Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #1

Crankshaft position sensor replacement. Please help

Hello folks
My 2000 Porsche Boxster has been having issues when the car is warm and it won't restart and recently it has been having the problem where once it warms up the engine just dies. Now I know that this is a problem with the crankshaft position sensor and I have ordered a new one and received it. I have seen many threads on changing out the crankshaft position sensor but I have jacked up the car and I do not see it anywhere and I don't know where to even start to look because the YouTube videos that I've watched it is deep inside but it looks to be straight on past the axle but I am just having the hardest time trying to even locate it let alone replacing it. Can anybody out there help me because this is so frustrating

Rcheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #2

MY99 Boxster Crank Position sensor DIY - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Passenger side of flywheel.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #3

Yes I have removed the passenger side rear wheel because I had heard that that is the way to access it but I am very new to working on a Boxster so I am not sure if this is really the best approach to locate it or should I try to access the top of the engine and go that route. I have reviewed the Pelican Parts site and the pictures just really are not doing me justice to help me find it
Old 07-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcheeseman View Post
Hello folks
My 2000 Porsche Boxster has been having issues when the car is warm and it won't restart and recently it has been having the problem where once it warms up the engine just dies. Now I know that this is a problem with the crankshaft position sensor and I have ordered a new one and received it. I have seen many threads on changing out the crankshaft position sensor but I have jacked up the car and I do not see it anywhere and I don't know where to even start to look because the YouTube videos that I've watched it is deep inside but it looks to be straight on past the axle but I am just having the hardest time trying to even locate it let alone replacing it. Can anybody out there help me because this is so frustrating

And that should have alarm bells ringing!
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #5

Well I did talk to my local Porsche dealer and they wanted more than $800 for parts and labor and they said that they would not replace it without doing a diagnostic which was $295 so I thought after reviewing the YouTube videos and everything that I read that this should not be very hard to do myself. So are you saying that I should leave it to the professionals LOL
Old 07-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I did this last year, it is in a very difficult location, but doable. The CPS is only held in place by one screw (don't drop it!), the part I had trouble with was releasing the wiring plug from the metal holder. I removed the passenger rear wheel, then laid on my back directly under the suspension with my head under the rotor/suspension and my legs under the engine/exhaust. I then reached up through the suspension to reach the CPS.

BTW, it is impossible to reach from the top.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I did this last year, it is in a very difficult location, but doable. The CPS is only held in place by one screw (don't drop it!), the part I had trouble with was releasing the wiring plug from the metal holder. I removed the passenger rear wheel, then laid on my back directly under the suspension with my head under the rotor/suspension and my legs under the engine/exhaust. I then reached up through the suspension to reach the CPS.

BTW, it is impossible to reach from the top.
Sweet, thanks for the reply. I will try that.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcheeseman View Post
Well I did talk to my local Porsche dealer and they wanted more than $800 for parts and labor and they said that they would not replace it without doing a diagnostic which was $295 so I thought after reviewing the YouTube videos and everything that I read that this should not be very hard to do myself. So are you saying that I should leave it to the professionals LOL
Hello RCheeseman, don't give up.. you just need to get familiar with the car layout.

If you put the car on jack stands, laying on the floor (a thick piece of cardbox is great for this) and just spend some time underneath looking at all the details of the design, you will be able to see where the engine and transmission are attached to each other, on the engine side is the flywheel, this is where the sensor is bolted to the engine.

Be patient with the harness connector as mentioned earlier, remove the connector from the holder before you separate the connector.

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hello RCheeseman, don't give up.. you just need to get familiar with the car layout.

If you put the car on jack stands, laying on the floor (a thick piece of cardbox is great for this) and just spend some time underneath looking at all the details of the design, you will be able to see where the engine and transmission are attached to each other, on the engine side is the flywheel, this is where the sensor is bolted to the engine.

Be patient with the harness connector as mentioned earlier, remove the connector from the holder before you separate the connector.

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply! My last question is about jack points. There are 4 recommended jack points, right behind the front tires and right in front of the rear tires. Is there any point in the middle of the rear of the car that it would be safe to use the jack on? I have the jack stands setup on the rear jack points, but I want to put the jack on something in the rear just for safety sake. Basically want the extra protection not to be crushed.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Put the jack under the forward point of the diamond shaped plate, between the two bolts. You can safely support the rear from that location, but it requires a long/low jack. Do not use the back of the plate near the exhaust, it cannot safely handle the weight. Make sure you use wheel chocks on the front wheels, since the car is RWD.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #11

I typically place whatever tire/wheel I have removed under the center of the car as a safety net. Not using it to support any weight but its there for worst case.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #12

Garage
I am about to have a go at replacing the crank sensor. I want to make sure I have the right tools to hand . The bolt holding the sensor in looks to be a Torx bolt ? Does anyone know what size or what size torx they used to get it out ?
Skullb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #13

I wanna say mine was a 5mm hex, but could be my memory failing. Its an m6 bolt, so you can look up what torx head that usually is. T30 or thereabouts
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #14

I have found the CPS but can’t find where the electrical connection is. Help
Hotrod2147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod2147 View Post
I have found the CPS but can’t find where the electrical connection is. Help
It is about 10 inches up the harness from the sensor itself.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:02 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
It is about 10 inches up the harness from the sensor itself.
And it's a lot of fun to release!
Old 07-23-2022, 11:59 AM   #17

Garage
Just ordered a new sensor, reading this thread I realize I´ll have some fun to look forward to :-)
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:01 PM   #18

Hopefully a clearer view of the sensor and connector......

-Eric
Eric-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:41 AM   #19
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-986 View Post

Hopefully a clearer view of the sensor and connector......

-Eric
Are they the ones circled?

On a serious note... how about circling the parts, for us neophytes.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:40 AM   #20

Better? (circles came out messy)

-Eric

Eric-986 is offline   Reply With Quote