Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
We ended up trading it in on a Toyota Avalon, it was for our daughter and she just wouldn't drive it... She has probably put 5,000 miles on the Avalon already, and I don't think she put even 1,000 on that Miata It was automatic or I would have kept it for myself Even with automatic it was a blast to drive, I took it to a new parking lot that had been recently repaved and it was sooo easy to slide around!

Edit: If you ever need to get a family cruiser, be sure to ask your insurance agent for a quote a head of time, that Avalon, even though it is a 2007, was twice as much to insure as the other main family car, a 2007 Toyota FJ, which is worth much more than the Avalon. My theory is that a lot of very elderly people like the Avalon and so maybe they crash it a lot?
When I originally purchased the Miata I had it in mind for my youngest son for a Daily Driver. After a few trips in it involving Highway Driving I soon decided that having a teenage driver in it as a DD was a big mistake. The Miata was well bellow the sight line of any mid to large SUV, heck, I almost run into it in my driveway with my GMC Pickup. Great cars but IMO fun cars only.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #22
Pathological Tinkerer

Steve, no need to measure as I called Fister and they told me it is 1 1/4" 16 gauge tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Carfahrer View Post
Steve, no need to measure as I called Fister and they told me it is 1 1/4" 16 gauge tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's cool, I had forgotten to check
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:59 AM   #24

I got a PM from someone asking me about this, but the system wouldn't let me reply, so I am posting an update here:

==========================

I wholeheartedly still recommend it. It is probably my favorite mod that I've done to the car. It sounds so much better, and absolutely zero drone. When you crank it up at idle, sounds soooo good. And when you are driving With the windows up, it is relatively mild, unless you are on throttle. But with the windows down or the top down, it is a treat

Mine is the mid pipe cat deletes plus the Fister exhaust. I am not sure how it would sound with just the exhaust and no mid pipes, I am guessing the same overall but just a little milder. When I first put on the mid pipes with the stock exhaust, it was a small but definite increase in sound.

It was expensive, I went with the ceramic coating too. But years later it still looks great.

I also got it done on my 987.2 Cayman and didn't do the ceramic. They painted it in a nice silver but the look isn't holding up like the ceramic. The exhausts are different and the effect on the 987.2 exhaust is pretty mild compared with the 986.

If you can find a used Porsche Sport exhaust it is about the same thing, but those are often pricy as well.

If you get one I bet you will like it

Quote:
so I don’t want anything crazy loud or drony, but I like a great sound.
That exactly describes the Fister mod in my opinion
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I got a PM from someone asking me about this, but the system wouldn't let me reply, so I am posting an update here:

==========================

I wholeheartedly still recommend it. It is probably my favorite mod that I've done to the car. It sounds so much better, and absolutely zero drone. When you crank it up at idle, sounds soooo good. And when you are driving With the windows up, it is relatively mild, unless you are on throttle. But with the windows down or the top down, it is a treat

Mine is the mid pipe cat deletes plus the Fister exhaust. I am not sure how it would sound with just the exhaust and no mid pipes, I am guessing the same overall but just a little milder. When I first put on the mid pipes with the stock exhaust, it was a small but definite increase in sound.

It was expensive, I went with the ceramic coating too. But years later it still looks great.

I also got it done on my 987.2 Cayman and didn't do the ceramic. They painted it in a nice silver but the look isn't holding up like the ceramic. The exhausts are different and the effect on the 987.2 exhaust is pretty mild compared with the 986.

If you can find a used Porsche Sport exhaust it is about the same thing, but those are often pricy as well.

If you get one I bet you will like it

That exactly describes the Fister mod in my opinion

Steve,

The guy that sent you the PM is a new guy that i was also talking to about the Fister mod. I have his email and will forward him your write up. I also recommended him the same setup

Cheers,

Cristian
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
Steve,

The guy that sent you the PM is a new guy that i was also talking to about the Fister mod. I have his email and will forward him your write up. I also recommended him the same setup

Cheers,

Cristian
Yeah it’s me not sure why messages isn’t working. I live in PA And am getting the car from Florida soon so it’ll be garaged for a month or two till winters over so I wanted to get a leg up on maintenance(only driven less than 1k miles in the past like 5 years) and time for mods like the exhaust that I’d have to send out

Escott1622 is offline   Reply With Quote