Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #1

IMS How to on YouTube ?

So, I've watched all the videos from a fella on YouTube that actually does a great job on IMS replacement. I'm sure many of you have as well. But, he's neglected to mention exactly what Ceramic bearing he ended up using. He did post just about everything else. Does anyone know? I've even posted it as a question as several others have done as well and I dont think he's responded. My clutch is on its last leg and I'm gathering all parts. His YouTube handle is Burners Cars.

Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah, he says at the end that he sourced a third party bearing (not LNE), but not where he got it from. He answered my questions, so maybe try again?
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #3

He also has a blog, which shows the price of the bearing but not the part number.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #4

No word on how long the single experiment with a generic bearing lasted !
There are deep groove ball bearing substitutes on fleabay for $5. But....
There was a lengthy post elsewhere that reported using a substitute from Boca Bearings an online supplier. To their credit, they advised against using their (ceramic) bearing. The short version is that the Forum member who fitted had the bearing fail - after he sold the car to another Forum member. Messy !
If anyone is looking for Installation Instructions, the best are on the LN Site - 17 pages ! There are some 10 minute videos from others .Guess which version of the Instructions works best ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6204-2NSE9-NACHI-bearing-6204-2NSE-seals-6204-2RS-bearings-6204-RS-Japan-/131652309781?hash=item1ea716d315:g:TQAAAOSwZVhWR3c x
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKF-5204-E-C3-ROW-BALL-BEARINGS-/181115041098?hash=item2a2b4c354a:g:ODYAAOxyThVTZ-6t
Hybrid ceramic:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6204-2RS-Hybrid-Ceramic-Si3N4-Bearing-20x47x14-Nylon-Premium-ABEC-5-/360461702926?hash=item53ed31170e:m:m62eWxfRYijrHOB RGsMToMw

Last edited by Gelbster; 01-09-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

I watched the burner videos and found them very entertaining and informative. As for the IMS bearing for me, I am going with a well known product.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallean View Post
I watched the burner videos and found them very entertaining and informative. As for the IMS bearing for me, I am going with a well known product.
Yup, they are entertainment.
The trick is not the bearing -an SKF C3 bearing is an SKF C3 bearing. Finding a specific grade and quality of bearing is easy- just Google or visit your local Bearing Supply House.
The issue is all the rest of the story.

Last edited by Gelbster; 01-09-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

Gelbster, Thanks for posting. I'll most likely go with the Ceramic/Hybrid you posted and punch out the center bolt and reuse it. It seems when you source your own bearing without going with the known pricey kits no one wants to sell you the center bolt alone. I like his method of using a pilot bushing puller and just using a magnet for extracting center bolt out of the IMS shaft tube.

Well, Now I might have to rethink this. It seems VXB bearing is the distributor for Boca Bearings, the third one listed of failure. So many bearings out there. Oh boy! Still thanks,

Last edited by Lapister; 01-10-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
Gelbster, Thanks for posting. I'll most likely go with the Ceramic/Hybrid you posted and punch out the center bolt and reuse it. It seems when you source your own bearing without going with the known pricey kits no one wants to sell you the center bolt alone. I like his method of using a pilot bushing puller and just using a magnet for extracting center bolt out of the IMS shaft tube.

Well, Now I might have to rethink this. It seems VXB bearing is the distributor for Boca Bearings, the third one listed of failure. So many bearings out there. Oh boy! Still thanks,
Just for reference purposes (if anyone really cares), you should not reuse the center bolt, and that bearing is not the LN bearing.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:

If you visit Pedro's site and check his IMSB offerings you will see some choices.They all have the bigger,upgraded bolt.Then call him and ask if he has what you (thjnk) you want.
You can always substitute upgrade/different parts?

Last edited by Gelbster; 01-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #10

I understand the implications of reusing parts. I'm still searching for a center bolt alone. It's just sad that these major players kits force you to buy it with the their bearing. Even the author of those videos mentioned he couldn't purchase it alone. I wonder if Dealers sell it. Even if there was a chance they did it's probably a $$ part. Still researching.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
I understand the implications of reusing parts. I'm still searching for a center bolt alone. It's just sad that these major players kits force you to buy it with the their bearing. Even the author of those videos mentioned he couldn't purchase it alone. I wonder if Dealers sell it. Even if there was a chance they did it's probably a $$ part. Still researching.
There are two problems with the OEM center bolt; first, it has a significant under cut area where it is threaded, second it has an O-ring grove cut into it. Both of these significantly weaken the bolt, to the point that every one we have seen that failed, failed in one of these areas.

LN replacement on the left, factory on the right

In the process of extracting the old bearing, you have also stressed the center bolt, which is also not good for it.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-10-2017 at 01:26 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #12

Certainly good to know, thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #13
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
No Ball Bearing! No Problem says Raby. Home
Old 05-10-2017, 03:23 AM   #14

He does mention the source in this video. I'm still glad I went with a well known product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ33IxJZq54
Old 05-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #15

My biggest concern next to outright bearing failure is the OEM center bolt design. I wouldn't feel comfortable about reusing it, in much the same way I'd never reuse stretch bolts for a rod bearing cap or cylinder head.

Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote