Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #1

Sticking clutch pedal

HELP. I have an annoying problem. If I depress my clutch pedal for too long, it sticks and forces me to pull it back with my toe. Does not happen during normal shifting, primarily when going into reverse. When I approach a stop light, I shift into neutral so I don't have to leave the clutch in. All new clutch and associated components. Bleeding the system did not change anything. Any thoughts?

Old 01-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

this used to annoyingly happen on my Honda S2000, the fix was getting grease inside the transmission on the fork that goes on the throw out bearing. i dont know about this issue on the Boxster but i heard it's highly recommended that you grease that in any new clutch install.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #3

I don't want to jinx you but it could be a sign of a failing slave (or master) cylinder..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Slave cylinder is super easy to replace.
Not sure that's your issue, but it may be. The throw out bearing and fork are pushed back by the pressure plate fingers and those things have A LOT of spring force.

I'd start at the pedal, then slave, then a flush. If that doesn't do it, it may require pulling the transmission to inspect the pressure plate and throw out bits.

Last edited by particlewave; 01-20-2017 at 11:47 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #5

Let's be specific ? Did they 'open' the hydraulic system at all ?
If the answer is Yes ,then let's do the simplest and most obvious things first?
1.Is the slave cylinder installed correctly. If you Search you'll find some people have had difficulty re-installing it into the bellhousing. That may have prompted your mechanic to disconnect the hydraulic line to force it in ?
2. Bleed the system using a power bleeder. You may have to do this many times. Ramps + a Motive bleeder or better still on a rack. I had to do mine maybe 5 times to get all the air out after a long engine rebuild.It seemed like a waste because after the first few sessions I saw very few bubbles. Perseverance and manic attention to perfection in bleeding details eventually triumphed.
Good luck !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

While replacing the clutch with a new throwout bearing you have to lubricate the bearing/shaft and lever. I hope they used a new throw out bearing and lithium grease which should be replaced at every clutch change to eliminate sticking like you are experiencing.

It sounds like either that was not done or was not installed back properly, assuming that its NOT the Hydraulics.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:01 AM   #7

Thanks all. Slave cylinder was replaced at the same time the clutch and all associated components were replaced. I have a new master cylinder on standby just in case. I will start with the easiest this weekend by doing another bleed with my Motive bleeder.
Hopefully the weather will hold up, expecting a cold snap, all the way down into the 50's. Might have to put this off until it warms up again. Those brutal Florida winters...