Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
2007 Cayman S

4 Stalk Question

Hi guys - I have a base 02 Boxster that did not come with intermittent wipers nor cruise control. I'd really enjoy them both! There is a forum member who is currently selling a 4 stalk and it got me wondering if by merely installing a 4 stalk, would I be able to add cruise and int wipers to my car? I am guessing there is a lot more to it then just adding the 4 stalk and I was hoping that you guys could enlighten me please. I am a weak DIY guy, but, if its not too hard, maybe I could give it a try?? Your thoughts please.

Thanks for your time.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #2

David:

Ok, to see what's required, check out this pelican parts article (it's also available in the 101 Boxster projects book):

Porsche Boxster Cruise Control Installation - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

With a 4-stalk, you can also add OBC (on-board computer):

Forum member pdwight had some excellent harnesses for the OBC upgrade, he might also have pre-made harnesses for the cruise upgrade.

Not sure what else you would need for the intermittent wipers... (others will probably chime in)...
Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Adding the 4-stalk wouldn't add the variable intermittent wipers. That can be done by changing the wiper relay and connecting it to the rheostat (that would sit in the round cutout opposite the cigarette lighter).

As for cruise, I believe that connecting the stalk and having the cluster coded to enable it would do what you want (I'm not well-versed on adding this).

You also can add the OBC with the 4-stalk and have it enabled at the same time as cruise.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #4

Read the Pelican articles....the different years have different ECU/Cluster coding/wiring requirements. Durametric can code the OBC but cannot code the cruise (unless you have the pro version)
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Go on eBay and get the 4 stalk column. I got mine in perfect condition for $199.99 shipped and bought pdwight wiring harnesses. I think his price is too much personally. I'd give him $225 max.

As Deserion said, this will not add intermittent variable wiper timing, that is controlled from a dashboard knob. You will need to use a Durametric to turn on the OBC features or take it to a dealer to turn them on.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
2007 Cayman S

4 Stalk

Thanks everyone. Your comments have certainly pointed me in right direction. Now I understand this much better. I also found some previous threads that I did not find in my first search. You guys are the best!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #7

You might want to try this for the wipers, easy and cheap...

Adding variable intermittent wipers on an early box, the easy way

oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote