Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #41

I had a stroke a month ago. Buy the damned car and drive it like it is your last day!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maynard_Goff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #42

Garage
Boxster fully justified.

Hi all,

Thanks for the wise guidance, everyone! It’s unanimous: don’t hide it, don’t over-think it, and don’t wait any longer.

The hiding of the car would be done partly out of convenience- no room out front. I’ll be renting garage space from a friend on the corner. The ambivalence of indulging in an expensive toy in a morally complicated world is fading away, as I reflect on the fun I’ve had in my test drives. I’m *that* shallow, it turns out.

I didn’t mention in my original post that I work from home and don’t need a commuter car, but I do have to get out 3 or 4 times a week for one thing or another. I think it is ridiculously impractical for me to be driving a big minivan around all alone to do errands, when a Boxster would be muuuuuuch more practical.

Life is short. My mother never wanted anything more than to paint, and always worked at it, but never had the chunks of time she wanted, interrupted first by pregnancy, later jobs, then caring for an older husband, and so on. Right when she was finally getting the time she wanted, she had a massive stroke. It almost killed her, but she has had a miraculous recovery and has regained almost everything- except the use of her painting hand.

Thanks also for the clips. Ed Helms is the Lawrence Olivier of Cringe Theatre.

It has been my style to overthink things, which serves me well in my work, as long as I do a good job editing out the fluff before deadline. The results are usually good, and today I got the thumbs up from the mechanic performing the PPI, who told me he’d buy it himself if he could.

At one point in looking over your responses it occurred to me to do a search in the forum on the term “permagrin.” Just as I suspected: too many results to count.

I bounced some ideas off my wife while I rubbed her feet, which usually puts her in a state of hypnosis. She said, “Is this your menopause car?” She agreed to the concept of a Boxster if I got vanity plates that read “MENOPAUSE.” That’s too many letters- maybe I could spread it across two plates, a base model and an S.

Vanity plate will read something like “MWMWMWM” which is impossible to read well enough to report, and which, if I’m lucky, might even trick the red light cameras.

I bought two Arctic Silver Boxsters over the weekend, but only got a PPI on one of them. The first will arrive in a few days (see picture) and I will pick up the second one next week.

Thanks, all, for your guidance.
MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #43

So you go from thinking about buying one to buying two? Congratulations! Everyone is going to want to see pictures of both Boxster's.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #44
Racer Boy

The one in the picture looks like a model. If it is the real thing, you'll have overheating problems!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #45

I think MikeMcMo is playing a little joke. 1 model, 1 driveable.

That model does look pretty cool.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #46

I was inspired by this thread and finally told my wife that I bought a Boxster a couple of months ago. Of course, I made sure she had a few drinks in her first. Then I shared a picture. Her response was that she was not impressed and expected it to have a bow on it, for her birthday .... I don't want to think what she meant by the latter part of her comment .....
Old 04-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #47
I am No. 1348

Garage
Your all a bunch of rookies at this; My strategy was to purchase my wife her dream car first, then in sympathy she would let me buy my choice.

Worked like a charm, only WAAAAY more expensive! ;-)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #48

Congratulations! You'll be glad you bought it, like the ad or Tom Cruise said Porsche there is no substitute! That's always cool to have a model of it too, I usually have done that in the past. The cars are long gone but not the models. That was a good move having a PPI done and garaging it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxBmiGyqERg

Last edited by joecal; 04-25-2017 at 10:21 AM.
joecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #49

Garage
Two thumbs up on getting the die-cast replica. That was on my Christmas list the year after we got ours.
FoxRvrBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #50

Garage
Boxster fully justified, part two.

Well, I drove my new old Boxster home today. 1999 base with 51K on it.

I have a couple small problems.

This is supposed to be a fast car. It took an hour to be driven out to pick up the car, yet it took about two and a half hours to get back home. No idea what happened in the intervening time.

And I think I got ripped off. When I got halfway home, I pulled over to take a look at the engine, and popped the hood and freaked out. Nothing there. Then I remembered Porsches are related to VW bugs and realized the engine is in the back, so I looked in the trunk, and again, nothing there. Totally ticked that I got sold a car with no engine, but if that means I don’t have to put gas in it, I’ll call it even. But the guy who did the PPI is gonna hear from me on this one.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #51
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcMo View Post
This is supposed to be a fast car. It took an hour to be driven out to pick up the car, yet it took about two and a half hours to get back home. No idea what happened in the intervening time...
That is actually one of the most common problems with these cars. You'll find that what was a 10 minute drive to the store in your minivan could now take over an hour in one of these slow Boxsters.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:53 AM   #52

Frank N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:30 AM   #53

The car looks great and I like that color interior! Congratulations, I'm sure you're glad you bought it now. Maybe on your drive home you had a head wind.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:35 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
That is actually one of the most common problems with these cars. You'll find that what was a 10 minute drive to the store in your minivan could now take over an hour in one of these slow Boxsters.
I find the opposite, what was a three hour drive before suddenly turns into a 2 hour drive.

Strange.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:48 AM   #55

Garage
shopping strategy

Have to go grocery shopping. First, I'll go get all the dairy items, and make sure I don't miss anything and have to make a second trip, and then bring it home and put it all in the fridge. Then, I'll go get the meat, bring it home, put it in the fridge, and so on. I'm all about efficiency.