Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #1

2001 Boxster setting for 2 years: What to do before starting?

Like the title says. I've come to own a 2001 986 Boxster 2.7 with 72,XXX miles. Problem is that the vehicle has set for almost 2 years without being driven. The oil and coolant had been changed 1 year prior to being parked. 800 miles on the last oil / coolant change.

What are the items that I need to address. Here is a short list of what i think needs to be checked / changed. Can someone please expound?

- Coolant
- Fuel
- Fuel System
- Oil
- Trans / Diff

kentukblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #2

Brake fluid
Drive belt
Old 04-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #3

Did the gas have stabil added. If not, i would try to get some good gas in it.

Other than that, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the motor until the oil pressure light goes off then replace the fuse and statrt.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #4

Garage
Do you know why was it parked? Was there an issue with the engine?
Pull all spark plugs.
Get a scope and look inside cylinders.
Spray a fogging oil in cylinders, Marvel Mystery oil works well. This will help to address any carbon stuck rings and valves and provide cylinder lubrication.
With spark plugs out turn engine over BY HAND at least 2 revolutions checking for any resistance.
Get the old fuel out of the tank and use fresh fuel . The whole fuel system is likely polluted with gum and varnish and may need work.
Change the motor oil.
Check the air filter and change if dirty.
Top off the coolant but I wouldn't change until after the engine runs.
There will be lots of stuff to address before driving such as tires belts brakes etc. but first see if it LIVES. Good Luck

Last edited by 911monty; 04-27-2017 at 01:12 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #5

Oh for crissakes, it hasn't been in a barn for 40 years. Fresh oil, fresh fuel, charge the battery, check the air filter for mouse nests, and fire it up.

Betcha it starts on the first pull and runs fine. It may clatter for a few seconds while the lifters pump up, and you might get a puff or two of blue smoke.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #6

Modern formulations of gasoline are much less stable than the old formulations . If you Search you'll find it is useable for no more than 1 year which is probably why San Rensho and the other smart guys suggest changing it -yes you need to drain & purge it all out.
Don't be surprised if you find it has some gelled fuel in the fuel filter and/or the fuel pressure regulator.When the gel reaches the regulator or the injectors it may cause problems that are real time wasters.The injector filter basket mesh size is so small that gel will plug them. So it is probably smart to drain and purge all the old fuel.
Just jumper the fuel pump relay and use a 15A(Max) fuse and switch. Maybe Post and ask for more specifics.
Before you start it ,try to turn it over at the C/s pulley nut(24mm) to make sure there are no stiff spots. The after-the -rebuild starting procedure is probably helpful. Short bursts on the starter with the fuel pump relay removed.
Also Search for "Initialization" .This essential procedure will prevent all sorts of problems with the keys/imobilizer/alarm/windows and top.
None of this applies to older cars and it is a real nuisance to have to do all this prep but those who who rebuild M96 engines learned the hard way and shared these ideas with us. I was certainly grateful for their recommendations -it certainly helped me with starting my M96 after I rebuilt it.
Good Luck with the resurrection Expect lots of DTC's and I/M Flags !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Oh for crissakes, it hasn't been in a barn for 40 years. Fresh oil, fresh fuel, charge the battery, check the air filter for mouse nests, and fire it up.

Betcha it starts on the first pull and runs fine. It may clatter for a few seconds while the lifters pump up, and you might get a puff or two of blue smoke.
Hahaha, that is what I would normally say but I'm with Gelbster on this one as far as draining the fuel and turn it over by hand and then with fuel pump relay removed first. It is not like these engines have proven to be overly tough to take anything. Might as well use a little kid gloves on them just to be sure.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:51 AM   #8

Garage
Pray..... lol