Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #1

I'm Seriously Considering the E-Z Top Hoist

Based on recommendations in a prior post, I'm seriously considering the purchase of an E-Z Top Hoist for my hard top. Here's a link to the product: http://www.eztop.com/boxster.htm

Does anyone have any additional comments before I "pull the trigger" on the purchase? I'm planning to buy a manual hoist model with the multi point attachment system.

I decided on the hoist because my wife was uncomfortable helping me lift the hard top on and off my Miata, and the Boxster top is heavier. (I could actually put the Miata top on and off by myself, but I always considered it risky behavior.)

If anyone has a used E-Z Top Hoist they would like to part with, please let me know.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
boggtown

Is that the one I recommended?
Old 08-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #3

Yes, but your link was to the model for a Z3. Apparently they customize them for each car.

My only concen is that it is a bit on the pricey side. They have a 90-day no questions asked guarantee.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 08-01-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
boggtown

Sorry, I thought I had the boxster link posted. Ya, they are cool, glad I helped at least one person.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
Yes, but your link was to the model for a Z3. Apparently they customize them for each car.

My only concen is that it is a bit on the pricey side. They have a 90-day no questions asked guarantee.
Yeah, $400 is not cheap, but it is sure less money that a needless repair if you had an issue trying to man-handle it on yourself (like the Miata) or if your wife tweaked her back helping you!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Yeah, $400 is not cheap, but it is sure less money that a needless repair if you had an issue trying to man-handle it on yourself (like the Miata) or if your wife tweaked her back helping you!

Good point. I got a good deal on the hard top ($610) and it is in almost pefect condition. A $400 investment to keep it that way and avoid personal injury makes a certain amount of sense.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #7

Not suggesting you actually go this way if you're OK spending the money for the eztop. But if the cost is an issue for you and you're the least bit handy you could probably adapt one of these for your purpose easily. They use a soft sling to support the canoe/kayak (unlike the beam system on the eztop), which would likely need to be carefully placed to avoid denting the window seals.

Harken hoist, $90 on EBay.