Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #1

Headlights

I have a 1986 Boxster 986 w/75,000 miles bought it when it had only 50,000 miles. My problem is my headlights look like the bulbs are burning up the lens. Can I buy specific parts of the headlight assembly without buying the whole headlight assembly.

J P Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #3

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #4

I've seen a lot of people point to this thread. Are they actually available for shipment?
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
As an alternative, you can completely remove the inner lenses. It looks great and you don't have to worry about burning/melting them ever again.
Of course, if you go through the trouble of opening the headlights, it may be better to just install HID projectors.
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 09-17-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J P Morris View Post
I have a 1986 Boxster 986 w/75,000 miles
1986 Boxster? Um, ok...

You can't buy just the lenses unless you get them from someone who is converting their headlights to projectors. I had a brand new set but sold them last year.

Post a message in the parts wanted/for sale section and ask Woody (ItsNotANova) if he has any trashed headlights that you might get an inner lens out of.

Also, check ebay. I've seen some headlights listed where the outer lens was smashed in an accident and the seller was selling off the rest. Try seller QualityPorscheParts. They won't be as cheap as Woody, but they part out a lot of cars and you might get lucky...

Search the forums - there are a couple of threads that discussed how to open the headlights up to get at the inner lenses.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Guy View Post
I've seen a lot of people point to this thread. Are they actually available for shipment?
Nine8Six is going to be making a new batch sometime soon. He doesn't always do PMs, post a note on the end of that thread and hopefully he'll add you to the list!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
As an alternative, you can completely remove the inner lenses. It looks great and you don't have to worry about burning/melting them ever again.
Of course, if you go through the trouble of opening the headlights, it may be better to just install HID projectors.

How's the beam pattern without the fluted lens in place? Any annoying glare?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
How's the beam pattern without the fluted lens in place? Any annoying glare?
No excessive glare, beam pattern does not change.
The diffusing lens is redundant and unnecessary.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Nine8Six is going to be making a new batch sometime soon. He doesn't always do PMs, post a note on the end of that thread and hopefully he'll add you to the list!
Thanks. I don't need them. I was just wondering if they were in production yet.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Guy View Post
Thanks. I don't need them. I was just wondering if they were in production yet.
If you don't have Litronics, these are the Bee's knees. Compared to the standard halogen headlights the difference is literally night and day! Fred does thrn as a side project from his regular day job, so they're only available when he decides to make a batch.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post

How did you "OPEN" them.
I have a great pair just waiting for this to be done.
Fuzzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzuki View Post
How did you "OPEN" them.
I have a great pair just waiting for this to be done.
It's all in Nine8Six's (Fred's) thread Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish). Particlewave has also posted some Youtube videos on getting the lenses off and reinstalling them.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #14

The inner lens is necessary to correctly distribute the light. Otherwise you risk dazzling cars traveling in the opposite direction.
Italux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:38 PM   #15

How does it stand up to weather? Does it pass state inspections? Which states?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:50 PM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italux View Post
The inner lens is necessary to correctly distribute the light. Otherwise you risk dazzling cars traveling in the opposite direction.
Incorrect. There are plenty of cars that use smooth reflectors without a diffusing lens.
Yes, it will pass inspection as they are not required.

Example: this Volvo S80 in my driveway uses a halogen bulb with a smooth reflector and no diffusing lens.

Read up on DOT lighting regulation and show where it says a diffusing lens is required.
(Hint: it doesn't )

Last edited by particlewave; 05-31-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #17

Yes, but in that case it has been studied at the origin and the manufacturer worked on the parabolas to get the correct light distribution.
Why put that inner lens if not necessary?
Italux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:20 AM   #18

I'm not weighing in on the requirement or need for the diffusing lens, but I have a question. But I note that Volvo headlight has something solid right in front of the top of the halogen bulb. My Acura TL has projector low beams and halogen high beams. The halogen high beams also function as the daytime running lights at much lower wattage. The Acura's halogen bulbs also don't have an inner diffusing lens, but they have something similar in front of the top of the halogen bulb.

Could the cover in front of the halogen bulb also act as kind of a diffuser? Also, most of the halogen bulbs I've seen have the top of the bulb frosted a dark gray while the rest of the bulb is clear.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #19
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italux View Post
Yes, but in that case it has been studied at the origin and the manufacturer worked on the parabolas to get the correct light distribution.
Why put that inner lens if not necessary?
I have personally removed inner lenses on a couple dozen sets of 986/996 headlights and the owners have had zero issues with glare or "dazzling" and all pass inspection. What is your experience with these headlights?
With all of the cars on the road with misaligned headlights or HID bulbs haphazardly thrown into halogen reflectors, I wouldn't worry about any potential extra glare from a halogen without a diffuser (which isn't an issue, anyway).
I'll say it one last time: it's not necessary. Period. End of discussion.

I have one halogen headlight remaining on my workbench. Someday soon, I'll take comparison shots with and without the inner lens for anyone curious (maybe even video), but I won't debate it. Actual experience beats ill informed speculation every time.

Last edited by particlewave; 06-01-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #20
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I'm not weighing in on the requirement or need for the diffusing lens, but I have a question. But I note that Volvo headlight has something solid right in front of the top of the halogen bulb. My Acura TL has projector low beams and halogen high beams. The halogen high beams also function as the daytime running lights at much lower wattage. The Acura's halogen bulbs also don't have an inner diffusing lens, but they have something similar in front of the top of the halogen bulb.

Could the cover in front of the halogen bulb also act as kind of a diffuser? Also, most of the halogen bulbs I've seen have the top of the bulb frosted a dark gray while the rest of the bulb is clear.
The cover is a dual purpose light and heat shield (doesn't function as a very good heat shield in our cars).
All halogen bulbs are dipped in a light blocking paint at the tip so that light is emitted only at the sides, so the light blocker is redundant.

Anyone with burnt inner lenses could try removing them, if they don't want to install projectors, and view the results before sealing them back up.
No need to take my word for it.

That's my last word on the subject. Have fun