Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 12:22 AM   #1

Drips of liquid on my clutch foot

So Im driving down the road today and Im wear my air jordan sandals because its hot! I feel a drip of cool liquid on my clutch foot. Is this my imagination I think to myself? No, another drip. It doesnt appear to be coolant and it would make no sense to have coolant lines under the dash. Any thoughts? Happen to anyone else? I had to go to work so I didnt have time to really check it out.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:56 AM   #2
bmussatti

Were you running the AC?

This could be condensation from your AC. It may not be draining properly. You may need to clean-out the drain for the AC.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:07 AM   #3

Yea I was runnin the AC. Now that I think about it coolant would have been hot and this was very cool water, duh. Will check that out thanks.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
bmussatti

Do some searches. This drain cleaning procedure has been covered before. Have a great weekend!
Old 07-21-2006, 06:05 AM   #5

Hi,

bmussatti nailed it since you describe the liquid as cool and watery. But, realize too that this isn't the only possible liquid which could drip on your clutch foot. The Clutch Master Cylinder lives inside the cockpit attached to the firewall behind the clutch pedal shaft and if it's pushrod seal failed, you can also get Brake Fluid dripping on your foot. Not in this case, but it's the only other liquid living anywhere near this area...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #6

Yes, I believe hes correct as well it was not brake fluid. Thanks
Old 07-21-2006, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

bmussatti nailed it since you describe the liquid as cool and watery. But, realize too that this isn't the only possible liquid which could drip on your clutch foot. The Clutch Master Cylinder lives inside the cockpit attached to the firewall behind the clutch pedal shaft and if it's pushrod seal failed, you can also get Brake Fluid dripping on your foot. Not in this case, but it's the only other liquid living anywhere near this area...

Wow, the clutch master cylinder's inside the car? I've never seen that before. Seems like a seal failure there could end up as a pretty big surprise for the driver!
Old 07-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #8

Do you have an aftermarket cupholder mounted on your dash??
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Wow, the clutch master cylinder's inside the car? I've never seen that before. Seems like a seal failure there could end up as a pretty big surprise for the driver!
Hi,

Yep, located just behind the top of the Clutch Pedal Shaft on the inside of the firewall.

It shares a Fluid Reservoir with the Brake Master which is located in a more usual spot under the left side Inspection Cover under the Hood, but a Hydraulic Line runs from the Brake Master through the firewall to the Clutch Master and another Hydraulic Line runs from the Clutch Master, through the firewall and back to the Clutch Slave Cylinder.

Be sure to tape a dropcloth on the floor and up the side if ever servicing this Master or it's Carpet replacement time...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:38 AM   #10

Best to check that the drains under the front cowling are open also..... they can easily get plugged from leaves and such.

wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote