Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #21

Getting ready to put an '03 top on my '97. Top, Bows, Motor, Transmissions. Any good links as to the process?

JP Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:57 PM   #22

It’s time for a new top. One of the installers I talked to told me that Robbins makes a very good one. While going through their website, I came across this:

“CAUTION: Porsche has issued Service Bulletin Group 6-61 28 55, describing problems with the cable sleeve channel hanging up when the top is raised or lowered, that can cause side cables to tear away form the top. The bulletin further describes new parts that need to be installed and repairs that need to be made to the frame to correct this problem. Robbins cannot be held responsible for side cables tearing out of our 3161 and 3162 tops as a result of this.”

I searched for this bulletin, but came up with nada. Does anyone know anything about this? One of the cables in the current top did snap off, so I would like to find the “Upgraded parts” if possible. Also one of the pushrods snapped on the end that bolts into the frame (not the side with the cup) I am concerned that these two issues are related to having the “old” parts.
I have an 02 Boxster Base. Neither GAHH or Auto Tops Direct mention anything about this.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Summers View Post
Getting ready to put an '03 top on my '97. Top, Bows, Motor, Transmissions. Any good links as to the process?
Very easy mechanical installation...3 bolts and a screw on each side, lift entire assembly up (and slightly rearward) and out. IIRC, microswitches may be different in the '03 top setup. Been a long time since I did tops on Boxsters.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 03:34 PM   #24

Follow up: The '03 top went into the '97 Chassis perfectly. Yes, it's got an extra bow. I don't see any aesthetic difference. It's also got the glass window w/ defrost. Took about 4 hours to swap out working slowly. The lion's share of the time was rewiring the relay panel and new microswitch pigtail. There were some sheet metal issues where the tansmissions mount so that needed repaired & reinforced. Actually removing the old top and installing the new one took @ 30 minutes. It's only 3 bolts on each side. It's easier to replace the whole unit than just the fabric. All in, less than $600 for the whole thing.
JP Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:03 PM   #25

Lucky you JP, sounds like a great deal on a satisfying project

986tate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster 986 , soft top