Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #21

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
I certainly can't speak for everyone - but I sure as hell didn't know about the "flaws". Until I joined this forum, I didn't know anyone else who did either.

This is a good point. I like to think that this forum has a unique balance that others like it do not.

That is to say, we do not drink the kool aid and worship at the altar, though we do admire and praise our cars for what they are.

We also do not "bash" the car endlessly for no good reason. I think we TRY to be fair and balanced in presenting with works and what does not work.

I don't think you will find that balance at the PCA for example.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #22

Quote:
I certainly can't speak for everyone - but I sure as hell didn't know about the "flaws". Until I joined this forum, I didn't know anyone else who did either.
Therein lies the rub... this forum seems to dwell on the flaws. We even have flaw cheerleaders who gleefully point them out at every opportunity.

Maybe you and the others you speak of didn't know about these flaws because they simply aren't as prevalent as this forum would lead you to believe. It's been pointed out that forums such as these attract people who are having problems and are seeking solutions. As such, the balance you see here is most likely skewed.

Out of the several Boxster owners in my area PCA group, NONE of them have had an RMS failure that I'm aware of. It's now time for one of the cheerleaders to give the hourly speech about how none of them have had a failure... YET!
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
Therein lies the rub... this forum seems to dwell on the flaws. We even have flaw cheerleaders who gleefully point them out at every opportunity.

Maybe you and the others you speak of didn't know about these flaws because they simply aren't as prevalent as this forum would lead you to believe. It's been pointed out that forums such as these attract people who are having problems and are seeking solutions. As such, the balance you see here is most likely skewed.

Out of the several Boxster owners in my area PCA group, NONE of them have had an RMS failure that I'm aware of. It's now time for one of the cheerleaders to give the hourly speech about how none of them have had a failure... YET!
Forget about cheeleaders lets have some more pictures by Cartagena!!...I know I am missing the point of your post...I'm done..
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #24

its human nature to talk about whats wrong vs. what's right.
People also like the emotion of being adamant about something.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #25

Quote:
6) We know that many will envy your vehicle and probably want to steal it. For an extra charge we offer a security package which will notify you with a cheerful beep anytime you leave your console box unlocked. An interior sensor picks up anyone inside the car provided the top is down and they're sitting on the dashboard. None of this should be construed to imply that this security system will activate due to broken windows, accidents while your vehicle is parked, or if it's being towed. However, you should feel confident knowing it's protecting your investment. Maybe.

7) Please inspect all safety features on a regular basis. A helpful airbag warning light will come on periodically to remind you to replace your seat belt harness.

8) We at Porsche believe that racing should be done only on the track (or with the 911 series). To this end we've limited the horsepower of your vehicle so that you can appreciate the serenity of your surroundings as well as the tail lights of such famous sports cars as the Honda Accord V6 and Subaru Outback.

That's some good stuff. I think I wet myself laughing...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
By any definition, that was a troll.

Your "true believers" haven't shown up yet, but the two biggest Boxster/Porsche detractors on this forum have, and just two minutes apart. You and Brucelee should join forces and start an anti-Boxster forum (aka Corvette/Esprit forum).

And before you point a finger at me saying "I told you so!", understand this:
I made the choice to buy my Boxster. I love driving it, and understand that there is a risk that it might break. If it does, I'll fix it, and I won't whine about it, because it was my choice, and I am an adult. No one twisted my arm.

I'll say it just once... We all know how you guys feel. You've repeated it many times. Now stop whining about it... get over it already.

Have a nice day.

Hi,

Sorry to disturb your nap. You state the obvious when you say that buying the Boxster was your choice, I don't know anyone who did so with a gun to their head.

You seem to focus on my noting the flaws all the while ignoring those positive things I have to say about the car with respect to it's handling, style and comfort.

I'm sorry if it makes you feel bad if I criticize your car - wouldn't it be great if there was nothing to criticize? But, remember, this is my car as well, and my criticisms are aimed at those things which both should and could have been avoided, but they continue to this day after 10 years and 162,000 units produced (not counting 996/997s).

It's great that your car has yet to experience any of these flaws and that you won't complain of it should this happen, but let's just wait 'til that day to see how you'll truly react shall we?

We're not talking about annoyances here, but significant flaws which cost thousands to fix, flaws which should not be present in a car costing this much or produced by Porsche.

Finally, you may not have noticed, but you're under no obligation to read any of my contributions if you find them that disturbing. You have a nice day too...!

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:10 PM   #27

"I would think if I ever have issues , I will post a thread looking for solutions and not bellyache endlessly about the product."

That is fine, for YOU.

Others feel differently. If you want to set the rules for a forum, you will have to go buy you own!

Capice?

Old 07-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #28

Hey, I've lived thru a lot of Porsche "reliability." :ah: From spark plugs that fouled at the turn of a key, chain tensioners that failed regularly, and airboxes that annoyingly exploded at start-up.

But I have stayed with various Porsches for the past 36 years. A Camry is not an alternative for me. I tell people not to buy a Porsche if they can help themselves. Most of us in this forum appreciate the great and accept the not-so-great.

Which also keeps me coming back to associate with birds of my feather.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #29
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
"I would think if I ever have issues , I will post a thread looking for solutions and not bellyache endlessly about the product."

That is fine, for YOU.

Others feel differently. If you want to set the rules for a forum, you will have to go buy you own!

Capice?

He's not trying to "set the rules". He's just stating his opinion. We all know you're the boss here, and that you set the rules...you remind us about every week.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #30

"Out of the several Boxster owners in my area PCA group, NONE of them have had an RMS failure that I'm aware of. It's now time for one of the cheerleaders to give the hourly speech about how none of them have had a failure... YET!"

Here is where you show your ignorance of what you are speaking about.

The RMS issue is widespread and widely talked about. There have been numerous discussions of this design flaw in the Panorama Magazine in the tech section. The writer there has explained in detail how this issue arises and the myriad of workarounds that Porshce has tried.

I have had several discussions on this very topic with my local service manager. He is very candid about this particular design flaw that is STILL NOT FIXED with the use of the Cayeene RMS.

Moreover, there is clearly a large number of intermediate shaft issues, which actually took out the engine on my neighbor's 04 Box.

This is not to diminish the outstanding driving experience that is the Boxster. It is only to put the onus for some pretty serious flaws back on Stuttgart, where they belong.

If that is an example of whining, it will continue unabated until these issues get addressed.

If you don't like that, don't read, or don't post.

I am fine about that.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:20 PM   #31

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
He's not trying to "set the rules". He's just stating his opinion. We all know you're the boss here, and that you set the rules...you remind us about every week.

Every other week I think!

Old 07-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #32
bmussatti

Quote:
"Out of the several Boxster owners in my area PCA group, NONE of them have had an RMS failure that I'm aware of. It's now time for one of the cheerleaders to give the hourly speech about how none of them have had a failure... YET!"

This isn't fair, Richard! He's not "ignorant" as you state. He is sighting an example about his own personal experience within his circle of friends and Porsche contacts.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #33

Quote:

If you don't like that, don't read, or don't post.

I am fine about that.
You should read my post again... I am anything but ignorant about the RMS issue. I never said that there is no issue, as you are implying. Rather, that statistically most owners would never know about this issue if it weren't for forums like this, or the tech section in Panorama (which is focused primarily on flaws!).

Anyway, I can see that you are getting irritated by this thread, and are beginning to take your usual heavy-handed approach. As you say, I am indeed free to not read, and not post. That attitude does amaze me however, as you seem to not care if you offend and run off the very people that the existence of this forum, and its sponsors, relies on. Strange business practice.

Peace out.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
I must admit that even though I have had my problems, I smile everytime I drive that car...cant say that about others I have owned...
Yup. I never thought I'd find that old MG "quirkiness" in a car modern enough to enjoy every day.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Boxster
Yup. I never thought I'd find that old MG "quirkiness" in a car modern enough to enjoy every day.
Lucas refrigerators were why Brits drank warm beer!
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
This isn't fair, Richard! He's not "ignorant" as you state. He is sighting an example about his own personal experience within his circle of friends and Porsche contacts.
I clearly stated that he was ignorant "on the issue" not ignorant (it is clear he is a bring fellow!)

No offense meant!

Old 07-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #37

Hi,

OK, Kevlar ON... here goes... Richard (aka Brucelee) and I do not always agree, in fact we've had the odd vehement disagreement from time-to-time.

But, I still think he does a fairly neutral job of moderating this forum (much better than some other Boxster Forums) and doesn't deserve the jabs coming his way in this thread. I know he's a Big-Boy and doesn't need any assistance from me, but I feel it needed to be said.

If the number of posts is any indication (which it may not be) some of those criticizing Richard may not have been around long enough to realize or appreciate this. Peace...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #38

Smile

Thanks Jim.

We long timers need to stick together!

Old 07-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #39

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
Ding!
Neutral corners!

I have given myself a time out, standing in the corner as we speak.

Sorry, no offense meant.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

OK, Kevlar ON... here goes... Richard (aka Brucelee) and I do not always agree, in fact we've had the odd vehement disagreement from time-to-time.

But, I still think he does a fairly neutral job of moderating this forum (much better than some other Boxster Forums) and doesn't deserve the jabs coming his way in this thread. I know he's a Big-Boy and doesn't need any assistance from me, but I feel it needed to be said.

If the number of posts is any indication (which it may not be) some of those criticizing Richard may not have been around long enough to realize or appreciate this. Peace...
That's funny... if you'll notice MN, there's a join date in the upper right of each post from each member indicating their join date. I, and each of the others in this thread that are taking "jabs" at Bruce have been members as long, and in some cases much longer than you. We just don't make hundreds of posts a week. Life, and all...