 AM   #6

Saw a base cayman at my local dealer with a sticker of $53K
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #7

Sep 06 Road & Track comparo favored the Cayman S over Z4 M Coupe on the track and off. BUT,,,,,noted the price difference even tho BMW had $1000 gas guzzler tax.

I'd definitely take the Cayman S, but in the ragtop version.

PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote