Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 06:46 AM   #1

Windshield Hell

A rock bounced off my windshield over a month ago and put a nice little crack in it. So I called my local Porsche dealer and asked them for a recommended glass service, which they provided. Since then, this has been my experience:

Windshield #1 - took a week to get the windshield in, then we set up an appointment and the glass guy came to my house for the install. After arrival he realized Porsche had sent him the wrong one. Note: took a day off work for this.

Windshield #2 - a new one was ordered and came in a week later. Glass guy went to pick it up at the Porsche dealer and it was broken.

Windshield #3 - another week later a new one came in and we setup another appointment. He just came out last Friday, took the existing windshield off and realized it was the wrong one again. So now the car is sitting in my garage with no windshield.

Windshield #4 - expected to arrive today and install this afternoon, I'll let you know how that goes.

Didn't think it was this hard to replace some glass, a month has passed since I initiated the call to get a new one.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

What's their price on the windshield? Does it have the integrated antenna?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:09 AM   #3

It does have the antenna, it is the stock Porsche windshield. I'm not sure on the cost, it is covered by insurance so I never asked.

Sounds like part of the problem in ordering the wrong one is that there is a difference b/w the windshield based on if you have the rain sensing wipers or not.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
1JB

Wow, sorry for your run of bad luck. At least your insurance company is replacing the windshield. Some seem to require that you first have the crack repaired by drilling a hole and using epoxy. Not a very satisfying solution I've found. Apparently the rain sensor is attached to the windshield and needs to be on the replacement. That was the reason I elected not to go with the rain sensor which according to my dealer may make it more problematic to have a replacement on hand. With my luck though they'd have plenty with the sensor and none without. In any event take it out for a spin when you get the new windshield and all will be right with the world again.
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #5

OMG how many Porsche people does it take to screw in a light bulb?

You must be a very patient man. You should have seen me at the Verizon store after replacing the same phone for the second time during my one year contract.
They were trying to give me the same one and have me without a phone for 2 days. "Sorry we have to give you the same phone, come back in two days"
I screamed bloody murder until they gave me some crap phone.

I've got a crack in my windshield too. I can't see it while driving because its behind the rear view and the its an internal crack, the glass is still smooth on the inside and outside. I have to see if my insurance will pick this up. My out of pocket deductible is a ridiculous $1000.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:58 AM   #6

Wow, what a pain in the a** !! I'd be absolutely livid at the screwups!! I also have a small divot on the inside of my windshield, smooth on the outside tho....located about an inch from the hood, center. Hasn't gotten any bigger, not too concerned about it....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
1JB

Perfectlap - Check with your insurer. It may depend on the state in which you live or your insurance policy I'm not sure which but your deductible may not apply where windshield repair is concerned. I know this was the case with my policy when I was living in Texas. The repair/replacement was covered regardless of my deductible.
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #8

Hi,

I can name that tune in no notes! A few years back, a truck threw up a stone and struck the windshield on my Lotus Esprit. The windshield is a structural member on these cars and before I got home the chip had turned into a crack spanning the entire windshield.

I called the local Lotus Dealer and they recommended a Glass Shop. Speaking with them, they assured me that they were experienced and so I brought the car in. Insurance was paying and they quoted me $2300 ($2100 for the glass from the UK) and $200 for installation. They gave me a timeframe of 4 days after the windshield arrived.

2 weeks later, after not hearing a thing from them, I called them and they said they broke the 1st windshield on installation and were having another shipped from the UK. Another 2 weeks passed and I phoned them and they said that the 2nd windshield arrived broken and that they had ordered a 3rd. Another 2 weeks, and they said that due to the UPS strike, the windshield was delayed. 2 weeks later, they called and said that since 9/11, the shipment was held up in Customs, but that it should be released in 2 weeks.

2 weeks later, they called and said the Car would be finished tomorrow because they were having some trouble replacing the Brightwork aluminum surround. I had a conflicting appointment so we arranged that the car would be left outside the building at 5pm, I was to arrive at 6pm with my spare key.

When I arrived, the car was sitting in the lot, filthy, covered with leaves and the Brightwork was all twisted and there were visible gaps in the windshield, clumsily filled with silicone. A guy came out of an adjacent building and asked if it was my car. I confirmed this and he told me the car had been sitting out there for weeks with plastic sheeting covering the windshield opening. I literally started shaking thinking of what they had been doing.

The next day, I called my attorney who called them and said that if they didn't have the car properly repaired within 72 hours, we were going to sue. He then called the Dealer and told them that since they recommended the place, they would be sued as a third party. The Glass shop owner called me and asked why I was so upset! I told him he was lucky that he only spoke to my attorney because he remained much more objective than I would have. The owner said that he had a total of $6000 in the job already. I said "TOO BAD!" I had had the insurance Co. pay me the check and I was witholding payment until the job was done right. He further went on to say that the Brightwork surround was no longer available from Lotus (which I confirmed). I told him that there was a custom metal fabricator in Mpls. who could duplicate the pieces for $425. He nearly fell over, but I restated what my attorney had said that 72 Hrs. was all the more time we were giving him.

72 Hrs. later, he called to say the Car was finished. I went back out to his shop, and the job had finally been done correctly, with new excellent custom made brightwork, only 8+ weeks later than promised. I told him that for all the abuse and delay that I would only write him a check for $2100, if that wasn't good enough, he could counter-sue me. He accepted it. A month later, the guy closed his shop... Boo Hoo.... :ah:

So, as is almost always the case, your situation could have been worse. BTW, here in MN, Glass is a non-deductable claim if it impairs the Driver's Vision, at least it was when I had my Esprit mishap - too bad for you out-of-staters

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #9

Wow now that is a windshield story MN....wifey got a rock in the windshield on her new E320 wagon....with the rain sensing wipers.....mega bucks but MB ordered it picked up the car fixed it in hours and drove it back to our home....you just gotta love that kind of service!

stock as a rock
ford40 is offline   Reply With Quote