Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 06:51 AM   #1

Garage
Thumbs down HELP - 3 Fault Codes

Hey guys, my car is in the shop as I type. they say their machine brings up 3 codes
P1130 1120 P0102 - would anyone know if the P0102 code be the cause of the other who O2 sensor codes going off. P0102 seems to be issue with MAF sensor and the other two O2 (bank 1 and 2). Can the MAf sensor issue cause the other who sensors issues?

Seems off all three break down at same exact time...

Old 09-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #2

Looks like its time for sparkplugs, o2 sensors, maf, and air filter all-around. New coils while at it. Clean the dunk out of the TB and off you go I'd say! And that without knowing what these codes means 'scientifically' lolll

$600 +1hrs labor = Wroom!
(scout promise lolll)
Old 09-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #3

Before you throw parts at it...

How could three sensors fail? Maybe wiring? Critters? Water penetration?

Year?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Before you throw parts at it...

How could three sensors fail? Maybe wiring? Critters? Water penetration?

Year?
Exactly. Having a code for a sensor does not mean the sensor is bad. All 3 of those sensors are related, one measures the amount of air coming in so that the air/fuel ratio can be calculated and the other 2 check to make sure it is correct. A rich or lean condition will cause all that so I would start with checking for vacuum leaks or an air intake leak first, that is after I read the fuel trims and check the actual readings on the sensors.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

I'd start with cleaning MAF sensor element, then replace it if the same codes keep coming back. More odds on a bad MAF as it could affect fuel/ air mixture that throws the codes for both banks, less odds on both sides of O2 sensors gone bad at the same time.

I went through the same issue last year at 69K miles, ended up with a new MAF and 4 new O2 sensors replacing no-brand sensors badly spliced.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:09 AM   #6

Garage
Your right... turns out $702.65 later that the MAF was the issue after all... the shop I brought it too claims they spent 3.5 hours trying to figure out the problem. I tell ya what a bunch of criminals.... which I could find an honest garage here in Ottawa, Ontario...
Old 09-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #7

Garage
I took mine to the dealer Scott and I was surprised at their labour costs. And they guarantee their parts for 2 years.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
Your right... turns out $702.65 later that the MAF was the issue after all... the shop I brought it too claims they spent 3.5 hours trying to figure out the problem. I tell ya what a bunch of criminals.... which I could find an honest garage here in Ottawa, Ontario...
The Boxster is surprisingly easy to work on and I strongly recommend attacking service and repair yourself except for huge ones like replacing the engine or opening it. It is also a great excuse to get a good tool set and diagnostic tools.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #9

Garage
Yeah I took my MAF out several times to clean and everything else.. it was simple fix but the codes that came up related to MAF, O2, and exhaust leak.... so I did see two tiny leaks under the exhaust clamps so I did not know which was the issues... 4 O2 sensors, 1 MAF sensor, or the two tiny leaks.... Sadly, I could have replaced everything myself for less than just the one MAF sensor bill I got.... OH well....
Old 09-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3230 View Post
I took mine to the dealer Scott and I was surprised at their labour costs. And they guarantee their parts for 2 years.
What did the dealer change you? How much per hour their rates ...
Old 09-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Highway robbery. You can pull up Maf readings in seconds with an ordinary scan tool and verifying with a volt meter won't add much time and then it is only a few more minutes to replace it. I would say a whopping half hour to diagnose as that is most shops minimum.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:55 AM   #12

Garage
I feel totally scammed... I am not sure what I should do about it now
Old 09-15-2017, 03:36 AM   #13

Not sure what you can do in Ontario, I had a bad experience with a dealership in Wisconsin even though I live in Michigan and I looked up who oversees the repair facilities in that state (in Michigan it is the Secretary of State, I don't recall who but it was a different entity in Wisconsin) I filed a complaint with them after I had no success trying to get resolution from the actual dealership. Essentially I was trying to be reasonable and at first the dealership tried to work with me (this was on a Volvo not a Porsche) but they could never satisfy the original complaint so after exhausting all the avenues and the dealership essentially telling me to get #$@*% I contacted the state's authority who oversees the repair facility licensing and they opened up a case which they were able to get the dealership to quickly settle with me financially.
You are only out a few hundred $$, I was out several thousand (transmission) so I am not sure what will happen. I am actually a certified mechanic and currently work in a shop. We have to have basic charges posted in plain view such as the labor hourly rate, minimum hoist fee and minimum check out fee ($48 in our case) Any labor charges over $20 have to be approved by the customer on a written estimate in our state. I can tell you that a MAF replacement at our shop would be a diagnostic fee of $48 which would be added or sometimes waved or applied towards the repair time which is not much. If you want, I can check what the Mitchell hourly estimator calls for time wise on a Boxster for a Maf replacement as actual time is rarely used and we charge based on industry standard "book" hours for a job unless the car is really old and we are concerned about rusty bolts or the like increasing the time on the repair. The reason that most shops use "book" hours for a job is because you are not to pay for the incompetence of the people working on your car, a job should be able to be completed in the time that is provided and as experienced mechanics it is not unusual for us to complete 10-12 labor hours in an 8 hour work day just based on experience and working efficiently, this also makes up for some of the cars that take longer than they should because of something stubborn and we don't add to those bills in the "win some, lose some" mentality. That is why the book hours are fair to everyone in the end, an experienced and efficient mechanic gets paid for his above average skills while the customer doesn't get gouged for a mechanic who is not as proficient and takes longer as the billable hours are the same industry wide no matter who works on it. Sometimes even good mechanics have a hard time diagnosing something and take longer but we cannot charge extra for not following diagnostic procedures. A perfect example occurred in our shop yesterday: an experienced mechanic was checking out a regular customer's Oldsmobile for a complaint of the battery light flashing at times while he is driving, the mechanic was monitoring the battery and charging system and looking over the wires and could not find anything wrong with it after some time, I walked up to the car and sat inside of it while he was under the hood and quickly realized that the light flashing was not the battery light but a small little radiator looking light indicating a problem in the cooling system so essentially he wasted a half hour diagnosing the charging system because the customer said it was a battery light but he didn't actually look to see which system he should be looking at. I will check several sources that are available to me on our estimator software and let you know what the billable hours for a Maf replacement on a Boxster are.

Last edited by bwdz; 09-15-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:53 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
What did the dealer change you? How much per hour their rates ...
I had the immobilizer replaced and a new key programmed their labour rate is 129 per hour but they have the equipment to test and program our cars and I find it was money well spent.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:05 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3230 View Post
I had the immobilizer replaced and a new key programmed their labour rate is 129 per hour but they have the equipment to test and program our cars and I find it was money well spent.
What dealer did you go to? Do you know if they repair cars with non-Porsche brand parts if you ask ? The MAF from the Porsche shop wanted nearly $800 but the non-Porsche brands were around $260... if they give you a choice to use non-Porsche OEM parts than I would probably go to the dealer more often.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #16

Garage
There's only one dealer in Ottawa it's Mark Motors on Montreal Road and I guess you could ask them to supply your own parts and get them installed there.