Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #1

Garage
Watches

I've always felt the strong connection between sports cars and watches. The precision, the attention to detail, the purity. Of course I can't afford a Singer, and by the same token, I'm not sporting a Heuer Monaco on my wrist. Like many others on here, I got my 986 for a reasonable price, and similarly, I discovered the affordability of vintage Seiko automatics a while back. I currently have four in my collection, including a Bullhead. The green-faced one is actually not vintage, it's a new collection from Seiko that is influenced by their watches from the 70's. Anybody else a fan of watches?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
I am, I love my white faced $32 Timex. It take a licking and keeps on ticking! The Lizzard skin ban cost more than the watch....LOL!
Old 05-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #3

I'm of the same ilk. I have a '97 Omega Speedmaster that was beat up and is now 'reconditioned' to 'new'. My everyday watch is an Oris 200m diver. I work in tech but I'm not interested in a smartwatch. I appreciate the engineering and intricacy of the design in an automatic watch ... maybe a similarity to the Boxster. I can't afford new, but I can afford used ... and appreciate it the same, maybe more.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I also like watches, and I have quite a few Seiko automatic's that I have modified with custom parts. I like to tinker with things, and it's a funny hobby in the winter when it's harder to work on my 986.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #5

I also like watches. Loved taking pocket watches apart and putting them back together when I was a kid (6-7 years old). Moved up to cuckoo clocks, then grandfather clocks.

I currently have a collection of watches including some early 80's Casio scientific calculator watches, some Suunto's (Vectors mostly), and a mismatch of various other watches.

But my favorite to date was my Omega Speedmaster Professional X-33 Gen 1. "Certified by NASA for all Space Missions". It's the watch given to shuttle astronauts. Always wanted to be an astronaut, so for my 40th birthday I gave myself one. Wore it for 11 years, then finally sold it. Missed it, so I bought another (my current one, a Gen 2). Unlike the first one (which had a kevlar band) this one has a Titanium band. And I never wear the thing because I'm afraid I'll scratch it! LOL

My everyday watch these days is a Garmin vivoactive. I love the large display. I hate that it keeps telling me to get off my butt and MOVE.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #6

They Say

All a man needs is a good Car, watch and pocket knife

whoever "they" are

I have always wanted a Breitling....should have bought one when I could have afforded it.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
All a man needs is a good Car, watch and pocket knife

whoever "they" are

I have always wanted a Breitling....should have bought one when I could have afforded it.
I have always admired all things mechanical. I'm a huge fan of Breitling and have 2. My next addition will be an Omega Planet Ocean. I'm a diver fan. I have a Citizen eco-drive titanium Blue Angels watch when I travel

My daily...Breitling Super Ocean Professional

And my favorite... Breitling Steelfish I have the Pro2 bracelet for special occasions.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #8

Garage
Thought I'd add this one. The details are incredible, Except the smudge.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:44 PM   #9

I too am a watch guy... Since went to school for Mechanical engineering, I favor mechanical/self winding watches. Love all the intricacies of building them. My travel watch is a Rolex GMT-Master II which allows me to track two time zones and my play watch is an Omega Seamaster Professional. The latter is one of the best looking watches in my opinion
2000 C2 Aero - Track Car
1965 Dodge Coronet 440 - Nostalgia
lowpue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:08 AM   #10

Im a huge watch guy with a varied collection from a jlc to a seiko 5. Really like the handwinders, including the speedy pro.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:15 AM   #11

When I began obtaining the watches I wanted, I learned something valuable: Servicing a chronograph is like servicing 2 watches! Yikes! No more chronographs The Brietling Navitimer is a dream watch .... I hope that there is always an appeal and appreciation for these timepieces.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:51 AM   #12

I went through a watch collecting phase. It gets expensive really fast and next thing I knew I had 10's of thousands of dollars in watches. Like cars they don't like to sit unused so maintenance gets to be an issue. The expensive ones are expensive to clean and maintain (not uncommon for a tuneup to cost $300.) I had several break for big bucks...seems like the more expensive ones are more prone to this than the Seiko's and Citizens. I'm down to a dozen now and would scale down further if it weren't that several of the ones I own need service before I can sell them (or sell them at a big loss for someone else to service.)
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:18 AM   #13

I agree. I have 2. Everyday and dress. My watch guy said (after servicing the chrono) if it sits unwound, it's no problem and it will extend the service interval. But it gets too crazy having an extensive collection ... of anything
Old 05-25-2017, 04:21 AM   #14

Garage
I used to be really hard on watches and went "utilitarian" on the few I had. My wife got me a couple nice ones over the last few years and I grew to appreciate them. I fell into a deal I could not pass up on a Tag Heuer recently. Cant wait to wear it after it gets the band fixed ... which wasn't cheap.
FoxRvrBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:21 AM   #15
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Daily driver...

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:46 AM   #16
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Wear an Orient Blue Mako automatic. Planning on adding some others into the "collection" (which are mainly Seiko Kinetics...). Hamilton Khaki mechanical being next, I think.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #17

My father was Swiss and I have his old watches, a 1950s IWC, an Eterna and a Bucherer. I've had an IWC Spitfire for the past 10 years. I like it because most people have no idea what it is. If I were to get another watch, it would be an Omega Seamaster, but it would be the quartz version. One mechanical chronograph to maintain is more than enough for me!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #18

Don't have any cool watches myself but I saw this a few months ago and thought it was pretty neat

Appraisal: 1960 GMT Master Model Rolex with Box & Papers
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #19

I am in the same boat... love watches.

My favorite that I have used and abused....

(Google photo.... )

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD

Last edited by Chuck W.; 05-25-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
My father was Swiss and I have his old watches, a 1950s IWC, an Eterna and a Bucherer. I've had an IWC Spitfire for the past 10 years. I like it because most people have no idea what it is. If I were to get another watch, it would be an Omega Seamaster, but it would be the quartz version. One mechanical chronograph to maintain is more than enough for me!
IWC is another phenomenal watch company. Having them as family heirlooms is also another wonderful 'by-product' of owing them.