Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2017, 05:38 AM   #1

Fire Extinguisher Mounts: Looking for Advice

I'm gradually prepping my 2000 base for some DE days and will need to mount a fire bottle to meet my PCA requirements. Pelican has several different mounts available -- Brey Krause, Rennline, Rennline e-z adjust, etc. I did a forum search and didn't turn up much, so interested to know what you folks are using. I'm looking to mount the bottle under the front of the passenger seat, unless anyone has a better idea.

These things aren't cheap, so I'd like to hear some feedback before I burn some of my allowance money. Thanks in advance.

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have the BK mount with a 2.5lb Halon extinguisher. The mount itself is very sturdy, and mounts in 3 places under the seat (two screws in the front, one bolt in the back). The only change I made was replacing the rear mount with a nylon bolt to eliminate rattling. The mount is now silent, however the nozzle on the extinguisher will sometimes rattle. It does not obstruct the passenger footwell, but it does restrict the seat from being able to go back and down all the way. It adds about 1" under the front of the seat. Hope that helps!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
Administrator

Just wanted to post some more info about Rennline for you. They're top-notch quality and you wont be disappointed. Their mounts are a two-piece design (unlike most mounts on the market), which allow you to remove all of the visible components of it in literally seconds so you can retain that "factory" look if you so wish. This mount also allows you to make your seat adjustments whereas other mounts are rail mounted and fixed. Install is very simple, should only take a few minutes and fits a wide range of seats from factory complex seats to race seats. I hope this gives you some more input on the EZ mount.

Rennline EZ-Adjust Fire Extinguisher Mount, Black

Video of how it works:

Luccia at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
to meet my PCA requirements
Though an extinguisher is a good piece of safety equipment, PCA does NOT require for DE (link to PCA minimum standards) so check w/ region you plan on running. Of course also the tracks you plan to run on too as each have their own rules.

Have a blast and watch the slippery slope... to another set of wheels, then trailer, dedicated track car... so on and so forth (ask me how I know )

Old 08-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #5

I found one of the Brey Krause mounts on eBay for a good price. Keep looking, they show up in the classifieds here, at PCA and eBay from time to time. I really like the look of the quick release mounts that wrap around the extinguisher but they are pricey so I've held off. This mount hasn't interfered any of my passengers at all and the only noise is an occasional rattle from the pin that would need to be pulled in order to use the extinguisher.

For NNJR PCA HPDE events, fire extinguishers are only required in the higher run groups, so I don't need it yet.

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #6

I have the Rennline in my CSS but it will only work on the driver's seat. The Rennline EZ wasn't out yet and I wish it had been as I wanted to mount on the passenger seat. I would recommend the EZ.
I leave my extinguisher in full time and it doesn't bother me.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Though an extinguisher is a good piece of safety equipment, PCA does NOT require for DE (link to PCA minimum standards) so check w/ region you plan on running. Of course also the tracks you plan to run on too as each have their own rules.

Have a blast and watch the slippery slope... to another set of wheels, then trailer, dedicated track car... so on and so forth (ask me how I know )

You are absolutely correct. I went back and read the tech inspection sheet. I was mislead by an article in our region magazine that said you had a bye on your first track day, but then had to have one installed. Regardless, I think it's a smart idea.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
Just wanted to post some more info about Rennline for you. They're top-notch quality and you wont be disappointed. Their mounts are a two-piece design (unlike most mounts on the market), which allow you to remove all of the visible components of it in literally seconds so you can retain that "factory" look if you so wish. This mount also allows you to make your seat adjustments whereas other mounts are rail mounted and fixed. Install is very simple, should only take a few minutes and fits a wide range of seats from factory complex seats to race seats. I hope this gives you some more input on the EZ mount.

Rennline EZ-Adjust Fire Extinguisher Mount, Black

Video of how it works:

This does look like the way to go. Ordered!
I'll provide some feedback here after the install. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #9

PCA national does not require an extinguisher in the car but our region (North Country) does after your first event.
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #10

Garage
The PCA UCR gives you a buy on safety equipment for the first DE event, but requires the fire extinguisher after that. I bought a bracket from a local Porsche specialty shop, Mantis Racing, for $80 Cdn. Basically three pieces of aluminum welded together (I do better welding), painted and the two legs bent. It allows adjustment of the seat, and mounts to the front to seat bolts. So far no issues with it.
TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:54 AM   #11

UPDATE: Rennline EZ-Adjust is now installed on the passenger seat side. A few thoughts and observations:
Like all Rennline products I've ever seen, the mount is beautifully made. Unfortunately, once installed, you'll never see it.
Installation was relatively easy. The instructions could be a bit more clear -- assembling the slider portion of the mount required some imagination and a bit of math (Is this the .220 nylon washer or the 3/8"?). Other than that, if I could figure out how to get it assembled and mounted, then your average 6-year-old should have no issues.
Once the seat bolts were out, the mount slid in easily, and the holes in the mount lined up perfectly, as did the holes for the mounting bracket for the fire extinguisher (H3R).
Keep in mind that once the fire bottle is in, it's pretty much impossible to reach the red lever for the slider mechanism, so you may have to pull the bottle and reset until you have it set the way you prefer.
The handle for the passenger seat slider requires you to offset the extinguisher towards the door to prevent interference.
I did a drive test and everything was solid -- no rattles, nothing came loose, very solid mount.
I give the mount two thumbs up -- beautifully made and relatively easy to install.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #12

Unfortunately I have some experience of a fire on a Boxster and the effectiveness of fire extinguishers.

I bought a couple of 600ml extinguishers. They ran out in seconds when called upon. If you have an engine bay fire you may as well just walk away and not bother. The engine bay has no access so you can't be effective with an extinguisher. The best solution would be a motorsport style system with nozzles placed inside the engine bay and also a hand held one for a fire somewhere else.

The fire brigade couldn't even put mine out.

Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #13

Wow. That is horrifying. Hope you're ok.

Did you ever discover the cause?
Old 08-26-2017, 03:56 AM   #14

I'm fine physically. Devastated about it, took me 2 years to build (Audi 2.7 turbo engine conversion) and the insurance didn't cover fire (I was waiting until it was mapped before insuring properly as it's spent it's time off the road).

Not sure on the cause but the oil pressure dropped so I think it was an oil leak.
Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #15

Garage
Wow! This is a story of bad news and even worse news. First, a fire extinguisher really won't work since the engine is so inaccessible. Next, the fire department won't try to put it out either.

Still I want a fire extinguisher in the car. Have had a few in different cars. Even had to use one once and came close second time. As it turns out, for other people's cars. Knock on wood.

Now, what is the best around and where to strap it in my 986?
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #16

That is one sad sight.

I've had a Brey Krause on the front passenger seat for about 12 years. The only thing I don't like is it's too easy for a pant leg to undo a latch. They need a little more over-center travel in their design.