Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 12:09 AM   #21

Garage
Where did you see “refurbished” units?

sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:10 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
OBD II code deciphering is not a function of the software, the software just tells you what codes you are dealing with. Unfortunately Porsche (as do many other OEM's) has always treated this information as some sort of state secret. At one time, the actually published an excellent OBD II diagnostic's manual, which contained complete "decision tree" steps for diagnosing and correcting each code, but this manual sold for around $2K and is no longer in print as it is now built into their PIWIS III.
Yes I know what you mean that it's not a function of the software but you would expect somebody that makes software for a product to be able to help you a bit not just plainly say, your on your own. These engineers that make that software must know a little bit what they are doing and should be able to help us.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:53 AM   #23

Garage
sjkjeld: if you go to the Durametric web site you will find reference to the fact that they occasionally have refurbished units available. I emailed and they had one.
dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3230 View Post
Yes I know what you mean that it's not a function of the software but you would expect somebody that makes software for a product to be able to help you a bit not just plainly say, your on your own. These engineers that make that software must know a little bit what they are doing and should be able to help us.
They cannot do this for a very simple reason: The OBD II diagnostics are the copyrighted intellectual property of PCNA, and they do not release the rights to anyone and go after anyone that uses them without their permission. And if you don't think they are serious, I received a warning from PCNA lawyers for posting a page from the OBD II Diagnostics manual on another website and was ordered to remove it.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-01-2018 at 07:48 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #25

Garage
Wow they sure are p%@&ks. Did you get the OBD II manual legally though?
Old 03-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Wow they sure are p%@&ks. Did you get the OBD II manual legally though?
Yes, ours are legitimate, they used to sell them to anybody with the price of admission, which was admittedly steep for a large three ring binder. When you purchased them, you were registered for updates. We actually have them for a couple of Porsche models, and over the years have received literally dozens of updated or amended pages as part of the process, which was nice for a shop. if memory serves, we received around 90 or so updates for the 986 manual alone over the years.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlud View Post
sjkjeld: if you go to the Durametric web site you will find reference to the fact that they occasionally have refurbished units available. I emailed and they had one.
Thank you. I emailed them and none available. They said they will not keep a wait list. I am in no rush tho as my Boxster will be garaged until May. So I guess I need to ping them weekly. I wonder how often one comes up?
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #28
Who's askin'?

I'm getting ready to take the plunge for a durametric.
I'm sorry to say that their website sucks, and leaves much to my imagination.

Can y'all help me determine which version I should buy? There's a couple versions of "pro", and two versions of the "enthusiast", one which says "up to 3 vin", but no other description of the difference between the multiple models.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #29
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The pro has unlimited VIN's, the enthusiast is capped at 3 VIN's, not sure why there would be two enthusiast versions, perhaps one has a longer cable? The guys that run Durametric are nice and I have heard they will reset the cable for you if you hit the cap, but I wouldn't expect it. You can also do an exchange for the pro if you hit the 3 VIN cap. Give them a call before you buy one and ask if they have any refurbished cables available, you might be able to save a few bucks.

My Durametric has actually never logged a VIN, when I asked them about it they told me I must be lucky . Their support for troubleshooting the software is really good, but they provide no information on what the data you get from the car means, and there isn't much info available online to help you decipher it. But even at $300 it's cheaper than paying a dealer to reset an airbag light.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #30

Garage
There are cheaper readers that will do the same thing, and work on other cars.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #31

Garage
Has anyone kept a list of the Durametric listed parameters and the expected ranges? I'm thinking about the "actual values" listings.

Last edited by dlud; 03-16-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #32

Quote:
There are cheaper readers that will do the same thing, and work on other cars.
There are cheaper readers, but I would really like to see one that matches ALL of the functions of the Durametric system; including system activations. We get visited by just about everyone selling scan tools; ranging in price from less than $100 to over $5,000, and we are yet to see one that can match the Durametric either in capabilities or in price..................
Old 03-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Has anyone kept a list of the Durametric listed parameters and the expected ranges? I'm thinking about the "actual values" listings.
Listed in the OEM service manual set and to some degree in the Bentley manual.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Listed in the OEM service manual set and to some degree in the Bentley manual.
Thanks. Thought maybe someone had put together a handy spreadsheet or listing of normal value ranges.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Thanks. Thought maybe someone had put together a handy spreadsheet or listing of normal value ranges.
Only problem is the total number of values due to model changes runs multiple pages. All depends upon what you are looking for.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #36

Garage
I see a commercial opportunity here. : )
Old 03-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #37

Quote:
I see a commercial opportunity here. : )
Just be careful, Porsche NA is absolutely draconian about anyone republishing, particularly for commercial purposes, what they have claimed as their protected intellectual property; which is just about everything from their owner's manuals to their service bulletins. They have attempted to close down websites like this one over just such issues...............
Old 03-17-2018, 05:20 AM   #38

Garage
Quote:
There are cheaper readers, but I would really like to see one that matches ALL of the functions of the Durametric system; including system activations. We get visited by just about everyone selling scan tools; ranging in price from less than $100 to over $5,000, and we are yet to see one that can match the Durametric either in capabilities or in price..................
I know what you mean but how many do it yourselfer's that need a $1000.00 reader that will not do anymore than what a $100.00 reader will do for them. You can clear air bag codes engine codes with an Autel and it won't cost you that much. I know where your coming from because you repair Porches' so you need something more precise than any of us, I'm surprised you don't have a PIWIS or a PST2.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #39

Another choice?

Anybody seen this? Schwaben Pro Scan

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_STGEN1_pg3.htm?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=scan_models&utm_source=Pelican+Pit+Stop+Newsletter&utm_campaign=4d9a027be4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_03_16&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e247719183-4d9a027be4-68631377
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Guy View Post
Anybody seen this? Schwaben Pro Scan
The list of features and the price look really good. Can anybody chime in and identify things that a Durametric does that this doesn't?

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote