Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #1

Jim's Big Adventure, got my dream car back!

Jim’s Big Adventure

Back in 2008, I got the itch for a Porsche. I went to Houston and drove a couple of 911’s, then a salesperson suggested I drive a Cayman. I resisted, but he handed me the keys and I drove off for a test drive. I was AMAZED! It felt perfect! Like it was built just for me. Halfway through the test drive I told the salesperson, “Finalize the deal, this is THE car!”
This particular car was equipped like no other I had seen. Most of the new Porsches I had seen were loaded up with options, almost bloated. Tons of stuff that I thought had no purpose in a “sports car”. This particular Cayman was lightly optioned, just the necessities, but with one exception. It was a Sport Chrono car. It was, and is, the only Cayman 2.7 I had ever seen with this option. Sport Chrono is a program that changes the fuel map for quicker acceleration and higher engine redline. It also includes a really cool, if somewhat useless, retro-looking clock timer on the dash for lap times, splits, etc. It is an expensive option, and rarely seen on this car.
The Cayman 2.7 was the lightest Porsche offered that year, with a stiff coupe body structure. The wheel/tire combination, along with the smaller (but still amazingly strong) brakes, combine to make the lightest unsprung weight available. My car, with minimal options was even lighter, weighing in around 2800 lbs. To my eyes, this Cayman’s purity is a direct throwback to the “Giant Killer” race cars of the 50’s & 60’s. The shape is reminiscent of the beautiful Porsche 550 Coupe and the 904.
It was an amazing ownership experience, and I kept the car for four years. Then, in a weak moment, I accepted an offer on it and sold. I immediately regretted it, but used the money to buy a new cab tractor for the farm. Life went on, and on occasion I would surf the ‘net looking for this car. Not looking to buy it back, but just mostly curious about where it landed. Still, I missed it.

Then one Wednesday evening, we got some real bad news on a good friend. My friend Marvin had passed after a terrible bout with cancer. It was like a gut-punch. Marvin and I were the same age. It was one of those “Look in the mirror” moments to see your own mortality staring back at you. The following morning, I sat at my computer with a cup of coffee reading the touching messages from Marvin’s many friends on Facebook. With tears in my eyes, I finally forced myself to stop reading them. Needed a distraction, bad! So I did something I never had done before… I went to eBay, and searched for “2007 Cayman”.
Through my swollen eyes, I saw that the first car that popped up looked a lot like mine. Arctic Silver, standard wheels. I zoomed in on the dash, there was the Sport Chrono clock! My heart started pounding! I went to the provided Carfax link. There it was, my address! It was MY CAR!
I went back through the ad, reading the details. Miles very low, all records, unmolested car. It was like a dream. Janet woke up and came in to see what I was hollering and jumping around the room for. She knew better than anyone what that car had meant to me. She did what she always does, she said, “Go for it!”
I contacted the owner, and after a lengthy conversation about condition and service history, I bought the car. Now to figure out how to get it home! The owner warned me about an impending snow storm they were expecting to come through on Saturday. I bought an airline ticket for early the next morning, and it was on! The owner picked me up in the car at the airport, and we took it back to his house for the inspection. The car was amazing! The fellow that I had sold it to in early 2013 was an amazing steward of this car! It was spotless and unmolested, looking just like it did the day it left my property!
Time to bring her home! Checked tire pressures, and I hit the road out of Murfreesboro around 11:00. The car felt like an old friend, it even smelled the same as I remembered. With my trusty Google maps (turns out not so trusty) on my phone, I chose my best and fastest route home. A quick stop for fuel and a Subway, and off I went! Making good time, or so I thought, the navigation on my phone re-routed me to another road. When I attempted to correct the error, I lost cell service and Google Maps no longer functioned. I was lost in the hills of Tennessee!
When I finally found a convenience store, and inquired about a paper road map or directions, I was met with blank stares. Seemed the only southbound road any of them knew was the Natchez Trace Parkway. The Natchez Trace Parkway is a two-lane national park road that stretches 444 miles into Mississippi, and has a 50mph speed limit! It was not my first choice!
When I finally realized that no one was going to be able to direct me onto any highway in the area, the Trace seemed my only option to get to Mississippi. Off I went! It was a beautiful drive with stretches of 50 or more miles where I did not see another vehicle. There are no filling stations, or stores along the route, but I had a full tank and a half-eaten sandwich! Nothing wrong here!
In hindsight, I am glad I took the Trace. It was an amazing experience, and a great bonding time with my old dream car. Crossed from Tennessee, into Alabama, then Mississippi. Weather was perfect, cool and sunny. I drove most of the Trace with the windows down and the radio off, just soaking in the beauty.
I got off the Natchez Trace at Eupora, picked up 55 heading south to Jackson and turned up the dial a bit! Made good time to Lousiana, and crossed the Texas state line at about midnight. Finally pulled into the driveway around 1:30, thoroughly exhausted but none the worse for wear. The Cayman was the perfect partner for a 13+ hour drive, with wonderfully comfortable and supportive seats. And averaged around 30mpg.

bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #2

Garage
That was a great story! Glad you got your car back...really cool!
Insuranceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #3

Garage
Congratulations Jim, good story & great writing makes it all the better.

I once drove my 2000 Box 24 hrs straight with only 1 hr break.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Master Brewer

Garage
Sweet car, want to sell it?? hahahahah Good for you!
2004 Ford F-150 4X4 Crew
6 Fast Bicycles
Bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #5

Garage
Perfect! Enjoy the new relationship.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

What a fantastic story! Sometimes, things are just meant to be.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #7

Congrats, awesome story! I rode the Trace on motorcycle with my parents and some of our friends back in the 90s. We continued on to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive. What a great ride.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
What a great story. Hope you have many more years of enjoyment out of her!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #9

Garage
You only live once, congratulations on getting your old friend back
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #10
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Wow, Jim. Great story (although sorry about your friend). Don't ever let it go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #11

Thanks for sharing your story. Nice read and enjoy the croc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
walt2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #12

Thanks for sharing your story! Well written, and a happy ending! And she's a beauty!

Wishing you many happy miles!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #13

Outstanding! That's better than getting your first love back. She changed. Your car didn't.
You have a real love story here!
Old 03-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #14

What a cool story. Thanks for sharing.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #15
I am No. 1348

Garage
I love hearing and reading heartfelt stories of experiences with their cars. By far Porsches rank #1 in my book for stirring the soul.

Such a beautiful car. They say you don't get second changes, but I guess you really DO!

Thanks for sharing
Old 03-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #16

Great story. When I was a kid my father had an 85 guards red 911 Carrera. I loved that car. Sadly he sold it years ago before the market went crazy for 80's air cooled Porsches and before I could buy it from him. I had the Porsche bug early and someday I knew I would own one. Finally I bought my first, a 2001 986 S in arctic silver with the 6 spd and 58k miles. I am 36 years old and when I bought the car I brought my father with me. When we got home from our 2 hour drive towing it back I immediately let him drive it. It brought back memories of my childhood even though it wasn't the air cooled 911 it was a great feeling. These cars have a soul and I love my Porsche. Thanks for the cool story.
marcoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #17
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Safe travels sir.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #18

Garage
Marvin led you back to your future
Old 03-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #19

What a great story! I'm in process of building a similar memory.

I bought an 02 Boxster S seven years ago from a dealership south of Seattle. The car was a low-miles blue/grey in excellent condition. I loved it and drove it gently for two years with complete satisfaction. We bonded, and it was the best car experience I'd ever had. Then life took a hard left turn and I had no choice but to sell it.

Worst decision of my life. I immediately regretted selling it, and kicked myself for not finding another solution to the life issues. Life straightened out, and I've been trying to get back to owning a Boxster since, but never quite found the right car. The last fruitless search was just about three weeks ago.

I think Life has a way of rewarding us sometimes: The good friend of mine at the dealership who bought the car from me texted me a picture of a blue/grey S a week ago, with two words: "Guess what?" I flipped out, and texted back, "Mine?" He said, "Yes. And yes, it's on my lot." I couldn't get there fast enough!

Long story short, the car was in as great condition as when I sold it, maybe even better. The couple who bought it took great care of it, and only put 6K miles on it. A deal was struck, paperwork signed, and I drove my baby home yesterday. It's been pouring rain here, so I haven't even had a chance to drive it yet, but I've gone to the garage a dozen times to make sure it's really sitting there.

It is. And I can't wipe this huge smile off my face.

Dave

Last edited by DaveNW; 03-19-2017 at 11:30 AM.
DaveNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNW View Post
What a great story! I'm in process of building a similar memory.

I bought an 02 Boxster S seven years ago from a dealership south of Seattle. The car was a low-miles blue/grey in excellent condition. I loved it and drove it gently for two years with complete satisfaction. We bonded, and it was the best car experience I'd ever had. Then life took a hard left turn and I had no choice but to sell it.

Worst decision of my life. I immediately regretted selling it, and kicked myself for not finding another solution to the life issues. Life straightened out, and I've been trying to get back to owning a Boxster since, but never quite found the right car. The last fruitless search was just about three weeks ago.

I think Life has a way of rewarding us sometimes: The good friend of mine at the dealership who bought the car from me texted me a picture of a blue/grey S a week ago, with two words: "Guess what?" I flipped out, and texted back, "Mine?" He said, "Yes. And yes, it's on my lot." I couldn't get there fast enough!

Long story short, the car was as in as great condition as when I sold it, maybe even better. The couple who bought it took great care of it, and only put 6K miles on it. A deal was struck, paperwork signed, and I drove my baby home yesterday. It's been pouring rain here, so I haven't even had a chance to drive it yet, but I've gone to the garage a dozen times to make sure it's really sitting there.

It is. And I can't wipe this huge smile off my face.

Dave

Great first post, and a even a picture! Great looking wheels and paint

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote