Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 06:58 AM   #1

Garage
Battery drain, clicking noise

I posted this question yesterday but it never showed up. Trying again:

I've searched extensively and can't find anything on this. My 2003 S is draining the battery quickly when off with key out and locked or unlocked (<12V in a day or two). I hooked up my Amp meter and found that the rapid drain stops when I remove fuse C3. I think the cause of the drain may be related to a clicking sound coming from directly in front of the trunk. The noise happens exactly once every 60 seconds and stops when I remove the C3 fuse. Can anyone identify the noise? Below is a video of it. The sound is at about 15 seconds.

https://youtu.be/rwl3OCCaBoE

I've replaced the battery and verified that charging system is OK. If someone can identify the sound that will at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any ideas!

opus104132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
Administrator

Hello! Welcome to the forum. New posters typically have their posts go into moderation for it to be reviewed and approved (that's why it didn't show up right away). Anyways, someone should pop in and be able to assist you. If you need any other help in the future be sure to check out our 986 articles here: Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts. Good luck!
Luccia at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #3

"The clicking comes from the front of the trunk"
You mean FRunk " ??
If so it seems the solenoid that activates the latch release is freaking out.Why?
Did you hit something, fiddle with it,has it become loose,is there some debris there,loose connection?
Don't start playing with it until you read the how to's on opening the Frunk w/o the release button operating.
Make sure you can easily reach the emergency release & follow the mods to re-route it.
When you have the manual release figured out, you can temporarily disconnect the wiring to the latch until you solve the problem. That way you won't get stranded with a discharged battery &/or an un-openable Frunk ! And you can replace C3.
If you think a flat battery is a problem, try it with a locked Frunk also !
Tangential comment - you can slow charge the battery through the cigarette lighter socket with a Cteck Mus 4.3 or similar - Search here and use Bentley for details.Good Luck and let us know....
Same general idea if it is the rear trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus104132 View Post
I posted this question yesterday but it never showed up. Trying again:

I've searched extensively and can't find anything on this. My 2003 S is draining the battery quickly when off with key out and locked or unlocked (<12V in a day or two). I hooked up my Amp meter and found that the rapid drain stops when I remove fuse C3. I think the cause of the drain may be related to a clicking sound coming from directly in front of the trunk. The noise happens exactly once every 60 seconds and stops when I remove the C3 fuse. Can anyone identify the noise? Below is a video of it. The sound is at about 15 seconds.

https://youtu.be/rwl3OCCaBoE

I've replaced the battery and verified that charging system is OK. If someone can identify the sound that will at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any ideas!
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #4

Garage
Sorry for the confusion. The sound is coming from the forward wall of the rear trunk between the engine compartment and the trunk. I don't think it's the latch release based on where the sound is coming from but C3 is partly responsible for the central locking system among other things so who knows...

It happens both when the trunk is closed and latched and when it's open. I now have my battery tender hooked up to keep the current battery from draining.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The clicking is most likely a relay in the rear trunk relay center. Find out which one it is and report back for a better diagnosis.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #6

Maybe but the relays are not in the center.They are in the relay tray which is under the top of the drivers side fender,inside the rear trunk.

OP you are going to have to sharpen the location/diagnostics if you want meaningful help

Try opening the trunk lid and closing the latch with a screwdriver. Where is the clicking coming from? Use a hose to listen to each relay and the trunk latch solenoid.It may be coming from the Engine Bay?

Last edited by Gelbster; 02-07-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #7

Garage
OK - I reinserted the fuse and of course now the sound isn't happening any more. I found the relays and will check there the next time it starts happening again. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll update when I can better locate the sound.

Image: https://goo.gl/photos/h1rkpFXmhDcAXUjw9

Last edited by opus104132; 02-11-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #8

Garage
OK - the clicking started again today. I found the relay tray mentioned above and found the relay that's making the noise (don't know why I thought it was coming from the middle of the car before). I swapped it with an identical relay next to it to see if the relay was bad but it kept making the clicking sound exactly once per minute. It's the third relay in from the back of the car. It's the relay on outside. Here's a picture of it removed.

Thanks for any suggestions on where to look next.