Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #61

My guess is your amplifier is not getting the 12Vdc signal to turn on. Look at your amp in the trunk and look for power on two leads, the main power lead and the lead that turns the amp on.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #62

My amp isn't getting power among a few other issues. I went through the pin outs and diagrams. I'm pretty sure that I have the wrong harness. The simple harness can't possibly work with my sound system. If I look at the current wiring and the Continental and Becker diagrams I see the problem:
  • My current wiring does not use the B block (apparently this is unused in HiFi option/Nokia cars)
  • My current wiring uses the C block pins to send the signals to the amp; the Continental diagram doesn't show that the C block pins are used for anything other than the C4 and C6 pins for SWRC.
  • The only output to the amp on the Continental is the B block which explains why I have no sound because it is not being used
  • I therefore need a harness that goes from the Continental B block to the existing harness C1 block. Do I also need a line-out converter (LOC)?
  • Also, there is no ground pin in the Continental head B block. Does my amp need that?
  • Reference https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/896189-installing-the-continental-tr7412ub-or-radio-6.html

If the above is correct then the other/M490 harness should work. This is what it is supposed to do:

Swap of Terminal 86s and 30 pins (switched and permanent 12V)
Wire for connection to Nokia/Bose amplifier power on circuit
Line Output Converter (LOC) for connection to existing amplifier

Looking at the picture it looks it is exactly what I need. It also means that not having option code M490 does not necessarily mean that the simple harness will work.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E

Last edited by 356Guy; 06-04-2017 at 05:39 PM.
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #63

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Guy View Post
My amp isn't getting power among a few other issues. I went through the pin outs and diagrams. I'm pretty sure that I have the wrong harness. The simple harness can't possibly work with my sound system. If I look at the current wiring and the Continental and Becker diagrams I see the problem:
  • My current wiring does not use the B block (apparently this is unused in HiFi option/Nokia cars)
  • My current wiring uses the C block pins to send the signals to the amp; the Continental diagram doesn't show that the C block pins are used for anything other than the C4 and C6 pins for SWRC.
  • The only output to the amp on the Continental is the B block which explains why I have no sound because it is not being used
  • I therefore need a harness that goes from the Continental B block to the existing harness C1 block. Do I also need a line-out converter (LOC)?
  • Also, there is no ground pin in the Continental head B block. Does my amp need that?
  • Reference https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/896189-installing-the-continental-tr7412ub-or-radio-6.html

If the above is correct then the other/M490 harness should work. This is what it is supposed to do:

Swap of Terminal 86s and 30 pins (switched and permanent 12V)
Wire for connection to Nokia/Bose amplifier power on circuit
Line Output Converter (LOC) for connection to existing amplifier

Looking at the picture it looks it is exactly what I need. It also means that not having option code M490 does not necessarily mean that the simple harness will work.

What stereo option do you have? Which amp does your car have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #64

No option code but a front mounted amp (nokia I think) and Cd changer. Its an ROW car.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #65

Garage
Quote:
No option code but a front mounted amp (nokia I think) and Cd changer. Its an ROW car.

When you disconnected the the harness from your old stereo, did it have the yellow square plug? If so, you probably need that second harness I posted yesterday.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
When you disconnected the the harness from your old stereo, did it have the yellow square plug? If so, you probably need that second harness I posted yesterday.

Yep. That is the C1 plug
Old 06-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
But turned out it was wrong as my car has the Nokia amp, so I needed this on instead:

With the first one I had power but no sound as well.
I had the same problem: Power and function but no sound. I needed to hook the power antenna lead from the stereo to the amp lead in the car. Once I did that it worked with no problems. When I was done, my connectors looked like that, with the one wire jumping from one block to the other. That's the power antenna/amp power lead. You need to run that in order to tell the amp to energize when the radio is turned on.
Shawn Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #68

Quote:
The M490 harness did the trick. Forget about which option code you have. If you have door speakers you have hifi and need the M490 harness.

Last edited by 356Guy; 06-13-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #69

Garage
Quote:
The M490 harness did the trick. Forgot about which option code you have. If you have door speakers you have hifi and need the M490 harness.

Glad to hear it's working now...

Old 06-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #70

--Quote (Originally by 356Guy)---
"No option code but a front mounted amp (nokia I think) and Cd changer. Its an ROW car.
---End Quote---
The M490 harness did the trick. Forgot about which option code you have. If you have door speakers you have hifi and need the M490 harness. "

Thank you 356Guy.

In all honesty, have not specifically checked the door speakers, just the overall sound has been great. BUT, at your instigation will check the door speakers to make sure they are working. Thanks for the help.

Forgive the ignorance, but what does "ROW car" mean??
Davimack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimack View Post

Forgive the ignorance, but what does "ROW car" mean??
rest of world.....not a North American destined car
Old 06-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #72

Row

Thanks very much for the definition. I live in Vancouver BC Canada. My car was a US car imported into Canada....legally! So not an ROW car. Incidentally, I did, just to be sure, check my door speakers, and both are working well, again, thanks to Crutchfields great tech support.
Davimack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #73

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Just doing some digging maybe someone can tell me if this would work to go from the fiber optic to the conti head unit

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RCA-audio-adapter-kit-fit-Benz-Porsche-fiber-optic-power-amplifier-to-aftermarket-Car-DVD-GPS/32708723316.html?aff_platform=aaf&cpt=1497418779067&sk=VnYZvQVf&aff_trace_key=50a3d72bef5f49be9489603ab0ccb13c-1497418779067-01012-VnYZvQVf

Last edited by Fintro11; 06-13-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:00 AM   #74
I am No. 1348

Garage
From the phtotos, the Fibre connector on the Longate unit looks different from the connector on my 2004 MOST system. I have 4 bundles of wires coming out of my CDR23, an 8 pin Black Molex, and 6 pin Yellow Molex, a two pin Fibre cable with Orange wires, and the Antenna.

At $129, it might be worth trying. I didn't see the 2003-2004 listed as compatible. Maybe give the tech support at the vendor a call?
Old 12-30-2018, 01:05 AM   #75
Shacky

I read somewhere that the USB on this Conti does not charge or work with iPhone that it’s only meant for flash drive.

Can you tell me if that’s true?

I do love the look of this unit!!!
shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #76

I seem to remember the continental owners manual states that the USB connector is for flash drive use only. This is a nice unit but be prepared to wait on delivery. The supplier receives a limited supply monthly and I was put on a waiting list and received the radio some two months later. Ultimately worth the wait since it matches the Boxster interior so well...although I ended up installing it in my 1990 Nissan truck. Surprisingly, it also matches the truck interior.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #77
I did a single DIN in my '97 (dead head unit). Bought a $60 Kenwood as it had orange illumination, BT, and iPod controls through USB. I used a floating to common ground converter to utilize the factory amp and door subs. Had a few of the adapters mentioned here. Easy install. Good luck!
Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #78

I installed the Continental CDD7416UB-OR unit in my 2001 Boxster. I used the M490 harness described above. It works great so far and I really like its appearance in the cabin.

The only problem, though, is that when I lock the car using the remote, the horn honks once, indicating that something isn't right (like the glove box is ajar, trunk not latched, etc.). I did notice that the instruction guide talked about a blue/brown wire that had to be isolated. I see a wire like this in the bundle, but assumed that it would have been handled by the harness. Has any one else experienced this issue?

Edit: Solution posted here: Continental TR7412UB-OR Stereo Installation and Review

Last edited by cc986; 07-08-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added link to solution
cc986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 02:42 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford View Post
I had the same problem: Power and function but no sound. I needed to hook the power antenna lead from the stereo to the amp lead in the car. Once I did that it worked with no problems. When I was done, my connectors looked like that, with the one wire jumping from one block to the other. That's the power antenna/amp power lead. You need to run that in order to tell the amp to energize when the radio is turned on.
'97 986 M490 w/ Nokia Amp. Installing a Continental CD7416UB-OR. Here's the spaghetti mess I've got. P.O. installed an alpine system and gutted 75% of the original harness. Only the lower terminal was left. Unfortunately, The Factory Wire Colors don't seem to be matching up with the Schematics. I'm not sure which wire go to what for the Continental Output harness. There's also nowhere to plug in a Bergville Harness, so I have to do this the hard way. The Factory Wire I'm having trouble finding a home for is the Black/Red one and a factory Light Gray wire from terminal A. The other White Wire activates the Amp. I'm left puzzled.

Corresponding wire color arrangements would help a lot. I hate when people cut up harnesses.

JP Summers is offline   Reply With Quote