Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #1

Top finished ;)

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #2

Very nice!
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #3

Guards Red is hard to photograph.... you seem to have nailed it. That is very good looking. The hard top gives it a completely different look.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
MWS

Looks great!!! Would like to hear your long-term opinion of living with a removable hard top though. As you know, here in Indiana, there is a fine line between top up and top down weather, and as much as I like the look, I don't know if I could sacrifice the convenience.

BTW, cudos (again) on all the work you have put in (as well as posted updates)...true labor of love.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
MWS

Also, you are starting to change my opinion of de-ambering. As a purest, I have kept the ambers, but with the red, the clear really pops. I have Arctic Silver, and I kind of like the contrast with the amber, but then again, you are starting to change my mind. Starting....
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #6
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Stunningly good looking car!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #7

You can never be too rich, too thin, have too many tools or have too much Guards Red! I like it in case you can't tell!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
Looks great!!! Would like to hear your long-term opinion of living with a removable hard top though. As you know, here in Indiana, there is a fine line between top up and top down weather, and as much as I like the look, I don't know if I could sacrifice the convenience.

BTW, cudos (again) on all the work you have put in (as well as posted updates)...true labor of love.
I know what you mean but its aluminum and only weighs about 65? lbs. Really easy to take on and off. I really wanted a Z-art top but It would take me all day to switch out one of those. I was on the fence about getting one when this one showed up in the classifieds here.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Guards Red is hard to photograph.... you seem to have nailed it. That is very good looking. The hard top gives it a completely different look.
My opinion is waiting until there is no direct sun shinning on it. No shadows, early morning, evening or on a cloudy day.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #10

I totally get it. Best upgrade ever. When it's hot in Phoenix it's a big plus especially with the rear window tinted.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Also, you are starting to change my opinion of de-ambering. As a purest, I have kept the ambers, but with the red, the clear really pops. I have Arctic Silver, and I kind of like the contrast with the amber, but then again, you are starting to change my mind. Starting....
It wasn't until I got my Guards Red that I decided the amber looks nice and didn't want to change it. It does contrast nicely with the red!
Old 09-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Mine came without the amber. I like them both.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:30 AM   #13

Did anyone notice, have an opinion of the mud guard in front of the rear wheels paint and chip guarded?

I think it flows with the top.

Last edited by JBauer; 09-15-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:26 AM   #14

Looks great! The painted stone guard really fits well visually but hope it doesn't get all chipped quickly. As a note on amber, I like it for the contrast against my arctic silver, but can see how good deambering looks on your red. When you come north for a drive, send a pm and we'll admire each other's 986.

Larry (the bald eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #15

Garage
Beautiful, looks great! The guard looks nice as well, but it takes a lot of abuse from the looks of mine.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #16

The Boxster looks nice with the hardtop. I too sourced a hardtop for my Boxster. Had to paint it as my car is gt-silver. It transforms the car look wise. Look forward to mount mine soon as autumn has arrived in northern Europe.

I would probably have left the mudguards as they where for practical reasons. I changed one of mine recently as the plastic ages. The mudguard came loose so that dirt could collect underneath. If it where painted I would have to paint it. Well thats one easy thing to sort if it comes to that.

MWS: I bought my Boxster last spring. Drove it without hardtop the whole summer and last autumn. Sourced the hardtop and had it painted but did not mount it until december. I used it a few months during the spring. The car is a bit more quiet. Keeps the heat better if you park the car and turn it of while waiting for someone comparing to the soft top. The rear sight is better as the window is bigger than on he soft top. When the weather became more stabil this spring I took of the hardtop. If you live in a climate where you can drive with the roof down every couple of day I donīt think I would buy a hardtop. It is easy to remove but still a two person job. I donīt think itīs something one do from day day. Comfort wise here are not a big difference between the soft top and the hardtop.

Robert993TT is offline   Reply With Quote