Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #1

Oil on passeger side crankcase

Well I smelled oil today after getting home from work so I decided to check it out. Upon inspection I found oil pooled on the top of the passenger side of the crankcase. I did notice that the vacuum hose that goes to the cut-off valve is broken off. Will this cause the oil leak on the top of the motor? While I'm at it what is that hard plastic hose called and can it be replaced with any other hose? Any ides would be appreciated.

Last edited by ctimgo; 05-09-2017 at 08:16 AM.
ctimgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #2

Left hand drive?
Probably oil filler pipe crack if LHD
Cut-off valve ? Do you mean the black/white one-way valve that fits in the Intake Plenum?
Try Auto Atlanta to identify the specific part.
Probably easier to just repair the vacuum hose. Pelican sell it.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #3

Yes left hand drive

It's not the oil filler hose I checked that. No it's not the black and white valve, it is the other valve. I checked the schematic and the official name is the change over valve. Thanks for the help on where to find the parts break down.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #4

Oil pressure sender loose? Leaky AOS &/or AOS hose connection? Dip stick tube?
Very difficult to check the underside of the oil filler tube where it cracks.
Need a very small ,powerful gooseneck inspection lamp to check when the engine is running or when filling with oil. Amazon sell one intended for sewing machines.Kobalt have one also.Swab the underside of the tube with a clean white rag to detect drips?

Last edited by Gelbster; 05-09-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #5

I don't see anywhere the oil is dripping from a hose so I guess I will have to take off the passenger side plenum. This will be my first time diving that far into the motor as I am new to the Porsche. Are the gaskets reusable or should I replace them any time that I take the plenum off? I also haven't gotten a Bentley book yet so what are the torque specs for the bolts in the plenum? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:53 PM   #6

Garage
Replace the gaskets.
alex.rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #7

The rubber ducts are all you need to remove at this stage.Do not remove the Intake unless you find the repair requires it. The origin of the drip will be well concealed - hence the bright light, lots of cleaning and poking around.You may have to reconnect the rubber ducts and run the engine a little to start pinpointing the source of the leaks.
All you need to remove are hose clamps to get the ducts off but mark/photograph exactly where they fit on the intakes or you will have air leaks .I use a paint marker pen.
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Met-Al-1296-1324-Squeeze-Action/dp/B000KL7OYO