Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Racing seats, ...sorta

So I'm considering buying/installing a not-too-extreme racing seat. On my last track days, I pointed my video cam at myself to see what I was doing and hopefully improve my driving. One thing was very apparent: I was flopping about like a rag doll ( oh those sticky r-compounds!). I am considering the Sparco R333 since it seems to be daily driver cruiser freindly but offers more support than the stock seats. I also like the idea of seats than can slide/fold so that I can access the access panel. There are other, more or less expensive models and brands. I don't want cheapo p-o-s brands but I'm trying to keep from sliding too far down this slippery slope!
So, your turn: what is your experience/recommendations on this?

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

Interested in this as well, except i need seats that fit in a 986 and are fat guy friendly...i know i know but a bigger seat is easier than losing 50lbs.
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #3

Recaro Profi XL are fat guy friendly, 6'2" 240# and 36" waist and 34" inseam and they are not super tight. I have really wide shoulders and they fit great. I am floor mounted because I am tall and hatch access is a pain but doable. Recaro sliders would cost me maybe 1" of headroom, OEM sliders maybe 1.5", for comparison my helmet touched the soft top on the oem seats, now I have plenty of clearance, maybe 1"? The recaro seat on the recaro slider gave me enough headroom but I couldn't go back quite far enough because the seat back top hit the bk roll bar extender. I could drive, but couldn't heal toe effectively in this config.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

As I've said before, everything is a trade-off.

Sport seats like the Sparco R333 will provide additional support as compared to the OEM seats but nothing like a Sparco (or any other brand) competition seat.

The other thing to consider is whether you're going to continue to use the 3-pt factory seat belts or add a 5 or 6-point harness? A 5/6-point harness is what keeps your body firmly in that highly bolstered sport or racing seat. Once you've used a 5/6-pt harness, you'll never want to go out on the track with a factory 3-pt ever again.

And if you're going to add a 5/6-point harness, then you'll need a HANS device (or something similar) to protect your neck while your head is flopping around on top of your body that is strapped firmly into the seat.

As you can see, the slippery slope is covered in Mobil 1 0W-40...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:15 AM   #5

I run factory GT3 seats, but they are pricey.

Something like an OMP First R or OMP WRC will likely be a cheapish option, but they aren't daily driver friendly.

I agree though that the sparco R333 won't do much of anything for you.

Id buy a set of true race seats and simply swap over when you're ready for a track day. Its a quick easy process.

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote