Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #1

Could the 2006 Boxster S be the best 987

I may be biased having this car but after reading many articles on power, reliability,
performance ect from Hartech,it would seem that the 2006s with the 3.2 Liter engine is holding up better.The newer 3.4 in the Boxster/Caymen in 2007 thru 2009 are showing signs of Bore scoring.Apparently as per Hartech the 3.4 and up motors are pushing the limits of this design with heat and cooling plus other reasons like the piston coating that Porsche was applying up to and including 2006 was scraped in favour of a cheaper less durable and more environmentally friendly coating that with the extra heat created with bigger pistons/cylinders in the same case but with smaller (more restrictive) cooling ports (same case just less meat on it) the Locasil cylinders coating isn't holding up.
Also worth noting is the 2006 had the newer version of the IMS which seems to be holding up very well as this car is now 11 years old and its lots out there I have yet to read about any failures.The 2005 still had the older design and was susceptible to IMS failure and therefore part of the Porsche lawsuit.I believe that down the road the 2006 Boxster s with the newer design body and interior with the 3.2 ,special coated pistons ,Larger IMS bearing etc will be looked at as one of the better years to own for reliability,performance and price.I think that Porsche had extracted the maximum HP or performance out of 3.2 while retaining the slim margin of reliability.Its a fine line between cost/performance and reliability and I believe (Based on Hartech article) that Porsche pushed the envelope with the 3.4 and up just past the safe limits with all the small changes over the years to keep increasing HP and torque .The older Boxster never showed problems with Bore scoring but they were smaller engines putting out less hp and torque.Keep squeezing something to the max without spending more money on testing for long term reliability and eventually somethings gotta give, the weak link will surface. I am sure there are cars that will not have issues and some that will that shouldn't but this is my long term vision on when looking back what may be be regarded to as the year to get.Ok let me have it!

moresquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #2

I've been reading the Hartech articles and the one thing that they repeatedly indicate is that problems do exist with these motors but they are still exceedingly rare. The articles are also at this point are a few years old so it would be interesting to hear from Hartech on recent findings about these motors and the newer 9A1 motors. I would say that if you maintain the car to high standards and install a low temp thermostat the risks are really low and based on that you should buy the newest best condition Boxster you can afford not really worry too much about it.

What is interesting is the cost to rebuild these motor seems to be more reasonable than what you would pay for a rebuild in the US especially when you see what Hartech has invested in equipment and knowledge.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:43 PM   #3

2000 S. Maybe I a bit bias. Porsche didn't just throw the S badge around. What yr was the previous S. Certainly wasn't just a label. As stated, there was a lot of differences. To take an already great car and make it better, what a feat. I loved that they didn't really make the appearance much different. I read that they wanted it subtle enough that only Porsche enthusiasts would know the difference when they drove by.

Yeah, cars get better over time, but there is only one 1st. Just my opinion.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #4

Oops, my bad. 1997 there was a 993 S.
Oh, and you said 987. Oops again.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #5

Seriously? Using your logic, then the 2009 and up are the best. No IMS at all, add in PDK and no scoring issues....

But that too is silly. Your whole argument is silly. These cars rock, no matter the year. Every car has issues, but the return in smiles with these are more than worth it.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #6

2002 EZGo! No IMS, doesn't leak anything, infinite torque. Oh yeah, even has Bluetooth, low profile tires andcool rims!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Could the 2006 Boxster S be the best 987
I may be biased having this car but after reading many articles on power, reliability, ...
1) I think that a boosted K24 Civic hatch is Teh Best 987.
2) I think this thread is off topic for us lowly 986 guys.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #8

If i decide to go newer I might skip over the 987.1.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #9

Sorry,should have said may be the best 987.1 .Probably the wrong forum for this post.
Ps: I luv the 986 actually, almost got one but preferred the interior of the 987.
If I had to pick with $$ not in equation then the 987.2 would be my pick.
Hey ,don't beat me up, its just a personal opinion based on info of the forums I read.
moresquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
2002 EZGo! No IMS, doesn't leak anything, infinite torque. Oh yeah, even has Bluetooth, low profile tires andcool rims!
No doubt you are patrolling the Villages! LOL! No better Golf Cart!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
1) I think that a boosted K24 Civic hatch is Teh Best 987.
2) I think this thread is off topic for us lowly 986 guys.
I have to disagree, my b5s4 was the best 987

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote