Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

third radiator hose question

Ok, so I've read the pedro's diy page and the pelican DIY page, but i'm still not clear how it works.

heres what I think I know:

The hard lines running from the engine to the radiators on the S are larger.

You need to convert the Boxster S rubber hoses to neck down to fit the base model hard lines.

But what I don't understand is this:

These are the hoses that go from the hard lines to the side radiators (main tube) and the center radiator (small offshoot line):

These look nothing like the hoses in the pelican picture:

So am I modifying the first two pictures I showed or are there other hoses I have to buy and modify?

Are the radiators the same from base to S?

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by Quadcammer; 04-11-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Each radiator has two hoses, one in and one out. When you install the new hoses with the extra smaller hose for the center radiator you have to make sure you install them in the correct direction. Each side gets one new hose. You should be able to figure this part from the different DIY instructions available online.

The issue with adding the center radiator to a Base model is that the coolant system hoses are smaller than the S.

Some background:
The radiator connects to a rubber hose (the same ones you swap to add the center radiator), which connects to a metal pipe that runs through the wheel well, that connects to another rubber hose, then goes farther back into the cooling system.

The radiator connection is the same size for the base and S, however the other end of that hose is a different size between the S and the Base. So you need to modify the system somewhere.

Option 1: Find a welder to enlarge the metal hose on one end (this is what I did)
Option 2: Modify one of the rubber hoses, like the Pelican article describes
-The issue here is that with the T-fitting for the center radiator, there is not enough room to splice two hose sizes together on the front hose. So the Pelican article replaces the metal tube with the larger S one, and modifies the rubber hose behind that to be compatible with the rest of the base coolant system. The Pelican article does not explain this clearly at all, and requires purchasing two S pipes, and the two rear rubber hoses.

Best of luck!

This thread may help:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/58129-center-radiator-retrofit-base-s-hoses-thoughts-best-solution.html

Last edited by rick3000; 04-11-2017 at 02:40 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Another option? Sell your base and buy an S. I'm not trying to be snarky, but is your current cooling system so taxed that it needs another radiator? Are you drastically overheating?
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #4

Rick, thanks for the clarification. The Pelican article is sorely lacking in details on that part of the installation.

Do you think just inserting a t fitting into the stock hoses and running heater hose from the tee to the center radiator would work? seems like it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Another option? Sell your base and buy an S. I'm not trying to be snarky, but is your current cooling system so taxed that it needs another radiator? Are you drastically overheating?
Interesting advice, but this is a common mod for tracked cars. I was running 215 degree coolant temps at shenendoah but it was also only 70 degrees. I'd prefer not to overheat the car when its 95 degrees at watkins glen in July.

Overkill, maybe, but you never caused any harm by keep coolant temps closer to 200 than 230.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:33 AM   #5
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

Interesting advice, but this is a common mod for tracked cars. .
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize you were tracking the car.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Personally, I chose to have the metal pipes modified, however it doesn't look like the shop that offered that service is still around. You should be able to add a Tee to the existing hose for the center radiator, it would certainly be the easiest and cheapest solution, however you would be introducing a potential weak spot. Someone in the thread I linked to mentioned they did it this way and it worked, but they did not like how it turned out.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Personally, I chose to have the metal pipes modified, however it doesn't look like the shop that offered that service is still around. You should be able to add a Tee to the existing hose for the center radiator, it would certainly be the easiest and cheapest solution, however you would be introducing a potential weak spot. Someone in the thread I linked to mentioned they did it this way and it worked, but they did not like how it turned out.
thanks rick. Its certainly not ideal. I should be able to have a set of tubes modified I guess. Do you happen to know the hose sizes for each application?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I do not have any measurements. The place I used machines a new end for the hard pipe and TIG welded it on, however I don't see why you couldn't get a used set of S pipes from eBay, chop the end off and weld it to the Base hard pipes.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #9

I have come up with another idea that hopefully is a modification of what pedro did.

I'm going to insert this sum********************:

Into the factory hose, and run standard heater hose to the center radiator.

Seems to be the cheapest easiest solution.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:54 PM   #10

Garage
I added S center radiator to my 99 base. The company that does the mod is precision chassis works in Gilbert, AZ. I got base hard lines from Woody "ITSNOTANOVA" and sent those to be welded so I minimized down time. Once I got those back the install was fairly easy. I got the center radiator from Woody and bought some used hoses from ebay.

Last edited by mikesz; 07-19-2017 at 02:37 AM.
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:49 AM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Is Precision Chassis still offering the pipe modification service? I thought they had stopped. If they will do it, that is the best solution for addition a center radiator!
Old 07-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #12

I dont believe precision chassis does this.

I ended up going the pedro route with some copper fittings i sweated together.

Leak and issue free, street and track
Old 07-20-2017, 03:20 AM   #13

Garage
They did mine Sept 2015. I had to send them my hard pipes to modify. They used to do it on an exchange basis. If interested call them and find out.

PRECISION CHASSIS WORKS LLC
720 N. Golden Key St. Ste B1
Gilbert, AZ 85233
(602)697-0956
precisionchassis@gmail.com
http://precisionchassisworks.com
Old 07-20-2017, 03:37 AM   #14

Closed it seems?

Old 07-20-2017, 04:14 AM   #15

Yeah he closed down almost a year ago. I think I heard he burned out from working on vehicles and cut ties with everyone. He even closed personal social media accounts down so people couldn't find him there. He really just wanted to be left alone. As far as I know he didn't screw anyone over. Sold everything and now has a desk job. It's a real shame as he was probably one of the best builder's in the country. I have a friend who had two cars built by him and they were pieces of art. Amazing attention to detail!
If you can find the larger tunnel tubes out of a 2000-04 S, 2003-04 tiptronic or 1999-04 996. I'd suggest installing them. Lots of my race customers are installing them when they have the chance. I have a back order on them and third radiators.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:21 AM   #16

Garage
Unfortunately this is a common story. If you are a small business owner with high ethical standards and a "I trust you until you screw me" attitude, you will eventually run into customers who take advantage of you and make you miserable. I tried that approach and basically gave the money back to any customer who claimed to have a problem. I then ran into a couple who I knew had no problem but still complained. Finally decided it wasn't worth the aggravation.

I know of several others who went through exactly the same experience.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:43 AM   #17

I did this a different way, the new S hose ID is just smaller than that old hose OD. So I cut 2" off the old hose and inserted into the new hose (soapy water helps). I then put the stacked section over the metal tubing and clamped it. No leaks so far!

2001 986 S (parting)
2015 981 (sold)
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote