Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #1

Garage
RIP Roger Moore...

89 was a good run, but I thought James Bond could never die. My first memories of the character were as a teenager watching Roger's films on ABC when they'd do a James Bond marathon over a week.

Sir Roger Moore, James Bond actor, dies aged 89 - BBC News

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #2

He was a class act...

Now he's with the other Saints...
Old 05-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #3

Here's to The Saint and his cooler than cool Volvo .
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:50 AM   #4
I am No. 1348

Garage
Cheers in heaven. I was such a fan of the James Bond brand growing up. I had the 007 Attache case with all the spy instruments; fake radio, pen that shoots darts, etc. Still to this day, I enjoy watching the Bond series. No deference to Sir Roger Moore, but Sean Connery is my favorite 00!
Old 05-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Here's to The Saint and his cooler than cool Volvo .
I still love those Volvo P1800's and watch The Saint in reruns. Stand Up Guy, he did a lot of charity work for UNICEF.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Roger Moore was a superb actor and was good in the Bond films. However there was only one James Bond, and it was Sean Connery. I think most Women of Connery's era in the Bond films would agree.....
Old 05-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #7

RIP Roger

If you get a chance to watch it, his movie ffolkes was quite a side road from Bond and quite good for the time it was filmed.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I still love those Volvo P1800's and watch The Saint in reruns. Stand Up Guy, he did a lot of charity work for UNICEF.
He certainly was. In the Top Gear 50 Years of Bond Cars, Roger Moore said his favorite Bond car was the Citroen because it was so quirky. I considered an Esprit when I was deciding what to buy this time around. Love the P1800 as well, but decided to go with the Porsche. Never missed a Bond film, but I think he was at his best in The Saint. Thanks Roger for all the great memories!

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Old 05-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
there was only one James Bond, and it was Sean Connery.
I agree but I've always thought that Moore was just too old for Bond. If he'd played Bond at the age he did The Saint he could very well have been the best Bond...
Old 05-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #10

I liked them both, but Sean Connery being the first Bond I remember was a hard act to follow.
RIP Roger, and thanks for all the great memories!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3mPRf9Kpm8
Old 05-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #11

Garage
Connery was first and best, but Daniel Craig is fantastic. I'll be the minority here and say that after seeing every Bond film many times over, my personal overall favourite is On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Best cinematography, some of the best editing, best portrayal of a villain, and George Lazenby was truly better than people say he was. Most people that say he was terrible have not even seen the film. He also has the distinction of being the youngest Bond ever - 27 at the time of filming. And how about Diana Rigg as the only Bond girl he ever marries...she was gorgeous.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #12
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
Connery was first and best, but Daniel Craig is fantastic. I'll be the minority here and say that after seeing every Bond film many times over, my personal overall favourite is On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Best cinematography, some of the best editing, best portrayal of a villain, and George Lazenby was truly better than people say he was. Most people that say he was terrible have not even seen the film. He also has the distinction of being the youngest Bond ever - 27 at the time of filming. And how about Diana Rigg as the only Bond girl he ever marries...she was gorgeous.

+1 for OHMSS.... my fave Bond film
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
+1 for OHMSS.... my fave Bond film
+1 for Diana Rigg (and her Lotus Elan in the Avengers). OHMSS is one of my favorites for the reasons already mentioned along with the fact that it brought a return to more closely following Ian Fleming's books. If you haven't read the books, give them a try, Fleming was quite the car guy and he was very eloquent in all his writing.

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 05-26-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:29 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
+1 for Diana Rigg (and her Lotus Elan in the Avengers). OHMSS is one of my favorites for the reasons already mentioned along with the fact that it brought a return to more closely following Ian Fleming's books. If you haven't read the books, give them a try, Fleming was quite the car guy and he was very eloquent in all his writing.

Exactly. It's funny because people were very disappointed when the Timothy Dalton films were released. They thought they were too serious and lacked the humour of Roger's films, but the reality was they were more true to the books. For anyone out there that hasn't seen it yet, do yourself the favour of watching the documentary "Everything or Nothing", which documents all the films. It's fantastic.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:14 AM   #15

He will always be remembered, he was one of best actors to portray James Bond.

RIP Mr. Roger Moore.
slimxaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:55 AM   #16
I am my own mechanic....

I grew up with For Your Eyes Only but my fav all time 007 is View To A Kill.

RIP. Great actor. Fit the part perfectly.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote