Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Best glue/adhesive for centercap emblems.......

Over the last several years I have lost 3 of the Porsche crest/emblems off my centercaps of the wheels. Before I go out and blow money on another one I want to make sure I use the best glue/adhesive so I don't lose anymore. Anyone have any suggestions or comments ?...........Thanks in advance

nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
Over the last several years I have lost 3 of the Porsche crest/emblems off my centercaps of the wheels. Before I go out and blow money on another one I want to make sure I use the best glue/adhesive so I don't lose anymore. Anyone have any suggestions or comments ?...........Thanks in advance
Just a thought but are you sure they were 'lost' or did someone steal them? Gluing them in may not prevent theft.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #3

get your tires balanced just kidding. I would think theft as well.

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
So you mean the centercaps were lost, or the Porsche crest within the centercaps? If the latter, they are prob the fake ones you get on fleabay, as those do come off. I've never seen a crest fall off the OEM centercap. Maybe just use some super glue on the crests that fall off the fleabay ones?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #5

I refinished some old OEM caps where the crest was falling off, and I used body emblem adhesive to hold them on, and so far they haven't fallen back off again.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03601-Plastic-Emblem-Adhesive/dp/B000CCM3J2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486763909&sr=8-1&keywords=body+emblem+adhesive

If you use this, be very careful not to let stringy tails come off after you squeeze it out, it sticks everywhere... I'm also using it to hold a hook onto my shower wall for my shaving mirror after it kept falling off with various double sided tape attempts.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

The crests, or emblems have fallen of the centercaps.............These are Porsche OEM emblems, not after market stuff. You cant just buy the emblem, so you have to buy a whole centercap at 54 bucks to use the emblem. You can only buy these centercaps in silver and my wheels/centercaps are black so I take the emblem off the silver cap with a hairdryer and reglue it on my black cap........I don't think they are getting stolen because the car is garaged and I always check the wheels when I get in/out of the car. One time the emblem fell off right into my hand when I was washing the wheels.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #7

Boxtaboy

I've had 2 of the crests come off of my original OEM centercaps. Genuine Porsche. Had the left front one come off during a slow speed right turn following some spirited driving - I was able to retrieve that one because I heard it pinging on the ground (as I shouted "Was that my gorram buffer panel?"). (sorry, Captain Mal Firefly reference)...

I have no idea where I lost the left front one. After that one disappeared I pulled and re-glued all the crests and haven't lost one since (3 years). I used regular old Weldwood contact cement. I thought about using epoxy, but I decided to go with something that had some flex to it.

I used a dab of leftover Loctite 5900 on the centercap tabs to keep them from making noise. They loosen up with age, and rattle. "Not anymore."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
So you mean the centercaps were lost, or the Porsche crest within the centercaps? If the latter, they are prob the fake ones you get on fleabay, as those do come off. I've never seen a crest fall off the OEM centercap. Maybe just use some super glue on the crests that fall off the fleabay ones?
Old 02-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
Boxtaboy

I've had 2 of the crests come off of my original OEM centercaps. Genuine Porsche. Had the left front one come off during a slow speed right turn following some spirited driving - I was able to retrieve that one because I heard it pinging on the ground (as I shouted "Was that my gorram buffer panel?"). (sorry, Captain Mal Firefly reference)...

I have no idea where I lost the left front one. After that one disappeared I pulled and re-glued all the crests and haven't lost one since (3 years). I used regular old Weldwood contact cement. I thought about using epoxy, but I decided to go with something that had some flex to it.

I used a dab of leftover Loctite 5900 on the centercap tabs to keep them from making noise. They loosen up with age, and rattle. "Not anymore."
Wow, ok...hmmm, I've never had a crest fall off a centercap. What are you guys using to clean your cars? I have had a set of cheap fleabay ones on my winter wheels, and on those, I saw the crests loosen up....

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #9

Sorry I don't know what the adhesive is exactly, but I can add that I've had one fall off after I washed the car and it froze the following night. The next day, I may have been buffing out some sealant on the wheel after, and the crest fell right off when a I touched it. It was definitely on there securely before it froze, but not after.

My theory is that some water from washing the car had remained behind the crest, and when it froze, it expanded and pushed away the crest far enough that it separated the adhesive.

The factory adhesive is thick (maybe 1/16"-1/8" thick squiggly-shaped bead), gummy-like adhesive that I think apparently lost its flexibility due to old age. Thickness and flexibility is good here to make the flexible center cap easier to remove. (It aids removal and reinstalation to have it not be so stiff.). Super glue would be a bad idea. I would think epoxy would work OK, at least it would be thick and strong, but something more flexible like maybe some silicone or polyurethane sealant-type adhesive may be best. Maybe something like Polyurethane window-weld.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:55 AM   #10

can you buy just the crests?
all i can fine on ebay are caps.

my caps are fine, but some genius painted over the crests before i bought the car.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:48 AM   #11
Master Brewer

Garage
Anyone know where just the crests can be sourced? I've got two sets of caps, one needs refurbished. Thanks in advance...
2004 Ford F-150 4X4 Crew
6 Fast Bicycles
Bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #12

Garage
Shoe Goo is the way to go. Sticky and flexible.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #13

Cool

Thanks for the replies......You cant just buy the emblem, you have to buy the whole centercap. I used Loctite glue gel to glue on the new emblem. Seems to be good stuff with no drips or mess when applying it
Old 02-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
While not genuine, aliexpress has some nice looking cap crests for about $3 each.
I love mine and Porsche doesn't sell them, anyway. Especially not in silver/black.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:08 AM   #15

$3 each jeez what a rip-off. Cheap PE composites... we get a box with a 100 in it for $20 here LOLL

They actually give them away for free at the local wheel market... just need to ask and say good things about their store to your friends
Old 02-12-2017, 03:26 AM   #16

do you have a link to your seller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
While not genuine, aliexpress has some nice looking cap crests for about $3 each.
I love mine and Porsche doesn't sell them, anyway. Especially not in silver/black.

madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #17
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Shoe Goo is the way to go. Sticky and flexible.
A friend told me about Shoe Goo sold at Wally World. I used it on a pair of shoes that the Shoe Shop said could not be fixed. Wrong, Shoe Goo did the repair and I am still wearing after 2 years of seeing the Shoe Shop. This stuff is the best, and it don't take much to do a job where adhesive is needed.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32638379589.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32638379589&productSubject=Wheel-Center-Cap-Sticker-Porschc-Boxster-Caymam-Cayenn-911-Shiny-Silver-Plated-3D-Car-Logo-Emblem&spm=2114.40010308.4.109.JusF0C
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #19
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I was planning to refinish mine, but they have sat in a box for a year now. Offering them for sale, 2 sets:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/65388-oem-center-caps-metal-crest.html#post526791