Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2017, 02:31 AM   #1

Speakers and Amps

Hey,

I'm replacing most of the audio (factory HiFi, not Bose) on my 2000 Boxster S,
and I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback or thhoughts on my plan, which is as follows:

I've bought a Clarion NZ502e head unit which I am replacing the Becker CD-23 with,
I've acquired a 996 Coupé 6x40 RMS Amp for dirt cheap which I am going to install to prep the car for rear speakers (keeping that project for later).

Bought a Alpine SPR-50c kit and a SPG-10c2, with the plan being to replace the door speakers with the 5.25" Type-R:s, and replace the dash speakers with the 4" Type-G:s.
Now, as far as I know, the dash speakers also have 1" tweeters, and my question is whether it will make sense to just remove those tweeters or replace them with the tweeters from the SPR-50c kit. My thinking is that having both the Type-Gs and the Alpine tweetters in the dash will be overkill.

Furthermore I am contemplating whether I should skip the HAES amps altogether and instead get an Alpine MRV-F300?

Am I overthinking this?

Edit: I am not an audiophile, and I enjoy listening to a great exhaust, but I also believe that life is better with a soundtrack

Last edited by square-root; 09-04-2017 at 02:37 AM.
square-root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:12 AM   #2

I went with a Alpine PDX-F6 with a Audison sound processor. Audison 6.5's in door with 3.0 and tweeters in stock dash locations. Sound is amazing even with top down. All mounting adapters from Cai-Store.com
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #3

You may find that although the front speakers look like they should have separate tweeters, they don't, mine didn't.

You may also find that your old speaker cones crumble to dust when you touch them, making them useless anyway, mine did.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #4

Mine did have component tweeters as stock. There's a good YT video on how to reuse the baskets and remove the old speakers. I put in a pair of coaxial Alpine speakers and Kicker titanium tweeters and then another set of Alpine Coaxials in the doors.
That combined with The Kicker powered 8" sub behind the passenger seat and I'm quite happy with the sound. And it didn't break the bank.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

I'm not an expert, but

My understanding is tweeters are very directional versus woofers which are not. As such, tweeter placement is very important.

My 01S has tweeters in the dash. My guess is putting them in the door speaker location would result in poorer sound quality.

Consult a local high end audio shop for the best advice.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #6

Your Porsche amp is going to send just bass frequencies to the door speakers because it expects them to be subwoofers (only). This is what your replacement speakers should be as well.

Are you going to be able to find an aftermarket amp with integral crossover to power subwoofers? Or will you fit an additional crossover?

The design from Porsche has two channels for the midrange rear speakers, two channels for the dash speakers, which are midrange plus tweeter with the crossover circuit at the speaker, and two channels from the amp internal crossover to the door subwoofers. Total = 6X40. Most Boxsters come initially with 4X40 amps, missing the rear speaker channels.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 09-05-2017 at 06:07 AM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Your Porsche amp is going to send just bass frequencies to the door speakers because it expects them to be subwoofers (only). This is what your replacement speakers should be as well.

Are you going to be able to find an aftermarket amp with integral crossover to power subwoofers? Or will you fit an additional crossover?

The design from Porsche has two channels for the midrange rear speakers, two channels for the dash speakers, which are midrange plus tweeter with the crossover circuit at the speaker, and two channels from the amp internal crossover to the door subwoofers. Total = 6X40. Most Boxsters come initially with 4X40 amps, missing the rear speaker channels.
Great points!
My plan is to replace the builtin 4x40 with my 6x40 996 Coupé amp.

I can then see if the door-mounted Type-R 5.25s sound OK connected to the door-sub channels or if it makes sense to route the rears from the amp to the doors instead (the Type-Rs come with their own crossovers between the tweeters and the 5.25"s).

The 4" Type-Gs will run off the normal dash channels.

Jury's still out on wether the tweeters go in or not. I might add them physiclaly but leave them disconnected until if/when I get a better amp.

Does that sound crazy?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
Mine did have component tweeters as stock. There's a good YT video on how to reuse the baskets and remove the old speakers. I put in a pair of coaxial Alpine speakers and Kicker titanium tweeters and then another set of Alpine Coaxials in the doors.
That combined with The Kicker powered 8" sub behind the passenger seat and I'm quite happy with the sound. And it didn't break the bank.
Cool. And you kept the stock 4x40 Amp?
Old 09-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #9

Just FYI ... when I installed rear shelf speakers, the first 6x40 amp I installed was a coupe version. I next installed a cabrio version and it made a huge difference ... I now have bass from the subwoofers never heard before. 323. The Boxster is a cabrio, after all.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Just FYI ... when I installed rear shelf speakers, the first 6x40 amp I installed was a coupe version. I next installed a cabrio version and it made a huge difference ... I now have bass from the subwoofers never heard before. 323. The Boxster is a cabrio, after all.
Did you have door speakers (woofs á la HiFi package) before? Because the stock amp is a cabrio amp as well

Tags
amplifier , audio , speakers