Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #1

Hey! What's up with the flash?

Years ago, I remember that Porsche drivers used to flash the lights at one another to say hello. When I'm driving any of my other cars of interest (because I have some that are of no interest to anyone, including me), drivers of like vehicles wave, flash the lights or honk or something as a greeting. The Porsche people drive right by and don't even glance in my direction. I know that there's a little snobbery going on between the 911 and 986 people, but even the other Boxster drivers don't wave. Since we've owned our car one guy with a 928 S-4 waved to us. What gives?

It can't be my charming personality, because at 70mph you can barely tell I'm an ************************************.

Last edited by Grizzly; 07-19-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
It can't be my charming personality, because at 70mph you can barely tell I'm an ************************************.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #3

What's up

I think acknowledging a similar vehicle is quickly becoming an anachronism. Porsche drivers rarely waved or flashed their lights at my 912 during my 35 mile commute from La Mesa, CA to Solana Beach. I also made the round trip in a 911, with similar results so I really don’t expect anyone to acknowledge the Boxster. Motorcycle riders have seemed to have kept the faith, although Harley pilots still have difficulty recognizing any other make.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #4

I really dont see Porsches where I live all that often. This is Ohio so if I did pass a Porsche he would probably give me the one finger wave anyway. I lived in North Carolina awhile back and couldnt believe how friendly drivers were, no matter what you were driving. I moved back to Ohio and realized how rude we are. Its like everybody up here is in a hurry to go nowhere. Were assho@#s. No doubt, guilty as charged.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Newby
...Motorcycle riders have seemed to have kept the faith, although Harley pilots still have difficulty recognizing any other make.
There are other makes???

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

I get more waves and thumbs from non-Porsche drivers than the Porsches. I keep giving a wave but I'm starting to loose interest when even the 944's don't acknowledge me.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #7

Wink Its all in the Blin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I get more waves and thumbs from non-Porsche drivers than the Porsches. I keep giving a wave but I'm starting to loose interest when even the 944's don't acknowledge me.
I agree I don't see many non Boxsters flashing lights. Although the defense for that might be they did not see you or distracted looking another way. From our bretheren the VW on STeroid brothers 911, don't too expect much. Snobbery has tainted their outlook and their fat heads. I would make the following statement. " Aficionados & enthusiasts of Porsches will wave" no matter what they drive, effete a_holes that buy expensive p-cars for the status ... won't, ruins their manicures.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
bmussatti

When I have made eye-contact, I have gotten the wave from a few Boxsters, 911's and a 944. Pretty cool actually.

Oh, and I always wave to farmers! You know, they always wave back!!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #9

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
There are other makes???
Perfect! You just made my day...
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #10

Angry 911 Snobbery

Funny this came up. It just happened to me yesterday.

As I was driving to work, I passed by an Arctic Silver 986 with a hard top and we both waved at each other almost simultaneously.

That's what I'm talking about!

Fast forward to the afternoon where I was at a stoplight and on the opposite side was a 911. There was only the median between us, and I know he saw me. As we passed, he kept looking forward like he was making SUCH an effort to not look in my direction.

Ha!
http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/lic...0043_82722.jpg
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #11

What the heck you can pick up a low mileage 99 911 in the low 30's big deal. I guess my point is why snobbery? 30k car big deal. Now 140k 911 turbo your getting my attention.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #12
bmussatti

What does the guy (or Gal) do in the $450,000 Carrera GT??
Old 07-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #13

I still get the old hand at the 12oclock position waive from most Porsche drivers in my area. Although, driving a Boxster S where I live is pretty low on the totem pole. I usually pass every kind of AMG benz, Bently Cont. , Ferrari 360 spyder, Vipers etc. on
a daily basis.
What are these people doing for a living?
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
What does the guy (or Gal) do in the $450,000 Carrera GT??

He/She can take the top off look up in the sky and Thank the Lord....
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #15

"What does the guy (or Gal) do in the $450,000 Carrera GT??"

When at the dealer, I was thumbing through the latest Christophorous (or Panorama or one of 'em), and they had an article on the shutting down of the CGT production line. They also had input from the woman responsible for handling the meet and greet for owners picking up their CGTs in person. Of all the owners she'd met, only two were female.

I guess that's one reason I don't meet chicks driving CGTs down at my favorite watering hole.

She also said one owner pulled the cover off his CGT and broke down crying, as he was overwhelmed with emotion. Anyone ever moved to tears by their Boxster?

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:18 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Anyone ever moved to tears by their Boxster?

I have/do....Everytime i do some type of cosmetic mod
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #17

It happened to me again on the way home. I was stopped at a traffic light and an Arctic Silver 996 was stopped opposite me in the left turn lane. Maybe he didn't see me. We only sat there looking at each other for a minute and thirty nine seconds (not that I was counting).

Man that pisses me off! Bet he'd have seen me if I'd T-boned him with my Bronco and pushed him into a ditch.

...and yes, I did wave...and flash...and looked like a dick doing it.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #18

I live in Northern Virginia and see few Porsche cars on a daily basis. I try to flash my fog lights to acknowledge the other driver and I usually get a response. While driving in northern NY state earlier this month a string of Harleys passed by and one rider gave me a 'thumbs up' salute. I thought that was cool.
This past weekend I was driving thru Purcellville and got a wave from a 911 driver. Then, a few miles later, a 911 driver at a stop light in Leesburg didn't even look my way. At the next traffic light he blew thru the yellow light and I chose not to run the potential red light.

Have any fellow NoVa Boxster owners driven Snickersville Turnpike? It's a really fun drive and some of the road has recently been repaved- but I usually get stuck behind some SUV (or worse, horse trailer) going under the speed limit 50% of the drive.

Regards,
derb
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #19

I think the wave distinguishes the enthusiasts from the owners. The people that don't wave got the car simply for the sake of owning a Porsche. That's my theory.

I remember the first wave I got. I was thinking to myself, "there's a Porsche guy like me, I'm so gonna wave. Then low and behold, he waved first." It's weird how rewarding that is.

Headlight flashings are reserved to inform other motorists of "radar patrol ahead." Don't do that.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
I think the wave distinguishes the enthusiasts from the owners. The people that don't wave got the car simply for the sake of owning a Porsche. That's my theory.

I remember the first wave I got. I was thinking to myself, "there's a Porsche guy like me, I'm so gonna wave. Then low and behold, he waved first." It's weird how rewarding that is.

Headlight flashings are reserved to inform other motorists of "radar patrol ahead." Don't do that.

Hey Jeph, I think you nailed it!!