Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Chuck W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Agoura Hills (LA) So.Cal.
Posts: 1,574
For the first couple weeks I would leave it up to get it stretched out properly.

I have an OEM '03 glass window top on my Boxster. My top stays down at least 90 per cent of the time. If I park it outside for more than 10 minutes I cover the car. If I park it in the garage and know it won't be driven for a couple days I cover it. I have different covers for inside and outside. If I am traveling and it is going to be parked for a couple weeks then the top goes up. The top does have some wear lines behind the side windows and rear windows. That's OK. No sagging or other issues with leaving it down so much (that I know of).
__________________
1995 Porsche C4 Cab

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Porsche9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,796
If not being driven for more then a day I put the top up. Stretching has never been a problem but creases from the top being down does happen. Plus leaving the top down all the time invites critters and dirt into your interior. In the end the top is something that will just wear from use but if taken care of will easily last over a decade.
__________________
03 Carrera
02 Boxster S Guards Red, black interior with matching hardtop
89 Carrera 4
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bastrop, Tx
Posts: 2,644
Tops that are stored down for long get little round circle imprints from the bottom of the clam shell.
__________________
Woody
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
01101
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Tops that are stored down for long get little round circle imprints from the bottom of the clam shell.
A badge of honor I wear with pride.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Chuck W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Agoura Hills (LA) So.Cal.
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Tops that are stored down for long get little round circle imprints from the bottom of the clam shell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
A badge of honor I wear with pride.
So true!!!

__________________
1995 Porsche C4 Cab

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:14 AM   #6
Registered User
 
JBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Tops that are stored down for long get little round circle imprints from the bottom of the clam shell.
Any way to remove the spots?
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page