Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 03:55 AM   #41
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03S View Post
Here is my Jic-Magic exhaust that doesn't drone. What did happen is a couple exhaust hangers broke off, but it has been on for about 4 years. Just had it welded and it's ready to go back on. Not sure why it doesn't drone but I think it's either the pipe length or the muffler construction. The temporary exhaust is the lesser expensive ebay ones and it has that 2800 to 3000 drone. It's not awful but it's there. The Jic-Magic sounds so much better than the temp ebay muffler, and can't wait to get it back on.

Funny how some people say there's no drone on this exhaust while others say it's worse drone than the GHL:

Exhaust again..

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by That986 View Post
If you want to cut the drone down you need chambered silencers in your system.
In my opinion the best bang for the buck is the CRIOS mod on the stock muffler, and secondary cat bypass. No drone whatsoever, just a sweet, throaty howl. Also feels like I've gained a few ponies as well.

Bill
wgirardot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirardot View Post
In my opinion the best bang for the buck is the CRIOS mod on the stock muffler, and secondary cat bypass. No drone whatsoever, just a sweet, throaty howl. Also feels like I've gained a few ponies as well.

Bill
Depends on your budget. Mine now runs a stainless decat system with a 5"x12" straight through and an 8"x14" chambered silencer per side. Perfectly acceptable while cruising and a banshee when needed.

It also depends on what you would call acceptable. I like to hear my car whereas some people want them whisper quiet, when mine is at idle it has a nice burble to it which some people would find too loud.

Last edited by That986; 03-01-2017 at 07:25 AM.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Depends on your budget. Mine now runs a stainless decat system with a 5"x12" straight through and an 8"x14" chambered silencer per side. Perfectly acceptable while cruising and a banshee when needed.

It also depends on what you would call acceptable. I like to hear my car whereas some people want them whisper quiet, when mine is at idle it has a nice burble to it which some people would find too loud.
Love to see some photos of that setup.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #45

PO had just installed a Borla prior to my purchase (cats still installed and I have the org muffler in hand). The Borla does drone with the top up between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm but I love it. The 986 is a play car for us but I would still live with it on a daily basis if I had to.

YMMV, my wife and I have a high tolerance for the sounds a car can make. Awesome at all revs with the top down.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 03-03-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Love to see some photos of that setup.
The original version with straight through silencers.......

And the revised version with chambered silencers. The exhaust is one piece, the marks you can see on the rear are where it gets hot in the chambers.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:32 AM   #47

Nice, thank you. I take it they are 2" the whole length. What are the lengths of the expansion and reflection mufflers? Do you have a decibel reading at warm idle?
Old 03-02-2017, 02:35 AM   #48

Quote:
Nice, thank you. I take it they are 2" the whole length. What are the lengths of the expansion and reflection mufflers? Do you have a decibel reading at warm idle?
Same size as stock whatever that is. The round mufflers and 12" and the oval are 14". As for decibel reading at idle i've not a clue tbh.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Same size as stock whatever that is. The round mufflers and 12" and the oval are 14". As for decibel reading at idle i've not a clue tbh.
Thanks again
Old 03-02-2017, 03:11 AM   #50

Quote:
Thanks again
No problem. I'll see if i can download a decibel metre and measure what it is.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #51

Quote:
Thanks again
So I downloaded a decibel meter and gave it a whirl on the way home.

When idle 89db, when cruising 82db, hard acceleration 105db.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:01 AM   #52

Quote:
So I downloaded a decibel meter and gave it a whirl on the way home.

When idle 89db, when cruising 82db, hard acceleration 105db.
Thank you. Gives me something to think about. That may be too much for my neighbourhood.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:56 AM   #53

Quote:
Thank you. Gives me something to think about. That may be too much for my neighbourhood.
Tbh it depends a lot on what rev range you use mostly. If you're a trundle bunny below 3k rpms kind of guy then this isn't for you as the bass tones can get boomy at times. Above that though it's a sweet sonata.

At a steady 80mph cruise you can quite happily have a normal conversation with the roof up for instance.

But if you're looking at aftermarket exhausts then be prepared from them to get louder. if that's not for you then stay stock.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #54

Actually after some consideration and looking at this for perspective ...

it doesn't sound like it would be too loud at all.

Edit. Going to lay under the car now to measure some stuff...
Old 03-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #55

I am responding about my new beluga installed today. I really love it. When you turn the key, the motor just comes alive. It like a deeper grunt than the stock provided. If there is drone, it happens around 2800 -3000 rpm. It doesn't sound bad just a slightly different tone. Overall the engine just sounds meaner. I really think one had to nit pick to find fault with this muffler. Also, It was louder than stock but not so loud that local PD are going to pull you over. The weight difference is quite noticeable as well when holding. I haven't heard the others but I can't imagine I would be any happier spending over 1k. Mission accomplished.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Actually after some consideration and looking at this for perspective ...

it doesn't sound like it would be too loud at all.

Edit. Going to lay under the car now to measure some stuff...
So reading that mine is on the mild side then.

Just reading that there is no way that a stock exhaust is that loud, those things make no noise at all even when pushed.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:25 AM   #57

Garage
I have the exhaust in the pic in second post. I solved drone problem by replacing the 4 factory speakers with aftermarket, replacing stock CDR 220 with a DD Chinese HU, replacing the amp with a 6 channel amp from a 993 cabrio and adding 6 speakers to the rear deck shelf. At 100mph with the top down "I can't drive 55" sounds sweet!