Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #1

She's home!

After a few months of our Explo Sport taking the bullet giving up it's comfy insulated garage space to our new 986 in the middle of winter, I was finally able to get the 'toybox' in shape so that our 986 could move into its permanent home and the Explo could reclaim its position in the attached garage

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #2

In view of your cold location and desire to pamper the M96 , suggest you research cold climate related bore scoring.There are some preventative precautions that may help preserve/protect it. Block heater perhaps ?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
In view of your cold location and desire to pamper the M96 , suggest you research cold climate related bore scoring.There are some preventative precautions that may help preserve/protect it. Block heater perhaps ?
Hi Gel, thanks for the recommendation. The garage is heated, we're on a mountain road and she is on summer tires, so she'll be winterized and elevated on the Quickjack for the winter. We'll leave the winter months to the S5 and enjoy the 986 in spring through fall.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Old 04-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #4

Bore scoring prevention requires some rather abnormal tricks- not just your admirable pampering. I am not qualified to advize since we get no frost here but it is an issue in N. latitudes,Canada and in Europe. The repair costs more than the value of most Boxsters and many 996 cars.So it is worth asking/researching for such a nice car as yours.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #5

Bore scoring from just sitting over a winter in 0-10 Celsius temperature? Nope. I would love to see the evidence on this ....
Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #6

Cause is inadequate cold clearances which produces damage similar to inadequate lubrication.It is not a new issue.Just read Hartech for example.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Bore+scoring+cold+raby&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 04-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #7

Okay, but in the event of putting a car into storage pre-winter and taking it out (ie. first engine start) in the Spring - this shouldn't be an issue?
Old 04-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

AS I suggested, better to search the links I gave and take expert opinion. I am not an expert - but I listen when they share :-).
The precautions are inexpensive ,the remedy not so much.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #9

If you park the car before it gets cold, and then don't start it up until it is warm again, how can bore scoring even possibly be an issue?

Before I insulated and heated my garage, my car was stored over the winter in temperatures sometimes colder than -40, but it was never run at those temps and I have never had a problem. Don't worry about it.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
. . . Bore scoring prevention requires some rather abnormal tricks- not just your admirable pampering. . .
Hi again Gel, Thanks again for your recommendations, but I do not appreciate what appears to be your patronizing tone in this followup message. I am approaching 62 years in age and have been involved in racing and wrenching motorsports since I was thirteen.

I have owned 6 other Porsches in my lifetime and I managed not to destroy any of them. I am not in awe of my $15,500 986, and I do not 'admirably pamper' it. In fact, I drive the living cr@p out of it. It is an automobile and I know how to care for it. I take care of it, it takes care of me. Nothing more, nothing less.

My OP was just a lighthearted post to say my 986 finally had its place along with my other well regarded, well cared for toys. Anyway, just wanted to get that straight and tell you that I'm looking forward to our continuing interactions in the forum.

Best Regards, Fred

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 04-27-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #11

Of course.
See #7 above. It depends on the temperature you start it at.It is all in the links.
Bore scoring specific to the M96 in cold climates first came up around 5 years ago IIRC General awareness of the issue still very low according to the links .
Not an issue for me and anyone in temperate climates. Just offered the links to help others in colder areas.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #12
I am my own mechanic....

There's only two times I hear the name Raby.

1) From a happy customer who spent nearly the car's value on a rebuild. No doubt he does great work.

2) From some scare term or warning or suggestion the car will explode at any second doing whatever it is you're doing or driving it at all without his IMS and his rebuild.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
If you park the car before it gets cold, and then don't start it up until it is warm again, how can bore scoring even possibly be an issue?

Before I insulated and heated my garage, my car was stored over the winter in temperatures sometimes colder than -40, but it was never run at those temps and I have never had a problem. Don't worry about it.
Well, having attended UofM, I'm going with the Winnipeg guy! Obviously, these cars are surviving in Manitoba, over their winter storage
Old 04-28-2017, 04:05 AM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
Well, having attended UofM, I'm going with the Winnipeg guy! Obviously, these cars are surviving in Manitoba, over their winter storage
I've heard you can't really trust any of the mechanics in their centralized car care system. The mechanics aren't the best trained. You'd want to come here for open hood stuff.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:33 AM   #15
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Another guy from the 'Peg here. For the first 5 years of it's existence my car resided in Houston and put on 35,000 miles. For it's next 5 it resided here in Winnipeg, driven only 10,000 miles over that period and stored in a heated garage each winter. Since acquiring the car I have put on 15,000 miles in 3 years and stored it for the 3 winters in an unheated garage.

My point? I think if the vehicle is properly maintained and prepped before storing it the car will be just fine in the spring. Which it has been.

Mark_T and I have seen and heard each others cars and they are both well cared for inside and out.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote