Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2006, 12:19 PM   #1

Boxster makes yet another top 10 list:

From about.com

Top 10 cars that are both fun and fuel efficient

#7 baby!

Here's the link:
http://cars.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/ag_topfunfrugal.htm

Here's the cut-n-paste

Who says fun can't be frugal? There are plenty of sporty cars -- not to mention out-and-out sports cars -- that deliver lots of grins while using little gas. For this list, we looked up the EPA fuel economy numbers for a bunch of our favorite cars on www.fueleconomy.gov, using the average of the city and highway figures to narrow down our list. Here's what we came up with.

1) Acura RSX Type S -- 27 MPG
Honda, Acura's parent, knows more about squeezing more power from less fuel than any other automaker. The Acura RSX Type S is the latest in a line of small, lightweight cars with innovative engines. With just 210 horsepower - less than most V6-powered family cars - the RSX Type S rockets to 60 in about 6.7 seconds. And all that power comes from a tiny 2.0 liter engine. For comparison, the Accord's 2.4 liter engine produces 166 horsepower. The RSX requires premium fuel… but its worth it!

2) Audi A3 -- 28 MPG
Three letters: FSI. They stand for fuel stratified injection, the technology at the heart of the A3's 2.0-liter engine. FSI injects gasoline directly into the cylinders rather than mixing it in the intake system like most engines, resulting in lower emissions, better economy, and oh-so-much power! The A3's engine is turbocharged, too; the two technologies work together to produce six-cylinder power with four-cylinder fuel economy (though on premium fuel). You have to drive it to believe it!

3) Mazda 3 -- 31.5 MPG
Mazda's newest models feature a level of driver enjoyment missing from most Japanese cars. Even at the low end -- it's the basic two-liter Mazda 3i that gets the best mileage, though the sporty 3S isn't far behind at 29 MPG -- the Mazda 3 is an absolute joy to drive on twisty roads, and it has plenty of power for an economy car. Mazda says "Zoom zoom"l; we say that's truth in advertising.

4) Mazda MX-5 Miata -- 27 MPG
The Miata was the two-seat convertible that ushered in the roadster craze. Sixteen years and three redesigns later, the love affair is still going strong. In its latest iteration, the MX-5 Miata carries its biggest engine ever -- but can you really call a two-liter engine big? The Miata requires premium fuel, but it's efficient enough that it's still cheaper to fuel than most other roadsters.

5) Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI -- 32 MPG
So what's Mercedes' stately sedan doing on this list? You can thank Dr. Diesel and his wonderful engine. Not only is the 6-cylinder turbodiesel E320 frugal -- it's 32 MPG figure bests the tiny Mazda 3 by over 10% -- but it provides locomotive-like torque (369 lb-ft; Chrysler's all-conquering 5.7 Hemi V8 puts out 390) that launches the Merc like a muscle car. Acceleration is good!

6) MINI Cooper -- 32 MPG
Here's proof that fun and frugality are linked. The original Mini of 1959 was designed to be economical; that it was a blast to drive was a happy coincidence. The new MINI was designed for smiles; that it is exceptionally fuel-efficient is, once again, a happy coincidence. Only one fly in the ointment: The MINI requires premium fuel. Honorable mention goes to the MINI Cooper convertible; it’s rated at 31.5 MPG.

7) Porsche Boxster -- 24.5 MPG
Who ever thought a Porsche would show up on a list of fuel-efficient cars? The Boxster is a serious sports car; its mid-engine layout gives it a balance that few, if any, front- or rear-engine cars can match, and with 240 horsepower on tap, it's not lacking for acceleration. Light weight and efficient aerodynamics are key elements to the Boxster's success. That it boasts better EPA numbers than a V6-powered Camry is icing on the cake.

8) Saab 9-3 -- 26.5 MPG
The 9-3 seems to have everything going for it -- it's roomy, fun to drive, safe as a fallout shelter and as frugal on fuel as many compacts. Like the Audi A3 2.0, the Saab 9-3's engine is turbocharged, and like the A3 it produced V6-like power from a four-cylinder engine. It's got the road manners and handling prowess that have given European sport sedans their fine reputation. Anyone know the Swedish words for "frugal" and "fun"?

9) Scion xA -- 34.5 MPG
Colin Chapman, legendary founder of Lotus cars, used to say "Add lightness." Small cars are inherently light, and light cars are inherently fun. The wee Scion xA is bursting with cheeky character and it's hard to resist tossing it around the corners. If that's not enough for you, Scion offers a line of springs, shocks and other bits that will turn the xA into a serious handler -- and at virtually no cost to fuel economy.

10) Volkswagen Golf TDI (manual transmission) -- 40.5 MPG
Volkswagen puts an emphasis on the fun-to-drive factor of their cars, and the Golf TDI is no exception. The key is the TDI's turbodiesel engine. It's efficient -- the five-speed TDI is the most frugal of our group -- plus the engine packs a mid-range punch that's guaranteed to generate a grin. All this, plus fuel economy that rivals the hybrids. Go team TDI!

Old 06-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #2

Hi,

Yea, those are EPA numbers which are about to take a 30% drop for the '08 models because of redefining the testing to better resemble real world conditions, now if these were CAFE numbers, you'd be talking.

I get a steady 19.6 MPG in city driving and have gotten as high as 31 on extended freeway drives, but usually in the 26-28MPG. I don't consider that to be extremely good for a <3Ltr. two-seater. But I never bought it with a thought to fuel efficiency anyway and I doubt many people did...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:47 AM   #3

Smile

Interestingly, I get better gas mileage in my C5 corvette than I do in any Box I am driving.

Both are not bad by the way. The C5 will get 29 MPG on steady 75 MPH driving.

The box gets about 26 in the same type of driving.

Now, my Buell gets 50-55 in all kinds of driving!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Interestingly, I get better gas mileage in my C5 corvette than I do in any Box I am driving.

Both are not bad by the way. The C5 will get 29 MPG on steady 75 MPH driving.

The box gets about 26 in the same type of driving.

Now, my Buell gets 50-55 in all kinds of driving!
Argh, 29 mpg?!

I've got a C3... 1974... 350, 4spd, ... lucky if I see 19 mpg

I need a 6spd!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #5

Smile

"Argh, 29 mpg?!

I've got a C3... 1974... 350, 4spd, ... lucky if I see 19 mpg

I need a 6spd"

Well, I had a 77 automatic, a real dog with fleas when it came to MPG.

The C5 and C6 are a whole nother world!

However, the 74 looks sweet!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote