Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #1

Boxster base mystery problem

Hi so i have 1999 2.5 boxster convertible and the top is stuck in closed position with light on, and on top of that the engine wont start so i cant even get to the motor, ive tryed to put a nee cps cord in it , that didnt work , code reader says oxygen sensor , and evaporation system fail, it cranks but wont turn over , tachmeter doesnt move. Dont wanna take it to the shop because idk how much its gonna be and its gonna cost 100$ just to get it towed there.🙏🏻

Sweezy804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:00 AM   #2

You can operate the top manually. If you have the owner's manual it explains the simple procedure but basically you pop off a couple arms and you can put it up yourself, it is so easy I never bothered to fix my top motor after that because it literally takes 10 seconds so I just use the top manually.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:39 AM   #3
Project Addicted

No tach movement usually points to the CPS (crank pos sensor). You don't need to get under the hood to replace this or test it. It's kinda behind the right rear wheel, in a crack between the engine and the trans. It's held in by 1 Allen bolt and has a 12" lead and a plug on the end.

Look for the bosch part number because there are less exp options out there than the Porsche part and they are exactly the same.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:40 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Note: Before responding, check the original post. It seems he is reposting for new and fresh solutions.

Sweezy, getting the top open is not hard if you follow the directions that you can easily find by searching. Here's one from outside the forum, with pictures. My convertible roof is stuck and not working, can I close/open it manually? ...or as bwdz said, it's in the owners manual.
For getting the car running, you may need someone else locally to get a look (associate or local enthusiast willing to volunteer an hour or two). If you have been at it this long and still haven't figured out how to open the top, you are not ready to fix a non-running engine. You can easily make things worse and more expensive to fix.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
No tach movement usually points to the CPS (crank pos sensor). You don't need to get under the hood to replace this or test it. It's kinda behind the right rear wheel, in a crack between the engine and the trans. It's held in by 1 Allen bolt and has a 12" lead and a plug on the end.

Look for the bosch part number because there are less exp options out there than the Porsche part and they are exactly the same.
Ive already replaced it that didnt work

Sweezy804 is offline   Reply With Quote