Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #1

Cooling system flush help

I did water pump job and am flushing the system. First off I didn't get anywhere near 5 gallons which could be because I had a leak. Anyway, I filled system with distilled water and it only took about 3 1/2 gallons. I let car run until front radiator fans went on and shut the car down. Drained it the next day and only got about 4 gallons, maybe less. I did raise the front of the car. Any water that did come out was on the clear side. I also had the heater on high. Did I do this correctly? I was going to fill up with coolant/distilled water mixture but am wondering if I did it right or should use distilled water to flush it again correctly. I am sort of pressed for time so need to know quickly what I should do.

Thanks so much.

jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #2

The correct way to refill one of these systems is under vacuum to prevent getting an air pocket, which you apparently have.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The correct way to refill one of these systems is under vacuum to prevent getting an air pocket, which you apparently have.
Thanks. What makes you think I have an air pocket?

Is there anyplace localni can get one of those airlift tools?

Last edited by jeeper31; 01-27-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #4

Jeeper,
Did you remove the rubber hoses going to the front rads, or did you just drain from the drain plug in the manifold?. Just draining from the manifold bolt won't get all the coolant out.....

When filling manually, it will take quite a while with the engine @ operating temps and the pressure relief valve open for at least 3-4 COMPLETE heat cycles before all the air is expelled.

As JFP says, a vacuum evacuation is much quicker and more thorough than doing it manually.....
Old 01-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Jeeper,
Did you remove the rubber hoses going to the front rads, or did you just drain from the drain plug in the manifold?. Just draining from the manifold bolt won't get all the coolant out.....

When filling manually, it will take quite a while with the engine @ operating temps and the pressure relief valve open for at least 3-4 COMPLETE heat cycles before all the air is expelled.

As JFP says, a vacuum evacuation is much quicker and more thorough than doing it manually.....
I removed three hoses. The one going to the water pump and the 2 larger ones on each side of the block.

When I filled with distilled water I let it run intill the fans came in and then shut it off. Did I not run it long enough for the thermostat to open. If I am draining it from those three hoses won't i get rid of all the coolant?

Should I reflush with distilled water or just add coolant mixture?

I do not have vacuum tool.

Thanks.

Last edited by jeeper31; 01-27-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper31 View Post
Thanks. What makes you think I have an air pocket?

Is there anyplace localni can get one of those airlift tools?
Amazon is about the cheapest, local tool outlets are going mark it up significantly.

Simple: When you go to refill, the system seems full before all the coolant is in; either you didn't get everything out, or there is an air pocket stopping the process. A very common problem on these cars.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Amazon is about the cheapest, local tool outlets are going mark it up significantly.
Cool. Unfortunately I need the car for this weekend
Old 01-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:

Simple: When you go to refill, the system seems full before all the coolant is in; either you didn't get everything out, or there is an air pocket stopping the process. A very common problem on these cars.
Did I do everything correctly to get the fluid out?

And btw thanks for your patience/help.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #9

I think basically I need to know did I flush the system enough? Should I flush again or can I just add the coolant mixture?
Old 01-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Did I do everything correctly to get the fluid out?

And btw thanks for your patience/help.
Realistically, you can only get about 85% or so of the coolant out in a gravity drain. Getting more out requires substantial effort for minimal results.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:30 PM   #11

Quote:
I think basically I need to know did I flush the system enough? Should I flush again or can I just add the coolant mixture?
If you are using Porsche coolant, you should be fine. If it is some other coolant, you should fill and dump the system with clear water three times first.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #12

Quote:
If you are using Porsche coolant, you should be fine. If it is some other coolant, you should fill and dump the system with clear water three times first.
Great. Thanks. Porsche coolant it is.