Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #1

driver power back rest not working

I have 03 Boxster, I went to adjust driver seat power back rest and it is not working. It was working just fine other day. I searched this forum but found nothing to help me. Any one know what the problem is? Is there a fuse? Maybe the back rest switch is bad, if so How do I test the switch?

Any help is appreciated.....

JOC IN IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #2

Here are a few videos showing how to remove and disassemble the seats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpX4D693D1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmGAspMqBRk

I don't think he shows how to take off the seat back adjustment switch, but it just pries off. There are a couple of small springs that hold it away from the plastic panel beneath the switch, so be careful you don't lose them. Here's a post that covers the same information: Boxster Seat Disassembly Procedure Part 1 of 2

I would start diagnosing the problem by checking to see if the plastic switch had become misaligned with the underlying control. The part that actually connects to the circuit board is like a nipple and the black cover fits over it.

It it is not the switch, it may be the motor or the wiring. I have an extra seat back motor if you need one.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 09-26-2017 at 06:07 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:04 AM   #3

If you remove the seat, I believe you have to disconnect the battery first. Otherwise when the seat is re-installed then your airbag light will be on, and you'll need someone with PWIS or Durametric or other appropriate code reader to get the light turned off. Of course having no power while the seat is out may make diagnosis more difficult.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Here are a few videos showing how to remove and disassemble the seats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpX4D693D1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmGAspMqBRk

I don't think he shows how to take off the seat back adjustment switch, but it just pries off. There are a couple of small springs that hold it away from the plastic panel beneath the switch, so be careful you don't lose them. Here's a post that covers the same information: Boxster Seat Disassembly Procedure Part 1 of 2

I would start diagnosing the problem by checking to see if the plastic switch had become misaligned with the underlying control. The part that actually connects to the circuit board is like a nipple and the black cover fits over it.

It it is not the switch, it may be the motor or the wiring. I have an extra seat back motor if you need one.
Thank you for the info. much appreciated-i'm probably going to tackle this next spring it's the least of my priority right now- i got to do other things to the car 1st more important.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
If you remove the seat, I believe you have to disconnect the battery first. Otherwise when the seat is re-installed then your airbag light will be on, and you'll need someone with PWIS or Durametric or other appropriate code reader to get the light turned off. Of course having no power while the seat is out may make diagnosis more difficult.
Oh great, another problem arise from removing the seat. I'm not sure if the set has air bag, if it does i could see may trigger the srs light when the seat air bag connector is disconnected. I don't think the seat has air bag but I will have to look at the seat.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC IN IL View Post
Oh great, another problem arise from removing the seat. I'm not sure if the set has air bag, if it does i could see may trigger the srs light when the seat air bag connector is disconnected. I don't think the seat has air bag but I will have to look at the seat.
The seat doesn't have an airbag, but it does have a wire for the seat belt warning light. I just remember I had to disconnect the battery when I took my passenger seat out to install the Brey Krause fire extinguisher mount, and the advice was to disconnect the battery first and reconnect the battery after the seat was back in.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
The seat doesn't have an airbag, but it does have a wire for the seat belt warning light. I just remember I had to disconnect the battery when I took my passenger seat out to install the Brey Krause fire extinguisher mount, and the advice was to disconnect the battery first and reconnect the battery after the seat was back in.
Thanks for the info. I will disconnect the battery when I take the seat out.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:57 AM   #8

Disconnecting the battery will be the surest way to avoid an airbag warning. However, all you really need to do is avoid turning on the car when the seat wiring is disconnected. Keep your key in the house while you are working to avoid accidentally turning it on is another option.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote