Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #1

Source for OEM wheels

Forgive me for my poor search skills, but I am looking for a link that was posted last fall for a reasonably priced source for OEM wheels. Thanks in advance for your help.
John

JohnRedS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #2

Here in the classifieds section is probably one of the best places to find OEM Boxster wheels for sale, I have got a couple of sets that way. Also you can check with Woody of Woody's Parts LLC (forum name itsnotanova) - I bought a set from him a while back as well. Check his thread for the latest cars he is parting out:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/52469-parting-out-whole-lot-boxsters.html

A lot of the 17" wheels he gets go to racers, but he often has 18"s, and probably also 17"s from time to time that don't go to racers.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

EBay...Craigslist...Google search for Porsche OEM Wheels (there are many co. That do refurbished wheels)....Rennlist.com......all places to start.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #4

reasonable? cl or ebay
Frank N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedS View Post
Forgive me for my poor search skills, but I am looking for a link that was posted last fall for a reasonably priced source for OEM wheels. Thanks in advance for your help.
John
Which OEM wheels are you looking for, I have a set of 17 inch twists that came on my Boxster that I will be selling soon and I am an hour away from you. They are on the car till I get it out of storage and put my new wheels on.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #6

When I was shopping for my 18 inch Carrera Light wheels I set up a Craigslist Boolmark for them. It took several months but a set popped up and I grabbed them.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #7

While we are talking wheels

Mine are pretty dismal, it looks like the previous owner used some very strong cleaner and it did a number on my calipers and wheels. I have been giving thought to having my wheels powdercoated as close to the factory silver as can be accomplished....this or a good sanding and paint.

Anyone done powdercoating to match the factory color ?

Or would it be cheaper to find a set of 18 inch used in really good condition ??
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Mine are pretty dismal, it looks like the previous owner used some very strong cleaner and it did a number on my calipers and wheels. I have been giving thought to having my wheels powdercoated as close to the factory silver as can be accomplished....this or a good sanding and paint.

Or would it be cheaper to find a set of 18 inch used in really good condition ??
You could do what I did, wait till the wife is out of town for one weekend and paint them and bake the finish on in the home oven. LOL

bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:29 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
When I was shopping for my 18 inch Carrera Light wheels I set up a Craigslist Boolmark for them. It took several months but a set popped up and I grabbed them.
I did the same but included eBay in my search. Patience is the key in finding a good set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post

When you find a used set, make sure they are true. The best way is on a wheel balencer. I had one eBay seller spin them up and send me the video. To his surprise, one wheel was way out of true. Another set from a reputable eBay seller sent me what looked like a great set, but when I took them to Discount Tire, two of the four were bad. The seller paid for return shipping. This is just a reminder that you want to be careful, and patient. It took me about eight months before I found an excellent set for way below market value.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote